Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Danks.
John Danks (1828-1902), businessman, was born in January 1828 at Wednesbury, Staffordshire, England, son of John Danks, a wrought iron and gas tube manufacturer, and his wife Hannah, ne Hickman. At 8 he was apprenticed to his father but finished his training with another firm and then joined his brothers, Samuel and Thomas, in starting an iron and tube works in Wednesbury. In 1857 the brothers and their families arrived in the Shaftesbury at Melbourne. After several unsuccessful ventures the brothers became hardware manufacturers, dealing 'in nearly everything suitable for plumbers, engineers, gasfitters and water supply'; one of their first jobs was the manufacture of pipe connexions for the Yan Yean water supply.

In 1860 Thomas retired and the firm continued as J. & S. Danks until 1871 when Samuel retired. The next twenty years brought rapid expansion: branch shops were established in Sydney and in Christchurch, New Zealand; John's son, Aaron, became a partner and in 1885 started a brassfoundry in England; Danks won prizes at the Philadelphia, Sydney and Melbourne International Exhibitions. The number of his employees grew from 35 to 150 and his contemporaries attributed his success to his being 'just the man for the time', one 'whose business was continually enlarged by the demands of a growing city'. Danks believed more in his own ability and in the beneficial effects of the tariff which he had forcefully advocated when the question was vital to manufacturers. In September 1874 he had helped to form the Manufacturers' Association and next year called the meeting from which the Protection League developed; Danks became president of the Emerald Hill (South Melbourne) branch.

well done magilla your go just got in first
1414666288_danks.jpg

This should be easy.

What Australian feature was named by Matthew Flinders but is often credited to Edward John Eyre?

Slipped Disc has it. Flinders named it on 28th January 1802, well before Eyre was born. Eyre led a land survey later on.
Your turn Slipped Disc.

Cheers Magilla. there is a small Port, up the road from me, it has a very rugged coastline. Good specimens of jasper are said to exist. there was a ship anchored here in 1802. what is the name of this Port ?

Sorry, mixed it up with other areas and places I was looking at. :8 it is small bay , and is actually POINT......... close Dr. Duck.

Flinders anchored off Lucky Bay in 1802 but I can not find any reference to a Point.

Ha, I interpreted "close" in the geographical sense. Flinders did not name very many features during his voyage, so it probably was named well after then. Back to the research while taking a break from mowing.