Sinkholes......

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The new 'in' thing for your backyard.

If I get swallowed one day playing out the back, nice knowing you all ;)

SO I know I had alot of action going on in the backyard, and yes a tonne of sinkholes, lots of digging going on at some stage, piles etc etc
1379938363_water2.jpg

not alot grows here I figure its because it has some fairly decent groundwater going on and I know the groundwater here has a pretty high salt content. and has always been an issue with the mines here etc etc.
all down this gully above the holes that are visible are pretty huge as they go along.

Didn't think too much of it until the other day, going for daily drive up the back of a night, this section is the top of one of the gully's (pretty much the highest point of the property)
1379939372_water3.jpg

Dead flat ground and a tonne of water just flowing out of nice little holes in random places at the TOP of the gully.
Now I'm no scientist, but I this is NOT a good thing is it? :eek:

Thats a very interesting scenerio, at the top of the gully you said, was it raining at the time? Is there higher ground around close by with old deep lead workings on it? I'm interested to know the cause of that. Looks like a blown stormwater pipe or some such thing.

^ I'd be interested to know that as well, and if you wouldn't mind sharing a couple more pics that would be great.

my first thought was wondering if there could be fracking 5 miles away and the spurter you have was fracking juices they pump in to the ground to create cracks in the rock.

or that subsidence nearby is compressing the water table , causing water to shoot up through cracks where you took that photo

8)

I'm bush bush so no chance of a storm water drain, the pressure of them was insane, and yes we had had a good downpour.
Down the decent to the gully there was the same thing but did not expect it at the top!

And yes I do have mines to most directions of where I am some of the older bigger ones only a few Kms away.

Ill take some more pics when I get a chance. Fascinating me more than anything! Haha although I'm now being extra careful when driving around there lol HeadsUp has me convinced its a wee bit dangerous down there now

Yes I certainly would be careful were I was driving / walking / running stock. Subsidance is very common on the www1 battlefields of france where they had lots of underground dugouts, coms tunnels, & dorms, they are still finding lots of artifacts. also losing stock & machinery down the holes when they open up. Perhaps you could get hold of the GIS data for your area from the mines dept.

Grab some water and stick a pool ph tester in it.. or take it to a pool shop and ask them to test it for acids or alaklies.. anything out of around 6.8 - 7.8 I would be calling in some experts...

Especially if it just appeared after no significant rain event...

I have also noticed on your posts that you have some mine shafts, are there any on the other side of the hill that may be flooded and the water is coming from them?

Good luck with it

Tone

That's why I said be careful out there in your other thread. :) I saw an article about I think Bendigo and it was about the rising water table due to all the mining, the water is toxic also, here's the link. I hope you are not in this type of situation. Link is below.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-23/old-mine-on-the-nose-in-central-goldfields/4908708

With that much water moving up from underground there must be erosion which may lead to sinkholes forming.

Anyway, be bloody careful out there, again.

Well the more I look into it guys its sounding more and more like exactly what is happening here.
The section where theres major sinkholes happening, Nothing grows. theres gums, but no undergrowth (and anyone that knows anything about siftwood knows how bloody hard it is to keep that away) this part, it doesn't grown AT ALL
more piccies for you guys
1380715914_hole.jpg

1380715990_drift.jpg

^^ red dots where the water was spurting from (not exactly but you get the idea haha)
haha I'm going to do my best to explain the layout without it getting too confusing.

1 - top of gully - lots of sinkholes
2 - Gully - natural creek when floods
3. Top of gully, flattens to farmland
Red... where the water was spurting from
1380716089_ours.jpg

A = my place
Yellow - Mines that I know about
Green is the main greenstone belt
1380716353_mines.jpg

now looking at googlemaps! i never noticed this across the road?! I've been trying to hunt down the location on a 'mineral occurrence mine' thats been noted on this road, this looks like a quarry yes??
obviously going for a walk across the road tomorrow to suss it out LOL
1380716493_road.jpg

The water coming out of the ground could they be springs?

I see quite a few places where water seeps out of the ground & often on a hill side or on a road(even a high part of the road...).

In some paddocks there's green lush grass patches no matter how bad a drought there is.

After rain they flow more - I guess coz the water table may rise somewhat.

You should drop a plumb line down the holes and see how deep they are hehe

In another thread you mentioned about your neigbour having a explor lease on their land, does yours have one? be worth finding out, and if it does, contacting to owner of that least and ask if they have done drilling in the past on your property.

The pic in post #10 has the holes looking suspiciously round...giving weight to Brisjoe's suggestion.

Latest posts