SDC2300 Salt Modes - How do they Work ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XLOOX

Moderating Team
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know:
1) How the SDC 2300 salt modes actually work ( electronically)
2) What variable is changing when you switch between salt modes 1, 2 &3
3) What using salt mode means in practice beyond "suitable for salt saturated mineralised soil conditions" ?
4) If I use it in low or high mineralised non salty ground will I lose depth ?

1) & 2):
Performance in Salty Conditions The SDC 2300 incorporates a Salt Mode for which the transmit and receive timing signals have been optimised for saline conditions found in some gold field areas.
I'm only talking from my experience/opinion here XLOOX but I believe the SDC salt modes have slightly longer tx & rx signals than the normal MPF timing settings. This would be to help nullify the surface salt signal.
I'd be interested to hear more from someone like Nenad who may be able to confirm/deny this &/or expand further.
Either way the MPF timings are altered electronically to optimise use in salt conditions.
3) & 4):
Possibly could dull some true metallic surface signals also.
I've got a thread & posts on here about using the SDC in salt modes 1 & 2 in a heavy basalt area. It definitely, in my experience, helped to quiet the otherwise problematic rocks down.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/minelab-pis-on-basalt.14679/Nenad from that thread:
Salt mode loses a fair bit of sensitivity to surface targets.
So I guess using it in low mineralisation, where it's not required, you'd be losing sensitivity to surface targets for no reason.
In high mineralisation you may get the benefit of nullifying the surface minerals at the cost of the sensitivity loss.
IMO the SDC handles high mineralisation well so I'd only ever use salt modes in these areas as a last resort.

Thanks Matt, Spot on with the type of info I was looking for, hoping Nenad can verify or otherwise.

Yeah I was only thinking about using salt mode on a last resort basis but it is better to know beforehand what the likely impact is - it is one thing to get a more silent machine and still be able to see your test piece on the surface and quite another to see it at depth.

Sure, best way is to dig some test pits in really hot ground, try & see but I always like to have a clue what I am doing beforehand.

A useful bit of knowledge is the salt signal is very much reduced when the ground dries out so checking the spot again when drier, may yield mor targets.

Latest posts