Is It Worth Digging Out Old Alluvial Holes?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I WAS WANDERING IF ANYONE HAS DUG OUT OLD ALLUVIAL DIGGING HOLES WHERE THE OLD TIMERS HAVE STOPPED .
There are areas around SA that have shallow alluvial digging holes . Would it be worth digging a hole next to one of these holes or even clean out one and extend the walls with the intention of using a detector to check for gold

The idea seems legit, however id check up on what they were after, and what they got, how many have been before you. Detect thoroughly and sample well if you decide to go alluvial chasing. After all if there's little chance of finding anything there may be a better location or opportunities. Handling a shovel and pick can get mighty frustrating without getting anything substantial. Sometimes thinking about the approach can save alot of unfruitful effort, but i guess there's only one real way to find out! My caveat here is you used the word shallow, a picture is worth a thousand words but in my experience shallow tends to translate into loaming holes or shallow deposits at best, not the best case scenario logically speaking.

If there were several diggings one would think that gold was being found. However to leave the diggings means no more gold was being found at a rate sustainable to stay. So my answer to this question would be ....if the old timers moved on, and were digging big ass holes that would take me weeks to dig.....maybe they weren't finding anything for a long time before they gave up. A metal detector will certainly check up to a couple of feet more than they could....and the holy grail may only be 2 inches further! Its a tough decision.

The experience gained from digging a few holes will open your eyes to what prospecting is about.I've cleaned out a lot of old diggings just to check what bottom they were working on. Most people now days are too lazy to dig a hole,all the reasons why they shouldn't dig a hole clouds their thought's and stops them from getting the rewards.Digging holes is as much about having a strong mind as it is having a strong back.

Twapster said:
If there were several diggings one would think that gold was being found. However to leave the diggings means no more gold was being found at a rate sustainable to stay.

Not Allways the case some diggings were abandoned for quite a few reasons, original occupiers may have been murdered, became sick with any number of ailments, decideded that the "new" gold rush at so and so was supposedly richer in gold and simply took off to the next gold rush. loads of diggings were abandend for many different reasons.

I agree, good to see what they were looking for. I actually got pleasure from digging my last big hole at Nundle. I would have kept digging to China but had to resign that a few specs from such a big hole may not be fruitful for me. It is sure interesting seeing different layers as you go down.

trenchfighter said:
Twapster said:
If there were several diggings one would think that gold was being found. However to leave the diggings means no more gold was being found at a rate sustainable to stay.

Not Allways the case some diggings were abandoned for quite a few reasons, original occupiers may have been murdered, became sick with any number of ailments, decideded that the "new" gold rush at so and so was supposedly richer in gold and simply took off to the next gold rush. loads of diggings were abandend for many different reasons.

Where can I find one of those spots? That would be nice!

Those spots are around most of the diggings. I find them often. I've also left good spots behind just as the old timers would have. lots of reasons to abandon a digging,most of the time it's water...

Hare_Twigga said:
The experience gained from digging a few holes will open your eyes to what prospecting is about.I've cleaned out a lot of old diggings just to check what bottom they were working on. Most people now days are too lazy to dig a hole,all the reasons why they shouldn't dig a hole clouds their thought's and stops them from getting the rewards.Digging holes is as much about having a strong mind as it is having a strong back.

All true! My first experience with detecting (early 1970's) was as a pick'n'shovel man for a mate with one of the first Garrett detectors. He would look at a line of diggings (holes and mullock heaps) snaking along a bush gully and say that under every heap is virgin ground. The idea was that we would put the mullock back in the hole (he detecting as the heap got lower) and keep digging and detecting the new uncovered ground. But to be truthful it was bloody hard hot work and we settled for just levelling mullock heaps and moving onto the next - a good idea that didn't last more than 1 day :D

casper

There are a lot of shallow alluvial diggings in SA, mostly along creeks and rivers like the Onkaparinga, before being traced to its original source. From here, shafts were sunk into the newly discovered reefs and down to the deeper ancient river channels, sometimes quite a few metres below ground level, so no point in chasing them.

The gold in the Echunga goldfields, according to records, occurred in the a thin veneer of tertiary gravels and finer gold in the clays covering the hillsides and particularly rich in the gullies. Problem is a majority of this ground is on private property, as are most workings these days around the Adelaide Hills.

The gold was originally found on the alluvial flats of the Onkaparinga, and traced up the hill sides to the reefs and deep leads. Most of these later and deeper workings now exist in the fossicking reserves (and Chapel Hill & Jupiter Creek), and hence have been worked to the nth degree, and probably not really worth the effort digging holes there.

