hello all, newbee from Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylar

Joe
Reaction score
Hi all
The yellow metal has taken a hold on me but i am some 4000km from home atm and hope to get my research in before i get home an hope to get into the fields of Victoria for some prospecting. I live some 3-2hrs from the "golden triangle" in Victoria and have always had an interest in prospecting. I do a bit of hunting so im thinking my remington model 12 .22 (its a antique these days as well being almost 100 yrs old) over one shoulder and metal detector in the hand ;) I have an old whites coinmaster that im sure is a relic in its own right these days but have about 1500 to spend on a new far more modern detector for gold. Of the research i have done a whites GMT is in my price range and seems to be a good unit along with a pick, pin pointer, basic pan and some maps should get me started. If anyone has some advice id love to get some feedback.
sylar out

Welcome to the forum Sylar. Remington model 12 are a nice light .22, hang on to that one. I have the browning .22 pump action and i wouldn't sell or trade that ever. No plastic components in these. I use to sling the rifle over my back while detecting on properties, but that much metal close to a Minelab PI detector, I am sure it was causing it problems? Before you go and spend your dollars on a new detector, don't rush in and ask a few questions first. :)

thanks guys, ferrals, relics or gold, i hope to be hunting something LOL. I know what you mean about the old shooters i got it to restore but when ever i look at it i think of all the history this old gun must have and think a tidy up might be in order, I did look for the browing version but just couldn't find one and got the Remington at a price i just couldn't pass up.

As for the detector i look at the ones that fall into my budget and for the last few day the one that just keeps standing out is the whites GMT, i have until the end of November when the first plane comes in to make up my mind and see whats on the market and best suits my needs, at the moment i am at the Casey research station in Antarctica.