Ross River Virus

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sympathize bloke,, Q sounds terrible.
Had a tough day today, legs and ankles, had trouble pushing the clutch in when going to get panadol and neurofen!
Still, it won't last for ever, and at least I have some sick leave up my sleeve. Glad to, I reckon I'd be a ball and chain at work.

I have had multiple bouts of malaria even cerebral malaria during my 15 years plus in PNG and also Dengue fever. Malaria can be experienced in so many different ways, sometimes just flu like symptoms and aching joints and raging temperatures. Other times it can hit you very hard and fast leaving you a cot case within a few hours. These days after a 14 day regime of Primiquin you can live malaria free unless the mossies get you again. Dengue was worse for me rashes temperatures and skin so sore I could nor stand a shirt or a sheet over me and whilst I have been malaria free for five years now I still get the Dengue rash, high temperatures and the feeling of being run over by a truck periodically.
davent said:
Licking windows said:
Harbourmaster said:
Licking windows said:
davent said:
Anyone had one of the many similar virus's?
Barmah Forrest virus for eg?
My local GP thinks I might I have it, RRV.
Really bad joint and muscle pain, rash.....
Shoulders, anckles and fingers for the joint pain.
No real treatment for it either.

I don't like it much.....

Hi davent, havent been affected personally but I do know that my grandfather who served in ww2 Borneo, New Guinea ect coped it real bad as did a large proportion of the diggers! :N: could you imagine having been exposed to these types of viruses and feeling the way that you do now and having to still try and fight a war ? :eek:
Anyway try and get rest, keep ya chin up and I hope you feel better soon.

Ross River Virus was discovered in 1963, it was more likely your Grandfather had Malaria as did my late dad who was sent home from borneo with many others
during WW2 Regards

Gday harbourmaster, youre spot on and thanks for the clarification :Y:
Is malaria also known as dengue fever? These viruses are related with mosquito,s arent they?
Either way they all get the big :N: :N:

No, dengue is not malaria.
But like malaria, dengue has different strains.
Malaria is way worse than dengue or RRV/F.
Yes, both are mosquito borne, but malaria is a parasite, and dengue and Ross River fever are a virus carried by mozzies. There is no cure for any of them.

Sounds like hell Bill.
My skin is also starting to get painful.Rash still there but not so itchy anymore.
Woke up around 5 am this morning with aching joints.
Ankles and fingers this time. Hard to explain, guess its a bit like arteritis.

Too late Jaros, once you got it , you got it.
I effects people in different ways, some get recurrences from time to time, some don't.

davent, you get used to it but the joint pains come and go. Many, many worse of than us but I understand your concerns. You just get used to living with it. Had a mate in southern NSW who got RR and he could no longer work at his trade. :( :(

Dave I got hit with RRV back in 2014, half of Laverton got it.

The joint aches were debilitating.

Someone suggested zapping myself with a jigger (cattle prod) or grabbing an electric fence which apparently is an old bush cure. Thought it was a bit of a wives tale but in desperation was willing to try anything.

I charged up the jigger and zapped myself on the hand, I could hardly bend my fingers. The relief was almost immeadiate and I don't recall having a problem since.

May not work for everyone, but did for me.

madtuna said:
Dave I got hit with RRV back in 2014, half of Laverton got it.

The joint aches were debilitating.

Someone suggested zapping myself with a jigger (cattle prod) or grabbing an electric fence which apparently is an old bush cure. Thought it was a bit of a wives tale but in desperation was willing to try anything.

I charged up the jigger and zapped myself on the hand, I could hardly bend my fingers. The relief was almost immeadiate and I don't recall having a problem since.

May not work for everyone, but did for me.

Come on MT it sounds like your humour is in overdrive :lol: :lol: :lol: but then again thankfully I haven't suffered from it, heard it's horrible.

Nope true as can be RM. Yep it was nasty, I remember crawling because I couldn't get up

madtuna said:
Nope true as can be RM. Yep it was nasty, I remember crawling because I couldn't get up

Not nice :( and hope I never get it. One of the blokes on Aussie Opal Hunters was crook as can be in last week's episode, was diagnosed with Barmah Forest Virus and he was in QLD :8 He didn't look well at all, bloody mosquito's are deadly little critters.

madtuna said:
Only pussies get Bahmah... :D real men get Ross River!

:lol: :lol: :lol: the really stupid thing with the bloke in QLD is that's where the Ross River is :lol: and Barmah Forest in Vic :8

Been off for two weeks now, either getting better or getting used to it.
Stupid thing is, string around bored out of my mind for two weeks, got up out of the couch, and now I have siatica as bloody well!!!! Ffs....

Gentle rocking of the hips sideways, then backwards and forwards to loosen up, then stay mobile, plus the old tennis ball trick under the point of pain both help.
Hula hoop movement also can assist to loosen things up and if it doesn't work at least everyone else gets a good belly laugh watching you. :) :)

Its weird, I've had it before, but last time the pain went down my backside and down my ham string, left leg as well as lower back pain.
This time its just lower back, although my left leg feels longer than my right, so it is probably hip related....pain not bad today, must be on the mend!

Think I'm just used to RRV now , the aches have eased, rash gone, just feel run down and tired now. :skull:

Had Ross River Virus in the late eighties while opal mining in Lightning Ridge. For one night I was delirious with a fever that broke about midday, then had bad joint pain that lasted a couple of weeks. I was fine after that and got back to mining, never had any trouble since.

Don't believe every thing said about RRV, you will most likely be OK with no long term affects.

Latest posts