Many of the shafts that exist here intersect the old river channels, with the gold occurring in the gravels and clays(weathered bedrock) at the base of fresh bedrock, hence why some guys detect the white pipe clay that exists around the shaft openings. These shafts are very deep, and not worth entering unless you want to break your neck.

You will probably find they were pretty thorough working the shallow alluvial stuff, with many of the old alluvial workings now being hard to recognise aside from the odd spoil pile over the local farmland, sometimes you can spot them as you drive through the area. Although, there is mention that the alluvials in the area had been reworked on more than one occasion, so there may not be much left for the modern prospector. Another section mentions the fact that a lot of the miners were inexperienced or expected a lot richer grounds, and as a result, damned the ground as being barren, leaving fine gold and even nuggets on their claims, mullock heaps and tailings dumps. Hence why there have been successful reworkings of the alluvials on more than one occasion since the original miners took to the fields.

Even though you see a few shallow holes around with spoil piles next to them, you can pretty much guarantee that every bit of the surrounding has also been turned over and processed on more than one occasion, and not necessarily obvious today. You would probably better off panning off any excavated material, as if anything was left behind, it was probably fine gold. If you are going to scan over any material from these workings with a detector, best off with a high frequency detector to locate any small pickers (Whites GMT & Fisher GB2 come to mind).

Hope that info helps a bit. :)

casper said:
Hare_Twigga said:

All true! My first experience with detecting (early 1970's) was as a pick'n'shovel man for a mate with one of the first Garrett detectors. He would look at a line of diggings (holes and mullock heaps) snaking along a bush gully and say that under every heap is virgin ground. The idea was that we would put the mullock back in the hole (he detecting as the heap got lower) and keep digging and detecting the new uncovered ground. But to be truthful it was bloody hard hot work and we settled for just levelling mullock heaps and moving onto the next - a good idea that didn't last more than 1 day :D

casper

Postscript: ................ and i do not recall us finding any " detectable" gold.

casper

dig em out i reckon, bare in mind that most holes were dug down and have a bell shape at the bottom which goes to the edge of the claim so digging between holes doesn't really make sense unless you know what size the claims were. Personally I've dug around 6 pits most ive given up on at 6-10 feet because I can only dig so much in a day :) often you'll hit clay and dig through feet after feet of it.

Test the soil around the pits as its the last lot to come out before they hit the wash or reef depending on what they were chasing.
Like has been said already its about having a go and you appreciate the hardships they ,must ahve faces back in the day.

I'd give it a crack if you have access to old diggings seeing as it's difficult enough to gain access to gold bearing ground in SA. I'd also do more research as to where gold was actually found. Diggings are all over the place but few were productive and many produced very fine gold which you won't be picking up with a detector. That's not to say there weren't productive workings which simply have not been recorded. It's amazing as to how many deep shafts and batteries were set up in search of gold with little to no success. Check out the record of SA mines below as it will give you some insight as to where coarse gold has been found and also draw a picture of why certain mines were abandoned.

http://www.archive.org/stream/arecordminessou00browgoog/arecordminessou00browgoog_djvu.txt

If the diggings are only shallow, think how deep they went down.
Look at what has gone back into the hole.
Hell, maybe even dig one out?
You may see a wash layer or bottom, be it clay or bedrock.
Find a coil that will penetrate that deep in that ground and start detecting in between!
Check in between the diggings, gullies, creeks, reef or the diggings (Depending on what's there).
Also look at the mullock piles and see what they were throwing out.
:)
Good luck out there.

I tryed that once. LOL
Had this wonderfull idea one day. Jumped into a "Shallow" digging and started detecting.
For some strange reason the detector a Minelab gt1600 would not balance properly.
Drove the pick into the bottom of the hole straight into rotten timber.
Had a false bottom in it.
Found out later that some of the shafts that were sunk in that area were very deep.
Never do that again.
Pucker factor went to zero in one hell of a hurry.

Always take care around the old digging if your unsure of the depths they were sinking,the size of the piles beside the holes is sometimes (but not always) an indication of the depth of the hole, you learn to judge this over time. The gold is there,you just have to dig it up! Remember "Luck Favors the Brave!"
1398168461_img_0282.jpg

1398168486_img_0261.jpg

1398168514_img_0260.jpg

1398168531_img_0243.jpg

1398168544_img_0188.jpg

Sometimes luck plays a role, but the point being there is still gold the old timers missed... To many people walk around believing it's all gone when it's not.Remember though that hole's deeper than waste deep can be deadly. If you don't understand soil types and how stable they are give it a miss.

Latest posts