PLB - Personal Safety in the Bush

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the gme plb 7 year battery gme want $200 to put a new battery in it. Bought the kti instead, has a 10 year battery life is much smaller lighter, the KTI is an awesome bit of KIT

Anyone want to buy a GME with an out of date battery ?

I can only talk about the West but yes, a PLB is essential gear...however...if you think your going to activate it and help will be there in an hour then your dreaming.
If your prospecting over here then reliable communications is your number one priority. To the best of my knowledge, sat phones are the best option out here...if you can't afford one then your in the wrong hobby.

+1 to all the above, except that I carry a ResQLink PLB which I like due to its neoprene belt carrier and its tiny size (I believe it may be the smallest available?).

Available in Oz for $280 - $300. Cheap insurance.

I carry a ResQLink PLB which I like due to its neoprene belt carrier and its tiny size (I believe it may be the smallest available?).

Available in Oz for $280 - $300. Cheap insurance.

In any event, all the 406 MHz PLBs have accuracy down to a few metres. Down to your preferences really.

That said, you MUST register any PLB you get with AMSA. In your own interest really.

We purchased the Kti, has the 10 year battery and ours came with arm band pouch,delivered for $259.00. Had a Fast Find before and they wanted $290.00 for new battery and apparently it had to be realigned and was going to take some months to do owing to shortage of batteries, but it was also less accurate, a much bigger search area, the Kti seems to be more accurate and thus less time finding you if needed. :Y: :Y:

We purchased the Kti, has the 10 year battery and ours came with arm band pouch,delivered for $259.00. Had a Fast Find before and they wanted $290.00 for new battery and apparently it had to be realigned and was going to take some months to do owing to shortage of batteries, but it was also less accurate, a much bigger search area, the Kti seems to be more accurate and thus less time finding you if needed. thumbsup thumbsup

HF Radio is another very handy device to have in your vehicle.
Bought a Barrett 550 ten+ years ago, reception all over Australia inc Tasmania. Was a member of VKS-737 for a number of years until they got greedy.
Ability to make radio/telephone calls back home.
If you want to catch up on world news you can even tune into multiple radio stations around the world inc BBC.

Nightjar said:
Bought a Barrett 550 ten+ years ago, reception all over Australia inc Tasmania. Was a member of VKS-737 for a number of years until they got greedy.
If you want to catch up on world news you can even tune into multiple radio stations around the world inc BBC.

I have an Icom 706MK11G running through an LDG IT100 Auto tuner. I string up G5RV 40-10 Metre band feed line = 45-90 feet of 50 ohm coax.
It can be used as an inverted "V" or horizonrally with the centre 36 ft at least from the ground. Power via an Anderson plug beside the towbar/hitchbar/Lighting config. Gotta keep an eye on power as us uses up to 100 Watts.
I have to use a slinghshot to get the height at each end and centre.
Jaros VK4NLS

Jaros said:
Nightjar said:

I have an Icom 706MK11G running through an LDG IT100 Auto tuner. I string up G5RV 40-10 Metre band feed line = 45-90 feet of 50 ohm coax.
It can be used as an inverted "V" or horizonrally with the centre 36 ft at least from the ground. Power via an Anderson plug beside the towbar/hitchbar/Lighting config. Gotta keep an eye on power as us uses up to 100 Watts.
I have to use a slinghshot to get the height at each end and centre.
Jaros VK4NLS

Now carry that in your day pack Jaros. :awful:

Cheers

Doug

Sorry just off topic for a sec, Jaros, just handed my licence in VK2NAZ, not used for many years, bit like the forum sometimes, everybody had better gear or what ever, lots of spats and keying over others.

...and I know I'm harping on.....but it's 43 outside and I've got aircon in here!!

Nightjars post about hf's is good...as long as your with your vehicle. Please remember that if you use a PLB someone should get to you
eventually...that may be a day or two? A PLB should not (in my opinion) be your primary or only method of communications in WA...you need reliable coms such as a sat phone or HF and some phone numbers to call in the area your in....yet another reason why getting along with the local pastoralist is a good thing if possible.
The key is to be as self sufficient as you can....you make break down for example....you call the nearest town and the locals there charge you a small fortune to come and recover you and your vehicle..ok..thats the price you pay in the bush sometimes....far better that than waiting for the local police to mobilise...you with little water and temps rising etc etc...nip potentially life threatning situations in the bud with reliable communications....and that's not the mobile phone either!!

Yep into our 12th day straight of over 40 and a few more to go before a change.

Sat phone has saved my bum 3 time so far this year with remote break downs, the last time was Sunday. Before I got the sat phone it was footing it back in obscene heat, the longest walk being 27 klms. I doubt Id make it now.

madtuna said:
Yep into our 12th day straight of over 40 and a few more to go before a change.

Sat phone has saved my bum 3 time so far this year with remote break downs, the last time was Sunday. Before I got the sat phone it was footing it back in obscene heat, the longest walk being 27 klms. I doubt Id make it now.

At least now you have your homing pigeon Steve, just remember to keep the batteries charged. :lol:

Cheers

Doug

Gold1hunter said:
Had the gme plb 7 year battery gme want $200 to put a new battery in it. Bought the kti instead, has a 10 year battery life is much smaller lighter, the KTI is an awesome bit of KIT

Anyone want to buy a GME with an out of date battery ?

GH - Re the batteries: The only applications that require 'in-date' batteries in a PLB are for aviation and marine. As a detectorist / bushwalker / 4WDer, there's no obligation to observe calendar time. They will last for a few years after 'expiry', as the dates are designed to be conservative.

Hard Luck said:
Bush Chook said:
I carry a ResQLink PLB which I like due to its neoprene belt carrier and its tiny size (I believe it may be the smallest available?).

hmmm...it's usually a debate about who has the biggest :lol: , but in this case it's the opposite.

I still think mine is smaller.

Ocean Signal rescueME PLB1
Height: 77mm
Width: 51mm
Depth: 32.5mm
Weight: 166g

ACR ResQLink PLB
Height 99
Width 48
Depth 33
Weight 130g

Swings and roundabouts. We've both got small ones. :D