Long lost tailings dump found.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tathradj said:
Thanks for the comments people's. :)
I suppose that a mobile Pub and Hot Dog stand would go down well to stave off those thirst and hunger pang's. :lol:
There is water about 2 kilometers away. This is one of the hardships that the old miners had.
The ore is brecciated quartz with a medium content of sulphides and arsenopyrite so going to have a bit of fun with that.
I can hardly wait the two weeks to bring back a bucket full of samples. :cool:

Hey Mate
Interesting problem you have there, I too am interested in how you went.

The statement above should give most an Idea why there is still "Ore at Grass" ? sulphides!! bloody hard to work back in the day!!

Is there any free milling Gold in the Ore???
cheers
Lee

Tathra,
Sounds like you're going to have a blast with that. With brecciated quartz (if it has crushable gold) you man not be far from the source. Not sure of the arsenopyrite tho. I'll have to look that one up. Just don't breathe/injest it or we'll be a PA member down.

Tath, I wouldn't post even one photo until you are all done with the entire area/district as even an unobtrusive rock can tell tales and jog memories,.... keep it to yourself and revell in it to your hearts content for as long as it takes to be done with it, if ever. ;)

Just about to hit the Gunny sack. :)
I have not been back as yet because of that unrelenting thing called work. :(
Owing to a new major customer coming on board, Things have been flat stick for the past 6 months.
Boy am I looking forwards to next weekend with my mates at Oallen. LOL
Area where this is has remained undisturbed for the time being and I have been hunting up a bit of gear.
Yes, The mines where this came from are still there and open.
The reason they walked away it was too far to travel to treat the ore.
They did have a small 2 head stamper set up with a donkey engine but it was a very slow process to crush.
Then they had to cart it to water and finally along to another mine site about 10 mile away around a small
mountain chain that had the gear to handle it.
That is why it got left.
Fear not my friends, It will happen, Just not as quick as I want.
Watch this place. :D :D

Tathradj you should enter that in the Find of the month comp! What a find too!
Goodluck with the sample crushing, sounds like the quartz may give you some grief but from experience decomposed granite isnt all that bad, ive come across samples so soft you can soak them for a day and crush them in your fist. Generally though if you can work out which way the granite has cleaved its easier to break up.
Fresh granite is the toughest so hopefully a hunded of weathering will have softened it up a bit.

Best of luck,
TGW.

Is there much Mica in the granite part of the ore IE as in Pegmatite as mica is a real PITA for blocking up screens on traditional stamp mill or anything that uses a screen to size & classify the fines.

Think this picture could explain the combinations.

1457758888_dw1aa.jpg

Courtesy - http://goldnuggetsales.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2601

All the best when you finally get into it mate. I look forward to seeing some specimen photos! What a find!:)

I will,
One day shortly. :) :)
I know, The suspense is killing me as well but work and
family are in the road a bit for the mean time.
I have just started a new employee so when I have him trained up enough,
The fun will begin. LOL

Latest posts