silent newbies and guests.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As with a lot of forums there are always those who participate and those who hang back, some just not wanting to sound 'inexperienced' or thinking they may be scoffed at for asking what they consider a silly question (the only silly question is the one that never gets asked).
There are also many pure 'information leeches' who suck up information and have no intention of contributing ...
Some forums have restricted 'members only' areas for more specific information, a good idea to help keep pure leeches at bay.
We should also note that there are many prospectors out there who go nowhere near the internet or forum ... they are also part of a great community and I've learnt much from discussions with many while out fossicking.
We also have the PM option, a great way to disseminate 'sensitive' information between members.
Otherwise having a ball, and relieving boredom at work by regularly checking in to see what's going on around the traps.
Cheers Tom

Forums don't really change, so I have witnessed over the last 8 to 10 years. I disagree that prospecting is a hobby, by definition, prospecting is just the micro of mineral exploration. Personally I think that if you don't want to derive an income from it, then your a collector, not a prospector. There is nothing derogatory with that statement, but implied in the definition of a prospector is the minor scale similarities. So if a member or watcher is using the information to earn, good on them.

I think there was a string about strangers approaching in the field. I think today some of our ozzie spirit has dwindled, people are afraid. Scared, intimidated I'm not sure. If someone approaches me in the field, I welcome them with a beer or coffee, depending on whether the sun is over the yard arm or not. Discuss, pitch in and help, why not. In any given year I reckon that I must give away between 10 to 20 pans and sniffer bottles to people I run into. Not everyone, but someone that demonstrates a keen interest.

If people earn a dollar from anything I have contributed, good on them I reckon. As I have said before if you make a good find and I contributed, don't thank me, don't buy me a beer, but next time the salvo's pass through the front bar, knock on your door, share a little good fortune, so that those that are doing it hard, may smile, even if it is only short lived. Our history as prospectors is, that our forging fathers did it hard, and felt hard times as well.

So as long as they aren 't destructive, the old saying of, if you've got nothing good to say, then say nothing comes mind. Back in the mid 1900's governments gave out picks, shovels and pans. If in the information age we are now giving out information, seems only right. Oh no prospector is going to give 8 figure grid references to a spot that is still earning him, but methods, practises and experience whats the harm.

I think the differences here are many....and i am a member of more than a few forums. Its great to be on a forum that has great admin and moderators (you guys really are a credit and please take that as a sincere compliment) you have a whole bunch of great contributers and threads, people appear to be using the forum as intended, a place where knowledge and mateship can grow organically, and where people are made to feel welcome. I think nundle is a prime example of emulating our forefathers, a gathering of people with a common goal, and a great example of what can happen when people find an environment that is friendly and accepting. You can learn more here in a month than a year in texts, and greater still than time in the field. And i can say my experience out in the fields has already been enhanced and enriched due to the generosity of the members here. It gets me excited encourages me and opens up different points of view and techniques. In short i have a great time here, and I look forward to what the future holds.

I really enjoy the articles and advice that is shared on this forum even though I don't contribute much in the way of knowledge as my detecting for gold has been very limited...so much so that I gave my son the GP 3000 to use for a while...I find it more enjoyable wandering around with the ex-terra 305 chasing coins and such, plus it is not as hard yakka as wandering about the scrub

I'd say that you can see the real Australia here, in the way we all are and the way we talk with our friends from overseas !

Village said:
Forums don't really change, so I have witnessed over the last 8 to 10 years. I disagree that prospecting is a hobby, by definition, prospecting is just the micro of mineral exploration. Personally I think that if you don't want to derive an income from it, then your a collector, not a prospector. There is nothing derogatory with that statement, but implied in the definition of a prospector is the minor scale similarities. So if a member or watcher is using the information to earn, good on them.

I think there was a string about strangers approaching in the field. I think today some of our ozzie spirit has dwindled, people are afraid. Scared, intimidated I'm not sure. If someone approaches me in the field, I welcome them with a beer or coffee, depending on whether the sun is over the yard arm or not. Discuss, pitch in and help, why not. In any given year I reckon that I must give away between 10 to 20 pans and sniffer bottles to people I run into. Not everyone, but someone that demonstrates a keen interest.

