2013 finds - Scoopa

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you clean coins that are found covered in mud etc ?
I notice yours are much cleaner than the few I've found.

1377425836_p8250005.jpg
1377425853_p8250003.jpg
1377425869_p8250004.jpg
1377425883_p8250002.jpg

Hi all. Went out for a two hour hunt today and was lucky enough to find my oldest pocket spill yet! Got a great signal and located an 1826 English Half Penny at about 20cm. I thought this was great and filled the hole in and then swung the detector over the hole as is my practice. Bang! another hit. I re-dug the hole and using the pro-pointer, located an 1827 English Penny below where the half had been. Their condition is great which is also surprising. The rest of the finds included a 1960 Florin. 1942 plain sixpence. Australian pennys dated 1911, 1922, 1927, 1931. 1948 half penny. 12 X 1 and 2 cents. A .925 silver hallmarked broach surround. Small school badge and small stainless steel ring. The area i was hunting has been worked heavily by local detectorists and it still produces the goods. To all the new people to our great hobby, "Nobody gets it all, there's always something to find." Happy hunting to all.

Scoopa I reckon thats one of the oldest coins spills I have ever seen - fantastic work mate and great finds! Love it! Willo

Thanks Willo, I was abit shocked at the dates. I wish the coins could talk! Because the dates are so close I can only guess that they must have been dropped around that time. The condition of the coins also supports this. They were found in dry sandy soil which isn't farmed.

1377431792_p8250007.jpg
1377431809_p8250008.jpg

Just a couple of shots of the obverse side. The only cleaning done to these coins was a wash in clean water and a rub with olive oil. Great details!

There's a few things that get me excited when urban detecting, it includes Silvers, coins spills and 1800's coins of any kind, and today you found all three. Well done Scoopa it must have been an existing discovery.

Yeah great day Nugget. Although coin numbers were down the quality made up for it! We'll have to arrange another group hunt!

Hey GoldandSand you're right, lots of people up my way, that's why I poach down your way! We'll have to catch up for a hunt!

Good one GoldandSand! Put your name on one side and 'missed out' on the other! When ever you've got time for a hunt drop me a line and we'll go! I don't mind travelling anywhere.

Hey Scoopa, awesome haul there mate! Well done! It's got me keen now that I'm back in this area to head back out for a detect. Have to head out soon for a hunt. Let me know when your heading out and we can meet up. They never get them all!

Hi Jadenflair. I'm running a Minelab E-trac, Just love it! I'm available to go out anytime, just need abit of notice. I'll be out and about for sure next weekend. Happy hunting!

Latest posts