Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what am I, and I am a copy.

Type Ship-rigged Bark
Flag
Australia
Owner
Australian Government
Management Australian National Maritime Museum
Homeport Sydney, Australia
Keel laid
October 1988
Launched 9 December 1993
Commissioned 16 April 1994
Dockyard Mews Road, Fremantle, Western Australia
Displacement
550 tonnes
Gross tonnage
Hull construction
Jarrah below the waterline, oregon above
Length extreme End bowsprit to end stern 143'5" (43.7 m)
Length overall
109'3" (33.3 m)
Length waterline
101'5" (30.92 m)
Beam 29'2" (8.89 m)
Depth in hold 11'4" (3.45 m)
Draught 11'10" (3.6 m)
Sails 27 - 9 square, 8 fore and aft, 10 studding sails
Height of mizzenmast 78'9" (24 m)
Height of mainmast 127'11" (39 m)
Height of foremast 109'10" (33.5 m)
Machinery Two 405-hp, 6-cylinder Caterpillar diesels with 4.5: 1 reduction gear boxes driving 3-bladed, 4 ft diameter controllable-pitch, fully-feathering propellers. Two diesel generators, one for day running and one for overload and night operations. Fuel capacity of 24,600 litres.
Speed Average under engine 5 knots under sail 2.5 knots.
Sea crew - professional
Voyaging crew - amateur

Beat me by a press of a key, TJ!

It really is an impressive thing to visit. What is really interesting is how small it is, even the captain's cabin is tiny. The ship in Master and Commander is a huge thing by comparison. Those old sailors really did it tough.

Thanks DrDuck. I knew it was one of the two.
OK.
I imigrated to Australia from Germany with a very long and arduose adventure.
While I was a prisoner of war I invented a machine that made me very wealthy.
It took me arond 7 years to get here but before I died I stated that Australia was a worthy goal.
Who was I and what did I do.??

An interesting question, presumably including those minted in Sydney and Melbourne and sent to England, Canada, India and Ceylon. I don't have a printed reference and the only table of mintages I have found after a quick look are only for the coins minted here to the English designs, so don't have figures from before 1871. Mintages after that were considerable, though.

Perth mint started minting them in 1899 and Queen Victoria died in 1901, so that can't be the significance of the 1900 date.

1900 would have been the last year currency was issued in Australia before the Federal constitution came into effect, empowering the Parliament to make laws in relation to 'Currency, coinage and legal tender' and 'Banking and the issue of paper money', but enabling legislation was not passed until 1910.

So basically, I have no idea!

my best guess is around 90 million sovereigns were made in oz prior to 1900 no idea what it caused other than exporting our gold and it also improved our economy.

okay ill give it to you four hundred and 3 million sovereigns were minted creating a crisis in change hence the use of traders tokens which were not legal but were tolerated
ill leave it open to whomever wants to ask the next question first in best dressed

DrDuck said:
Kalgoorlie Brothel Tokens?
For 181 or 169. My work truck used to get 'stolen ' by my flatmate and parked on the verge infront of 181, I was always having to explain to the boss it wasn't me, scimpys were enuf entertainment for me 8)

Scratching my head a bit about that one!

Anyway, how about Paydirt taking it on the basis of his personal recollections!

I'm pretty busy for the next few days, but will check in from time to time.

Latest posts