Minelab GPX4000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh JP's video's on the GPX series detectors are very well done!

I recommended them in another thread, copped a bit of flack for it......cant work out why?

Nice choice Bonacini, hope they help in your quest for the heavy stuff mate. ;)

Totally Agree.

I bought the Gpx 5000 series and also
purchased the one for the GP3500.

JP's experience is awesome and learnt how
Powerful the enhance setting is on the 5000.

Will always buy jp's dvds when buying a
Different minelab.

Thanks for sharing.

The best thing about JP's DVD's is having them to watch again to refresh/re-inforce what your doing. Even if people choose to do some type of training in the field it's always good to be able to refer back to the DVD's at your leisure. Haven't watched the GPX4000 one but have watched a few others & they were all helpful.
I have seen on another forum that JP won't be doing a DVD on the GPZ7000 which is a shame. Would have been good to watch regardless of if you had one or not to get a better understanding of how it ticks.

I've asked this before but thought I might get some new info . Looking for best settings for hill end type area . Have a standard dd and access to 15" mono( thanks Heatho ). Any info would be nice. :)
Thanks

Barney

My take on it after checking the manual is to try Sensitive Extra if using the DD on mildish ground, if the ground is too hot and the signal is unstable then try Normal, if still a bit unstable then try Sensitive Smooth. Sensitive smooth should miss most hotrocks and stuff too but may be suited to the mono coil better than the DD, alternatively you can switch your DD onto mono and use the left side of the coil which will make it very sensitive to smaller targets.

Hope someone experienced with a 4k can offer better ideas for you mate.

hi Barney

you likely have the factory presets sorted...

check out the following 2 posts for different views on the settings
the second one in particular is interesting... i cant comment on its effectiveness as i have not found any gold with my 4000 yet...
6 months in and its more challenging than my Excalibur to find gold that's for sure! :D

ill be spending a little time up that way myself shortly... my job has just been sent to china... a little good can come out of bad ;-)

maybe see you up there?

http://www.finders.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3442

cheers

jason

ps... what sort of duc you ride?

Thanks for the help . It'll work anyway:)
Duc was a monster.. Written off . Two serious injury in a year . Leg still bad .Going detecting for a couple of weeks on it prob not the best .. But this is necessary :)

Hi folks...I know this "should" perhaps be under MD or Minelab forums (so mods please move if you see fit to do so), but i wanted it to be exposed to the greatest number of readers to hopefully get the good mail for this particular setup.

I'm wondering if anyone using a GPX 4000 has done any testing of the newer CT & NF coils, and better yet if you have tried a comparison between both side by side? It would also be of help if you are in the GT as this is my hunting ground so direct comparisons will be more relevant and obvious.

I'm looking at the most cost effective way of enhancing my prospecting without trying to find $10K, or even $5K for that matter, and if all the recent reports of these coils with the 5K are anything to go by, it seems to be the better option for me for now. I'd just like some feedback to finalize my choice before laying down the dough in the next week or two.

So if you have a 4K and use one, both or the other of these coils, please jump in with a field report of your findings, good or bad.

Be nice to read any reports of the above setup side by side against a similar 5K setup as well if possible.

Thanks In Advance....

Cheers
Gypsy

Good Evening,

I very recently purchased a used Minelab GPX 4000 as my first detector to learn on. I have been on 2 fully inclusive tours in the past and that is the full extent of my experience. I'm definitely a newbie and plan on doing most of my detecting around Maryborough Victoria. I'll be aiming at spending about 6-8 hours a week detecting.

Can you please recommend what accessories that you use and find to be very helpful? If you can take the mindset of I'm totally brand new to detecting and I know nothing at all that would be fantastic. If you could provide a link so I can see what the accessory is I'd be very appreciative. Anything from picks, Gaitors, Maps, Harnesses, Coils, Speakers, batteries etc etc. Absolutely anything guys.

I know this is asking for a bit so Thank You in advance!!

I'm hoping that I can start off on the right foot and not make any silly mistakes before I even start.

Cheers Guys

Hi Goldpick,

That's an awesome tip and exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. Thank You very much. Keep them coming guys!

I have ditched the harness and use a camelback style back back with a water bladder. Throw in some compression bandages etc. for just incase. Some cable ties and velcro. A good control box cover, good boots ideally with no metal. I have a couple of small sandwich bags to put my gold in for when I have forgotten to bring my lucky gold bottle ;) a cheap plastic scoop from Bunnings (I personally don't use very often) and a waterproof bag that slips over the end of the control box when it rains. And don't forget the sun cream and aeroguard.

I was thinking of buying a gpx4000 for around $2500 I know nothing about them are they any good and is there anything I can check before purchase any advise would be greatly appreciated ?

How come there isn't many 4000 out there but lots of 4500 are the gpx4000 any good I'm about to buy one but don't know love some advise

Thanks grubstake I had a look and took note of the different lights for battery condition
What I was wondering is it a good machine I intend using it fnq I see a lot about the 4500 but there a little out of my price this one has 4 coils and in good condition $2500

The 4000s are still a capable machine, but most stretch a few extra hundred dollars and go for a 4500. The market is flooded with 4500's at the moment so there's bargains to be had.

PhaseTech said:
The 4000s are still a capable machine, but most stretch a few extra hundred dollars and go for a 4500. The market is flooded with 4500's at the moment so there's bargains to be had.
Thanks a lot all I need is for someone to reassure me and you have thanks again peter

How is everyone. Being new to this sport can I get some insite into the pros and cons of the two different coils please. I'm running a gpx 4000 with a mono. Went for a play in an area with lots of Quartz, red soil and I think a hint of salt( area was just off tidal flats). Any way at home I did the practice with the sinkers and the machine was running nice, but when I ran it on the above mentioned ground I couldn't get a consistent tone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

What timing were you using - sens smooth? Here's a link to timings & charts for GPX series:
http://www.detectorprospector.com/g...-gpx-4000-4500-5000-manuals-timing-charts.htm
How was your ground balance i.e. were you still getting noise after performing the ground balance process when moving the coil?
Was there any EMI i.e. spurious noises without moving the coil?

Here's a link to a post on DD/mono coils I did earlier:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=168336#p168336

Latest posts