Long lost tailings dump found.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tathradj

Doug
Reaction score
Found a beauty.
100 tons of ore at grass level and has not been processed. Mining records of 1890's stated around 5 ounces to the ton.
And that is only 1 mine. There are 5 in the area with the same scenario. The old timers found it too expensive to cart away to process so walked away and left it.
The area is on private property and the land owner does not give a cuss on what is done with it.
He himself is quite well off so is not interested in what can be won but only asks that it is kept quite about and we stop and have a yarn.
My question.
What type of crusher would you use to process quartz and decomposed granite.
Flail, Hammer or jaw.
I am thinking flail as the ore would be easier to process to extraction point if it is like powder.
Would only want to process a few yards a day.

For you DWT, I will post some pics in a new thread.
I will be starting the preliminary's in another week or two so will keep you all up todate. :) :)
I will get some samples first and post a few pic's when I go back down in a couple of weeks to suss it out properly.
A Tathradj winter project. LOL

Tathradj said:
For you DWT, I will post some pics in a new thread.
I will be starting the preliminary's in another week or two so will keep you all up todate. :) :)
I will get some samples first and post a few pic's when I go back down in a couple of weeks to suss it out properly.
A Tathradj winter project. LOL
Ahhhh, good man, been stuck in the shed with no Au fixes to keep me balanced 8.(

If the ore could not be processed why did they dig so much?? If the ore is worthwhile there may still be more gold bearing ore left in the ground as well.. good luck is with you as the rest of us only get to dream of finding something like that to play with.... I will be following this thread with great interest.. :)

Jaw feeding a flail (or ball mill) feeding a wash plant.

Kawman, plenty of reasons to walk away from good ore - one is that it was costing more than 5oz/ton for processing. Could have been stockpiling waiting for an event that never happened and the company went bust. Could have been amateurs that just cherry picked the most obvious gold ore and stockpiled the rest.

At a certain gold field here in the GT miners stockpiled dirt for processing, the Goverment (at time) promised to send water to them so they could process, they never did (surprise surprise the goverment reneging on a deal), they started carting it to a creek by cart.
It's easier to dig fresh ground on the 'word that big gold was found shallow', so they would simply pack up and leave, documented fact :)

SDC processing works for Mr Retirementstone, if there is ribbon gold in the ore it will be found with the SDC.

Sell the ore gold as a premium specimen on eBay..... Happy days :D

There may be more second class ore left behind underground because in the old days they took what they wanted and back filled the stopes as they went because it was easyer than carting all the diggings out of the mine.. I wish I had your problem.. A dream come true.. :)

You are a lucky man dug. Getting all that experience in one place. You can set up your own l'il camp, shed for tools etc. and practice all of the things necessary to find your gold. I forgot to ask if it had water close by?. :p

Thanks for the comments people's. :)
I suppose that a mobile Pub and Hot Dog stand would go down well to stave off those thirst and hunger pang's. :lol:
There is water about 2 kilometers away. This is one of the hardships that the old miners had.
The ore is brecciated quartz with a medium content of sulphides and arsenopyrite so going to have a bit of fun with that.
I can hardly wait the two weeks to bring back a bucket full of samples. :cool:

There is a way to do any thing. Keep trying you will find the solution. What a problem to solve. Nice work mate I will keep dreaming for my own gold mine :)

richo966 said:
There is a way to do any thing. Keep trying you will find the solution. What a problem to solve. Nice work mate I will keep dreaming for my own gold mine :)
Nothing is ever impossible. :)
It just takes a bit of perseverance and time. ;)
Plus a lot of research. :D

Latest posts