Is It Worth Digging Out Old Alluvial Holes?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done it a few times, once in ballarat once in Enfield. Ballarat the ground got wet real quick and i abandoned the idea after coming back to find a 10 foot hole full of water.

The hole in enfield was awesome, dug from inside a crab hole into the wall of another chasing the wash, made a little highbanker to work the ground and made a plan to cart water out into a little blow up pool, worked it for three trips got about half an ounce all up which was nice then i had to move to qld.

i'll see if i can dig up some photos

this was my failed shaft, cant see how deep that is but it was all clay and abandoned and filled the next day.
1571954838_20140313_202908.jpg

1571954838_20140313_202923.jpg

this is a different one not far from little bendigo. got down to the wash but was poor diggings. ran it through a drywasher once and then a puddler for little rerward. i closed this one up and sadly came back a year later the whole ridge had been excavated and the old diggings destroyed.

1571955330_20140528_141555.jpg

1571955330_20140528_143733.jpg

1571955330_20140529_162847.jpg

1571955330_20140529_162904.jpg

1571955330_20140614_124528.jpg

well i couldn't find the enfield photos but did find this one, the most successful. averaged 1.76 grams per hour at this spot but sadly since i opened a track through the weed when i went back to this spot it looks like the face of the moon now, sdc have picked the place apart and pushed most of this good fine gold bearing ground into the gully below. that was an awesome spot, the wash was very distinctive.

thats my mate MJB there another PA fellow
1571956253_20150626_141353.jpg

1571956253_20150627_082959.jpg

Couple of years ago in Talbot I cleaned out a few 6ft holes of tree branches etc etc and heard good signals with the 7000, close to the bottom at an angle, meaning to me at the time, if the hole had been extended they would have found more gold. In one instance I found a 12gm'er in others the ground had actually been worked/filled in and I found bolts, bits of brass and tin with some holes that I dug 3ft wide at the top, and up to 3ft deep ( side ways). Then after the find? its back with the dirt/leaves and tree branches.

I think 3 such holes in the morning and 2 in the afternoon is my limit.( and not on a daily basis)

Peter

Gday

Its always worth a scratch around old diggings and over the years I have found some nice gold doing just that, one time I found 3 1/2 ozs of specimens around an old mine shaft in about 15 mins of getting there, but as already mentioned you must take care around them as shaft entrances can be hidden by overburden, holes with false bottoms and so on, any hole with a mounds of dirt or rocks around it can indicate a shaft so best keep to the outside as a few nuggets are not worth your life if the thing caves in.

Many of these holes are a hundred years old or more so if you have a look at many shafts you can see that the the top of the shaft can be undercut by water and erosion and getting too close to the edge can make it cave in, also its easy to slip on the loose rubble and then take the express elevator to the bottom of the shaft, could be a death sentence if you are on your own and reach the bottom with broken legs and other injuries, also many people over the years have thrown trash down the old open shafts, and also snakes and other animals end up down there as well, so even if you are not hurt there are other things that might injure or kill you.

I walked right up to an open shaft some years back, the area had been scraped and the hole was open right on the surface, so I could have easily walked right into it if it was dark or I was not paying attention to where I was going, I mounded branches and things around it to warn others of it being there, someone had obviously scraped the overburden away from around it probably to process it but not bothered to push anything down into it, I have also found sheets of tin covering shaft entrances as well, but these will also rust away and be easily broken through if you walk on to them.

Keep to the outside of any hole or mound, mine shafts are better stayed away from unless you are experienced or geared up to enter them and know what you are doing, and also have someone else there to help you out should there be any problems.

cheers

stayyerAU

Gday

Also I forgot to mention that one of the really big nuggets was found at the bottom of a shallow open pit, it seems that someone had just walked away from it or could have possibly left in a hurry on the next rush to a new gold spot as was the sort of thing that happened in the day, but the kicker is that the nugget had a gouge in it from a pick so the digger of the hole had struck it but didn't see it, wonder if he heard about it later on :awful: 8.(

cheers

stayyerAU

Latest posts