How many grams in a Ounce?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How many grams in a Ounce?

28.3 or 31.1

Also...what's the difference between a Once and a Troy Once?

28.3g in a ounce

A troy ounce is more than 9.7 percent heavier than a standard or avoirdupois ounce: There are 31.103 g per troy ounce, versus 28.349 g in a standard ounce. A troy pound weighs less than a standard pound, however, because there are only 12 ounces in a troy pound, compared to 16 ounces in a standard or international pound. A troy ounce is used when weighing precious metals such as gold, platinum and silver; gemstones; and some other products. For all other weight measurements, the standard ounce is used.

So everyone agrees that...

Gold is weighed in "troy ounces" @ 31.1g .... not "ounces" at 28.3g ??

Thanks for everyone's help.

At first I thought it was a silly question but, it had some meat after all.

So can someone tell me why it isn't measured the same as any other item...After all you would think an oz is an oz...

I will bet that with some dealers the correct weight will depend on whether they are buying or selling.. :)

Sparra said:
So can someone tell me why it isn't measured the same as any other item...After all you would think an oz is an oz...

It is a throw back to ancient times and used as a universal measurement, as you know not everywhere in the world uses the metric system or the imperial system etc... This way it is still a "standard" and can be used across all parts of the world when talking precious metals.

A bit like Wheat which is still sold in bushels, and I am sure a few others items have strange trading weights.

Danmuss said:
there are only 12 ounces in a troy pound, compared to 16 ounces in a standard or international pound.

OMG, where is the logic in that!!
Long life to the metric system!

Interesting topic anyway, I didn't new the difference between those two "oz".

Whole Europe is using metric, South America as well. Australia and most of the Asia using metric system. That leaves only Yanks and few countries in Africa with this antique measuring system. I'm not sure about Canada. Why to make it easy if it can be complicated :( .
Karl

Latest posts