Hambledon Plantation (Cairns history questions)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 2 questions about the old Hambledon Plantation up here in sunny Cairns. Surely someone will have the answers.
1) Where is the location of the original Swallow residence? I've been driving around and trying to match it up with photos I have but to no avail really. I know the central area of the plantation is where Sugarworld now stands, I just figured the residence would have been further back into the hills. One visitor mentioned how much cooler it was than in Cairns. and I just pictured it up a bit higher closer to Isabella falls or a little south of the falls. I'm probably way off haha.
2) Is probably an easier one: Is the Edmonton boat ramp the site of Swallow's original wharf? And would the tram lines have been on what is now Fisherman road?

I read about these old timers and can't help following them around for a bit lol.

Cheers for any replies.

I have 2 questions about the old Hambledon Plantation up here in sunny Cairns. Surely someone will have the answers.
1) Where is the location of the original Swallow residence? I've been driving around and trying to match it up with photos I have but to no avail really. I know the central area of the plantation is where Sugarworld now stands, I just figured the residence would have been further back into the hills. One visitor mentioned how much cooler it was than in Cairns. and I just pictured it up a bit higher closer to Isabella falls or a little south of the falls. I'm probably way off haha.
2) Is probably an easier one: Is the Edmonton boat ramp the site of Swallow's original wharf? And would the tram lines have been on what is now Fisherman road?

I read about these old timers and can't help following them around for a bit lol.

Cheers for any replies.
How far back in time did the residence/tramlines exist?
If it was post war, see if you can locate it on qimagery.

Thanks for the reply mate. The timeline is roughly 1880s -1890s, so a bit further back in time. I'm thinking I need to buy a book or two to start filling in all the gaps I have.

I have a much better idea of where the chalet was now. All the info was right there in the article, I just needed to re-read it haha. I'd say the wharf was at Edmonton boat ramp too. It is the most direct route down to Trinity Inlet from what was the plantation, and there aren't really any other places it could have been. No other roads in the general area, even now. So, I'm good on these two questions now in case anyone pops in.

Latest posts