Member location info

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
May be a silly suggestion and obviously some people are a tad touchy about "privacy" and such but have noticed quite a few posts requesting info/help from members and others willing to help/assist without really looking at the original posting members location ..... Great to offer help but not much use if the people you're trying to help are interstate (relates to meeting up and offering to show them the ropes).
Would be better if members had the courtesy of at least noting their general location or at very least their state.
I personally don't have an issue in letting people know my general location or using my real name in posts.
Cheers Tom

I agree, you can add location info to your profile. I also plan on adding a search by location option in member search sometime soon.

It's probably best to continue giving people the option to add location info rather than forcing it. I know some people can be a little funny about listing such info.

I agree Nugget, not to many people out there willing to admit they live in Wudderford or Necknock..... :lol:
Oops, that must be the old Kurri Kurri boy coming out in me..... :D Oh bugga, did I just admit to living in Kurri Kurri.... :rolleyes:

willo1 said:
I agree Nugget, not to many people out there willing to admit they live in Wudderford or Necknock..... :lol:
Oops, that must be the old Kurri Kurri boy coming out in me..... :D Oh bugga, did I just admit to living in Kurri Kurri.... :rolleyes:
Just got home from Kurri---bloody hot up there today,

well they could put vic, or nsw or melb or geelong, for an example, there bloody big places..............its not like anyone is gunna find them !

I can't see why anyone would have a problem, saying which state & suburb they live in, what have they got to hide??
Also don't see the point of supplying false locations!!
Maybe I've got it all wrong & someone can set me straight.

Well it may have something to do with their employment, past or present, that is the reason they have a silent phone and use hotmail email addys, and do not have facebook or anything like that, and use an alias and NEVER post a pic of their face.
Also tend to generalize a lot etc etc.
Leave it to the individual I say.

Redfin said:
Well it may have something to do with their employment, past or present, that is the reason they have a silent phone and use hotmail email addys, and do not have facebook or anything like that, and use an alias and NEVER post a pic of their face.
Also tend to generalize a lot etc etc.
Leave it to the individual I say.

When all is said & done Of course it's an individuals choice, can't be any other way.

I think I put the state on there when I signed up. The only reason I could see that people would not like to put their exact location would be because of the lurkers.
I for example if I was from Burra and posted on the forum the wife and I was heading off to some place for a dirty weekend (prospecting in mud) then it may not take to much for a lurker to work out Joe Dirt is heading interstate for a couple of days. mmm perhaps in a small town like Burra it would not take to much for a deviant low life to work out where you lived and the house is empty for the weekend.

just saying, or maybe I'm paranoid. 8)

Cliff

Coyote said:
I think I put the state on there when I signed up. The only reason I could see that people would not like to put their exact location would be because of the lurkers.
I for example if I was from Burra and posted on the forum the wife and I was heading off to some place for a dirty weekend (prospecting in mud) then it may not take to much for a lurker to work out Joe Dirt is heading interstate for a couple of days. mmm perhaps in a small town like Burra it would not take to much for a deviant low life to work out where you lived and the house is empty for the weekend.

just saying, or maybe I'm paranoid. 8)

Cliff

Good point Coyote, especially in light of that poor guy in Brisbane recently that lost everything.

Originally post was to help facilitate meeting up with members from the same region, no good thinking that hey Fred Nurk has the same interests as me, perhaps we can arrange a get together somewhere within reasonable proximity to both of us if he happens to live in a totally different region or state.
Value my privacy as much as the next bloke and would only initially make contact via PM, then if all seems good by all means exchange other contact details between yourselves.
Would never want to see my email or phone details on the general forum pages but would probably pass then on privately depending on how I perceive the member.
The forum is pretty liberal in allowing "guests" to view the heaps of great info, several other interest forums restrict such access and only allow full access after a much greater number of 'posts' (eg photos, some forum topics, PMs and such), have no problem with how it is.
Boring subject, can probably close this topic.
Cheers Tom

Lots of members refer in their posts to what had happened at their location, but they don't display their location in their avatar . I'm very security conscious but I'm pretty sure that stating approximately where you live will not compromise your Internet security. But it will help members to understand better what are you talking about in your posts.
Karl

Even the simple entry of what state a person is in would be a great asset to readers, I've already found it such an annoyance at times I was considering running a topic for people to add their name to the list if they are in Sth Aust. ( not saying that it is only members in SA that leave out details).

Pete

I'm in Sydney and have this in my avitar but how is this going to help anyone identify where I'm prospecting.
That's why I always put in the story generally where I am working.

Latest posts