Garrett ATX vs Minelab GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi , everyone.i m a french guy , i came in australia one and a half year ago .I have begun to think about prospecting seriously 6 month ago and since i m taking some informations like reading books what material i should use and all stuffs i can find on the web. i plan to begin this adventure in october november. Quickly i thought that i should use a mine lab detector , the 4500 gpx .and then i have seen the 5000what i have understood is that for high mineralized soil the dd technology is the best but also that you need a bigger coil for deep target and smaller one for the surface ones . is that correct? anyway that topic is really good for me , i heard as well about the ATX and actually the price was very attractive but i was still focus on the mine lab product and then i saw those videos on you tube which compares both of it.To be honest i m not even a beginner but after watching it i was lost.So thanks for your point of view.

Dear Thisma,
Nice to see you starting your prospecting. I, like you put in a huge amount of research prior to getting started and found my self trying the cheaper models at first which where all good brand names but eventually I came full circle and ended up with the Minelab products.

Stay with the proven name brand who's leading technology is well proven.

Decide if you going to beach and relic Gold nuggets and then get the best Minelab product you can afford.

Regards

Zakman

thanks zackman.i know already that i want to do it as a full time job , i mean if i have to do it want to do it seriously, even if it s only for few months.it s all about a dream which become true ,but i can t know by advance how long i ll keep going dreaming. As i said i was focus on the mine lab product , but like everyone when i have seen these video on the garret atx vs the gps 5000 i thought if i can save 3000 box , it could be nice. So right now i guess gpx is still the best .Anyway i won t begin before november , i have enough time to do another choice if something change about it . i m reading as well gold and ghost .i fell like if it was a bible each time i open these books. i really look forward my first prospecting day, but patience is a very good skill for a nuggets hunter if i understand well so i keep going on that way and i ll see.

regards

thisma

hello people... i don't own my first detector yet, and i want to enter the field at about the xterra70 level, then i saw there are a few new detectors that [according to the adverts ] are better. where i am based is in Central QLD [ note, capital letters ] several small gold fields mt morgan, cawarral, calliope, norton, cracow and plenty of historical small shows within 300 kliks, a lot of mineralization in places,mostly small to show-off nuggets, fair bit of looking around old settlements etc...... so i was very pleased to find this forum, and in particular, this topic...... my request is any opinions, practical comparisons, how can i get the most/best detector for say $2000/$2500............ happy-hunting, but leave some for me......... flash

Good thread, gimme the 5k any day over any other beeper on the gold.
I also use mine with a 10x5DD and the settings almost turned off to coin hunt
with the disc on 6, any higher and ya lose the $1 & $2 coins.

P&R

mbasko said:
No worries - interesting read.

I knew it can't match the gpx, but for the price at "1/2 price" it is a good machine. I also find it heavy without the sling.

joe said:
mbasko said:

I knew it can't match the gpx, but for the price at "1/2 price" it is a good machine. I also find it heavy without the sling.

Yeah - what I got out of it is that with a few tweaks, & a better set up as far as housing etc., Garrett are on the right track.
Would still like one of them or the new Minelab 2300 as a back up. :)

mbasko said:
joe said:
mbasko said:

Yeah - what I got out of it is that with a few tweaks, & a better set up as far as housing etc., Garrett are on the right track.
Would still like one of them or the new Minelab 2300 as a back up. :)
Have seen some guys, using atx hip mounted and light stick with infinium coil dd 10x5 some good results, that is why they asked garrett for land version

hi all.
please be kind. i have just joined the forum and very new to detecting.
now the questions. I have a chance to buy a gpx5000 for $4700. its hardly been used and comes with

- Koss Headphones

- Minelab Battery

- Double D Commander Coil

- Mono Commander Coil

- Elliptical Mono Coil

- Shingleback Battery Carry Case

- Shingleback Body Cover

- Wall Charger

- Car Charger

- Speaker

on the other hand can get a garrett atx deep sea for bout $4000.
is the gpx to far superior for a newby and the atx be more suited.
im purely hunting for gold as im in the gold fields in wa.
the info on the forum is mind blowing and a lot to take in when new to it all.
I guess for around same price as per both which would be more lasting rewarding detector until my level of experience is gained.
thanks in advanced

thanks guys.
I was guessing that the gpx was a good buy.will check on label when have another look at it making sure its a true and not a copy.
the coils are everything I would need if buy the gpx or you would recommend another type for starting off with.

Atually get the serial numbers from the control unit and coils and check with Minelab. Some fakes are almost impossible to tell.

Considering the ATX sells for well under $3000 in the US, it makes the GPX at that price seem much more reasonable for what you get, plus it is proven many times over in the Australian Goldfield, more so than the ATX. As mentioned, it is imperative that you are entirely satisfied that it is not a Chinese knock off, otherwise it could be a very sour and expensive affair. Visit the Minelab website to see what steps you can take to ensure what you are buying is the real deal, any hesitation on providing details from the seller is a good reason to run a mile.

hi guys I've been looking for a Garrett ATX for a will and cant find a cheap one anywhere so can you guys please lend me a hand and help me find a Garrett ATX

Palmer :p

To Palmer
Check out ebay.There is one for 2200$ from US.Ships to Australia.
Regards

Don't forget exchange rates, gst on the total amount including shipping, and customs duty. If going through a freight company, there will more than likely to be another small charge. All up, you may still be looking at close to $3000 to get one in. For roughly an extra $500 you get an Australian one with local warranty and Australian spec chargers.

If the ATX is from a US dealer, they won't ship it here, even if they state international postage. You will have fo use a third party to pay, package, and freight it to you.

Latest posts