If people earn a dollar from anything I have contributed, good on them I reckon. As I have said before if you make a good find and I contributed, don't thank me, don't buy me a beer, but next time the salvo's pass through the front bar, knock on your door, share a little good fortune, so that those that are doing it hard, may smile, even if it is only short lived. Our history as prospectors is, that our forging fathers did it hard, and felt hard times as well.

So as long as they aren 't destructive, the old saying of, if you've got nothing good to say, then say nothing comes mind. Back in the mid 1900's governments gave out picks, shovels and pans. If in the information age we are now giving out information, seems only right. Oh no prospector is going to give 8 figure grid references to a spot that is still earning him, but methods, practises and experience whats the harm.

Good post but "collectors"? :lol: I would think fossickers at worst & regardless of aspirations I don't think the term prospector is totally incorrect. Whether you aspire to earn an income or not most enjoy the romantic notion of following in the footsteps of the old time prospectors, exploring areas in the hope of one day finding that deposit or at least patch. I think all of us would love to be deriving an income from it but work & other responsibilities get in the way :D
Not having a shot Village just offering an opinion. What needs to be remembered is that these forums are mostly used by amateur prospectors/fossickers/hobbyists, call us/them whatever, not professionals, although when professional advice is given it is appreciated. Not everyone has the means or is even inclined to go to the income making level. If you can cover costs it would be great but most probably don't & they probably don't care either - just love getting out there. ;)
If people want to contribute or not shouldn't make any difference to those who do. A lot may not feel comfortable about contributing if the aren't sure especially when the discussion gets technical so why not just read & learn. Maybe down the track they will contribute something in return, maybe not?

It's the best site...how many times I have read about someone's test results with the new coil or high banker or pans, and I can "feel" the excitement that they come on line to share their info and put it into words.. I love that.

I might not get on board as much as others, but if there is something I can share I certainly don't worry about being maligned by others, I think it only reflects back on those
who respond negatively.

Great work by moderators and Nugget. I know you have great support by all.

Regards RR

i love this forum, i was just a guest for a bit and found this site the best of all the ones i have looked at so i joined, very little knowledge or experience to share but gaining so much from a great group of like minded people on here and i guess sooner or later i will be able to share stories, finds and adventures of my own, just want to say thanks to all that make it possible on here

Doesn't matter to me mbasko, I didn't write the worldwide definition of a prospector, just highlighted thats all. I agree with most you say, I have no idea to whom the topic was referring. Give a man a pan, a shovel and courage to get out and have a go, his a prospector. I don't advocate people spending money on equipment, what I do advocate is utilising the resources you already have. Oh an exception, is the field safety issue, I think more could spend less on somethings and more on the protection of their own life.

Gidday Woolshed. Have you done any detecting around Eldorado? if so, can you tell me if the finds are worth it.
I spoke to one bloke there, he told me of a guy that detects around Eldorado, he finds nuggets of around a gram or two, could he be right?

Cheers. Bull

woolshed said:
Hi Silver, I am a silent newbie. I joined the Forum yesterday and just having a look around. :)

Cheers, Woolshed.

Hi Woolshed, archaeology and detective reasoning,...living in the past as your reading it (pictures are a good help too), I like seeing the shortcuts people used to take (some good finds there)

Hi Bull. I don't know of any gold being detected at or near Eldorado. Most is flakes out of the creek. But you never know. I go through Eldorado , Woolshed Valley and on to Beechworth every weekend and have done for thirty years. But not looking for Gold.

Cheers, Woolshed.

Hello to all, I am another newbie to the forum, the amount of info in incredible. When you take the time to read the old posts most if not all your questions get answered. The info i have found most useful is

What type of pans work best
Bunnings sluice that i have now made to run off a old bilge pump I had in the shed
Where in a river is a good place to start looking
Even a ruff idea where to go from Bundaberg to start looking

This group is extremely helpful and i hope in time someone can say the same for me. For now i will keep reading and dig some more gravel and see what is there.

Latest posts