Yorktown SA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wife wants me to go to Yorktown SA for a couple of months to help her mum out and fix a few things around her house .Does anyone know of any spots around there u can spec . If so what is best gear to pack u would use down there (detectorcs pans etc ). Far as i know only copper on York Peninsurlar

There is gold associated with the copper, though most of it is sourced from deep underground with a good deal of surface cover, so I don't like your chances. Yorketown is more well known for its salt mining. ;)

Hey old fred, not a lot to chase gold wise on the YP (no ones really looked on the surface), but here is a link that might give you an option.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18351
Otherwise here's an interesting story that your mother in law might be able to give you directions to. When i was working at the local supermarket a guy called Robert Cadd, who runs Warooka Minlaton Transport (originally Cadd transport), used to pick up our recycled bales of cardboard. During one of his trips we had a conversation about gold detecting, anyway he told me about a bloke that used to grow turkeys for sale somewhere between minlaton and yorketown. Robert says that when the bloke used to process the turkeys he sometimes found little nuggets in the gizzards, now Robert is an honest true blue bloke and i am certain that this story is legit. The only question i would have is, did he grow the turkeys from scratch or did he buy them in as pullets (or whatever a young chick is called), if he grew them from scratch then one has to determine there is gold in the paddock that the turkeys ranged on. I was always going to follow this up, but haven't at this stage, maybe your mother in law might know where this turkey farm used to be located. Or you could pop in to see Robert at the minlaton depot and tell him Reg sent you for directions (mud map) to the old turkey farm, he's an easy going bloke and would readily give you the info.
Cheers ss.

Secret Squirrels said:
Hey old fred, not a lot to chase gold wise on the YP (no ones really looked on the surface), but here is a link that might give you an option.
Otherwise here's an interesting story that your mother in law might be able to give you directions to. When i was working at the local supermarket a guy called Robert Cadd, who runs Warooka Minlaton Transport (originally Cadd transport), used to pick up our recycled bales of cardboard. During one of his trips we had a conversation about gold detecting, anyway he told me about a bloke that used to grow turkeys for sale somewhere between minlaton and yorketown. Robert says that when the bloke used to process the turkeys he sometimes found little nuggets in the gizzards, now Robert is an honest true blue bloke and i am certain that this story is legit. The only question i would have is, did he grow the turkeys from scratch or did he buy them in as pullets (or whatever a young chick is called), if he grew them from scratch then one has to determine there is gold in the paddock that the turkeys ranged on. I was always going to follow this up, but haven't at this stage, maybe your mother in law might know where this turkey farm used to be located. Or you could pop in to see Robert at the minlaton depot and tell him Reg sent you for directions (mud map) to the old turkey farm, he's an easy going bloke and would readily give you the info.
Cheers ss.
Thank u for the info .Wife is sending question to mother in law about farm .Thanks again for the effort Secret Squirrels

Secret Squirrels said:
Cheers ss.

Hi SS , just out of interest what years did you work at the supermarket . ( we've just had a visit from Kev & Bev Loechel ) We leased the Melville Hotel from Feb 2008 to August 20 2014 .

Cheers
goldrat

goldrat said:
Hi SS , just out of interest what years did you work at the supermarket . ( we've just had a visit from Kev & Bev Loechel ) We leased the Melville Hotel from Feb 2008 to August 20 2014 .

Cheers
goldrat
I meant local as in my local which is further north than Yorketown or Minlaton.

Latest posts