Ross River Virus

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone had one of the many similar virus's?
Barmah Forrest virus for eg?
My local GP thinks I might I have it, RRV.
Really bad joint and muscle pain, rash.....
Shoulders, anckles and fingers for the joint pain.
No real treatment for it either.

I don't like it much.....

Yep, caught a dose of it a few years back on a fishing trip down south, Dave. The same symptoms as you describe, I thought it was the flu, but blood tests showed RRV. The worst part of the virus is once you get it, you've always got it - it will sneak up and hit you time and time again and there's bugger all you can do to stop it, except drinking copious amounts of Bundy Rum, known to cure coughs, colds, sore holes, brewers droop and tapeworm. :D

Jeff

Yup got it about 10 years ago on the far north coast of NSW, since then I've discovered that it's prevalent throughout Australia ... including Tassie. I sympathise as it ain't much fun.

I can cope with the pain....a bit, but will be glad when the rash is gone.
Shoulder pain was the worse, couldn't open high cupboards, forget about swimming, even found it hard to get my arm out of the car window.
Played guitar for about 10 minutes, then my wrist and fingers felt like arthritis..... Day 7 today from the start of symptoms.....could be worse though, other people have much bigger problems.

snafu said:
davent said:
One bloke I know reckons alcohol brings it back on!

Captain Morgan for me, Bundy is more like metho with rum essence added.

I don't mind the occasional guzzle of Captain Morgan - a fine drop it is, but me being a proud Queenslander, I was weaned on Bundy.

Jeff

I used to drink Bundy all the time, its an OK rum.
But the only reason I drink it now, is the same reason I drink xxxx gold, every one I drink, is one less for a bloody Queenslander!

davent said:
snafu said:
davent said:
One bloke I know reckons alcohol brings it back on!

Captain Morgan for me, Bundy is more like metho with rum essence added.

I don't mind the occasional guzzle of Captain Morgan - a fine drop it is, but me being a proud Queenslander, I was weaned on Bundy.

Jeff

I used to drink Bundy all the time, its an OK rum.
But the only reason I drink it now, is the same reason I drink xxxx gold, every one I drink, is one less for a bloody Queenslander!

Haha, and here I was thinking the opposite - the more I consume of Queenslands finest drop, the less to be shared with anybody else. I've got a mate down the road who I supply with empty Bundy bottles and he often drops in with a bottle of his home brew - a cross between battery acid, paint stripper, avgas and some other high strength solvent, only to be drunk when everything else has run out. Vile stuff, but I still drink it :awful:

Jeff

Ross river nailed me in 98, pretty much spent a month in bed and lived on brufin.
For me alcohol brings on symptoms so I 100% stopped drinking, last few years havent been to bad.
It was a reportable illness when I was diagnosed, is that still the case?

People that dont take it easy when first getting Ross river seem to end up with chronic fatigue so I would recommend using up your sick leave mate.

Been off sick 3 days and have had 6 rdo's in between.
I feel like I have no energy anyway. And the bloody rash is on the top of both feet now anyway, so boots are out!
It seems some people don't get a rash to start with, but the GP tells me it is part of the symptoms of both RRV and Barmah Forrest among a few other moaquito borne bugs.

We were camped at Daintree one year and a young bloke camped next to us with some mates was playing cricket in the afternoon, perfectly healthy, and was taken to hospital next morning with RRF. He was brought back after a week and we didn't recognise him, he had lost about two stone and looked terrible, not a disease I would like to catch.

davent said:

Hi davent, havent been affected personally but I do know that my grandfather who served in ww2 Borneo, New Guinea ect coped it real bad as did a large proportion of the diggers! :N: could you imagine having been exposed to these types of viruses and feeling the way that you do now and having to still try and fight a war ? :eek:
Anyway try and get rest, keep ya chin up and I hope you feel better soon.

Hi Davent, had the same joint and muscle pain but no rash, bloods confirm both RRV and BFV. Doctor said pain will settle after awhile and had to pay for that advice as well.
Was suggested by a nurse, I try this product by BioCeuticals called THERACURMIN TRIPLE. I took 2 tablets daily for a week and then 1 daily, pain gone after 1st week.
They are a bit expensive, but they work for me, can get them at Chemist Warehouse now.
Check them out may help with your pain, if you try them make sure you get the Triple, as they make cheaper product, but it's not as strong.
Cheers and good luck, John.

Licking windows said:
davent said:

Hi davent, havent been affected personally but I do know that my grandfather who served in ww2 Borneo, New Guinea ect coped it real bad as did a large proportion of the diggers! :N: could you imagine having been exposed to these types of viruses and feeling the way that you do now and having to still try and fight a war ? :eek:

Ross River Virus was discovered in 1963, it was more likely your Grandfather had Malaria as did my late dad who was sent home from borneo with many others
during WW2 Regards

Thanks John.
Took the dog to the beach yesterday arvo, walked about a total of 2km.
Today, feel like I ran a marathon!
I have been swimming 2 km and walking 8km nearly everyday I had off, but that's out ATM.
I reckon that's when the mozzies got me, walking late arvo.

Harbourmaster said:
Licking windows said:
davent said:

Ross River Virus was discovered in 1963, it was more likely your Grandfather had Malaria as did my late dad who was sent home from borneo with many others
during WW2 Regards

Gday harbourmaster, youre spot on and thanks for the clarification :Y:
Is malaria also known as dengue fever? These viruses are related with mosquito,s arent they?
Either way they all get the big :N: :N:

Got Ross River in 2012. Dr scratched his head and said most people loose weight when they get it....I ate my way out of it.lol :)

Licking windows said:
Harbourmaster said:
Licking windows said:
davent said:

during WW2 Regards

Gday harbourmaster, youre spot on and thanks for the clarification :Y:
Is malaria also known as dengue fever? These viruses are related with mosquito,s arent they?
Either way they all get the big :N: :N:

No, dengue is not malaria.
But like malaria, dengue has different strains.
Malaria is way worse than dengue or RRV/F.
Yes, both are mosquito borne, but malaria is a parasite, and dengue and Ross River fever are a virus carried by mozzies. There is no cure for any of them.

Haven't had RR or Malaria, don't know how I'll go if I get them as I got Q-Fever back around 2000, similar symptoms to RR, but killer headaches for a couple of weeks; just as well there wasn't a gun in the house... man it was bad! Off and virtually bed ridden for around 3 months and that's what forced us to sell the farm, work load was too high.

Still get seriously fatigued and takes a long time for the body to recover, hate to think what could happen if I get anything like the others on top of the Q, which is also one that never goes away!

Latest posts