The Golden Triangle GT Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice work guys. I'm up charlton way and just got in from adelaide. Never picked up much in dunolly but if i find anything up north of wedderburn I'll post in!

G'day all

March next year my wife and I are planning a trip to the Golden Triangle for about two
weeks , happy to move around anywhere , 4WD and a Jayco Outback , don't need power or water or facilities
just good campsites where we can camp and get detecting in the morning.
The problem is our travelling companions , a couple of old dishlickers who go everywhere with us.
I understand the National Parks are out of bounds but I am hoping with all the experience out
there that you can assist me with a few suggestions of nice little places to camp and have a swing.
Also I am driving an SDC 2300 and do not have much experience in reading the ground etc etc
so are happy to go over old mullock heaps chasing tiddlers or detecting creeks , forests , anywhere
as long there is a cold beer at the end of the day

Cheers

Ricko :D

Hey Ricko

We are always out and about in the golden triangle, particularly around Dunolly/ Maryborough. We take our dog out all the time and never had any issues with him or authorities.
We regularly see campers around Daisy hill in Amherst. If you have a Tully map of the area there is plenty of flat treed spots nears the Chinese baths. Do some homework and you will find them. Staying there will give you access to a lot of areas and a lot of scraped areas also which will work well on the outskirts with your machine.
Alternately Fryerstown around chokem flat is flat and shady and there is much to explore in that area which is underrated as a destination.
Goldsborough around specimen hill has some good ground for camping also. There's been some burns through there in recent months as well which opens up many possibilities.
Good luck and hope you have a good time in our area. :)

I don't think it's an issue to have dogs in the state forests but perhaps someone can confirm. Endless free camping around diggings.

goldtruck59 said:
Hey Ricko

We are always out and about in the golden triangle, particularly around Dunolly/ Maryborough. We take our dog out all the time and never had any issues with him or authorities.
We regularly see campers around Daisy hill in Amherst. If you have a Tully map of the area there is plenty of flat treed spots nears the Chinese baths. Do some homework and you will find them. Staying there will give you access to a lot of areas and a lot of scraped areas also which will work well on the outskirts with your machine.
Alternately Fryerstown around chokem flat is flat and shady and there is much to explore in that area which is underrated as a destination.
Goldsborough around specimen hill has some good ground for camping also. There's been some burns through there in recent months as well which opens up many possibilities.

Im glad to see you back old mate.....you cant beat local advice and you have given me some ideas! ;)

A few here as well Rick http://www.caravancaravan.com.au/region/golden-triangle/free-camping

Never had issues with my dog in the GT either.

Cheers

At Waanyarra between Dunolly and Tarnagulla there is a free camping ground with a water tank and rotunda type thing. Not far to get to Goldsborough too. Have heard of some nice bits from Avery gully there.

Metamorphic said:
goldtruck59 said:
Hey Ricko

Im glad to see you back old mate.....you cant beat local advice and you have given me some ideas! ;)

A few here as well Rick http://www.caravancaravan.com.au/region/golden-triangle/free-camping

Never had issues with my dog in the GT either.

Cheers

YEP SPENT A GAZZILLION HOURS OUT THAT WAY. THANKS FOR THE THOUGHTS MATE :)

Goldtruck , Jon , Metamorphic and Nuggetino

Thank you all , some great spots and tips , what a great looking Jacky Goldtruck , looks like a good
little gold hunter , we have only ever travelled quickly through the area on the way to snow or footy
so looking forward to having a good look around .
I will have the Kayak strapped on , so am looking to have a look around the Loddon River also ,
can't think of anything better than towing a lure , pulling in a fish on the way up a creek and having
a detect or a pan ( which I am still to do )

Cheers again

Ricko

Sounds like the life Ricko have a good time mate and lets hope you get two types of Yellows !!! Fish and Au :)

Hi all

I'm in Victoria for the Chrismas holidays and am planning to head to the golden triangle on 2 jan to rent a GPX5000 for the day.

I've never been before, so was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to detecting my first yellow? Was considering the Maryborough area, but not sure if that's a good spot to start out at? Would be super grateful for any advice :)

Thanks
Tom

Ohhh so many places to go.... dunolly clunes ballarat creswick yandoit castlemaine.... as redfin has already said best bang for buch would be to take a tour with one of the established hire rental shops and they will guide you well. Good luck out there remember to go slow :)

Head to tarnagulla, larncoorie tarnagulla rd great place to prospect there old diggings, great for gpx5000. Cheers good luck

Hi guys

Thanks for the tips. Ended up detecting just south of Maryborough.

These are the findings:
1420533083_nogold.jpg

Lots of lead, but unfortunately no gold. Nevertheless had a great time so decided to get an SDC2300. Now just gotta find some time to take it out and detect my first gold.

After a long warm summer here at the base of mountains, I finally take off tomorrow for the GT for a 6 week period ( lucky me :D ). This will be my third trip to the GT this year. The first two trips were a huge learning curve with lots of good advice from the campers around ( all prospectors) and also from a course I did with Coiltek Maryborough.

While at home during the summer I tried a few area's around home, including a friends farm on which a few leads are , all without luck, apart from horse shoes and nails and wire. There is gold around home, but it is very deep and nothing seems to come to, or near the surface.

Regards

Turps123

Good luck on your trip Turps, 6 weeks in the GT would be awesome.

Surely there is some colour to be found in that river near town. Have you tried the Buckland river too...plentyof spots to wash some dirt around your way.

Hi MJB,

Yes there is colour in the Ovens river and the Barwidgee creek, but they are on the exempt rivers and streams list.

In the early days these waterways were subject to hydraulic mining and did major damage to the area.

Yes been up the Buckland a few times ( without luck), most of the mining in that area is hard rock mining, mainly by the Chinese ( read about the Buckland Riots). Although I have seen people panning the Buckland river. I have also heard of a young lad who detected a large nugget, but that was only hearsay.

Regards

Turps123

Latest posts