Minelab GPX4000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks GD
And thanks mbasko
besides price witch would be the better .
tryhard1968 has the side mount battery's .
He seemed very happy with it , and not needing to wear back pack and leads tying you to machine .
Thanks for your help .
:)

its really personal preference mate, i used to run detectormods side mount setup, booster and all and found it great to be wirefree but there is a little more forearm fatigue associated and i now run either a backpack with battery or belt with battery pack for headphones.

if you dont detect for more than 3/4 hours at a time id be grabbing the little one but with that you will need a new case etc. big battery can last a whole weekend away.

Thanks GD
Normally go about 2.5 to 3 hours detecting then brake it up use the blower for couple hours then depending
on my energy levels have another swing . till ive had enough .
So I will hold off for a week or so before making a decision .
And gauge any other opinions given and go from there .
Thanks again .
:)

PhaseTech said:
Posted today mate, but never got an email from you??

Awesome arrived today wow that was fast :eek: Thanks

Still a bit undecided on the gpx 4000 battery
Not any real hurry having loads of fun with the sdc . its going to be better now with ear plugs not the big
sweat box head phones no chit almost needed a water proof pair :lol: :lol:

Just a warning about the NEW batteries/GPX4k/boosters.....i had tried to re-vamp my OEM 4K battery with much frustration, cost and eventual disappointment (ymmv) and in the end bought the new 5K battery.

Be aware if you had previously used a booster (i was using the DETacc) Super Sound and if turned on/off in the right sequence will be OK, but if not...... :( :mad: 8.( ...it ended in tears as i have now blown the 'bridge' inside two (2x) units...what should have been a $100-150 deal has now cost me over $600.

Just my 0.02c

Gypsy

Hi Gypsy
Um no I dont use a booster only ever use head phones :)
I was thinking about the side mount battery,s and loss the back pack sweat blanket .
still haveing loads of fun with sdc .

G'day all,

I understand that the 4000 battery does not have an inbuilt booster where as the 4500 and 5000 batteries do however can the 4000 battery still be used on a 4500 or 5000?

Hey Guys I went for the coiltek standard battery they suit 4000 - 5000 gpx and then in the future can add the ex speaker if wanted to :D
But think I will stick with headphones after feed back from others .
But after saying that I got the coiltek unit because I forgot to order the side mount before a trip and needed one that day and coiltek was open and close to me .

Good choice dam it....in the future you will only need to buy a replacement pack, unplug/plug in and your done....

GGA

I would like headphones, but with the humidity up here, my ears fill with sweat in about 3 minutes.
Is the coiltek battery the same as the minelab?

Okay found out today the GPX4000 battery will not work on a GPX4500 and GPX5000 and not to try it.

Miners Den Parramatta. Sweaty ears, try ripping up an old winter sheets & use pieces of it as a covering.

Hi all I purchased a GPX 4000 for a couple of gorillas with the view of upgrading it . However after speaking to detector mods who have stated they can get it to z class , I then spoke to Israel jones who mods aswell and warned me to be careful of detector mods. So looks like I may of done a couple of gorillas but have a GPX 4000. Just wondering on thoughts about modification and how well does the GPX 4000 go finding small and large gold compared to what detectors are out there? Kind regards Danny

Woody vs Isreal.
Ford vs Holden.
Toyota vs Nissan.
Chiropractor Vs Orthopedics.
They will never praise the opposition.
Just run the 4000, it will beep at the right time, IF you walk over it.

Personally I wouldn't dream of modding a gpx. Minelab didn't put countless hours and dollars into developing them just so some bloke in a garage can have a tinker with them and make them on par with the best detector in the world.
Anyone that tells you they can modify a gpx to be on par with a Z should be avoided like the plague as they are either mentally retarded, a con artist, a scammer or just have a really distorted sense or reality. Probably all of the above or a lot of one!
I'm not against modifying things for the better however minelab got these detectors pretty spot on from the get go. I'm sure there's guys capable of modifying gpx's for very modest gains that more than likely won't be the difference between you finding gold or not.

Personally I haven't used a 4000 however I do own a 4500 and a 7000 and I know they are both great machines. I'm sure someone can chime in on the 4000 capabilities.

Latest posts