X-Terra coil selection help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave14110

David Gothard
Reaction score
Hi all recently purchased some more coils for Xterra just wondering if anyone has tried Coils other than standard Concentric or 10x5 oliptical DD.
New Coils are 5 inch DD, 10&1/2 inch round DD
If anybody has tried these info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers dave

i like my 10.5 round DD it is a nice coil to use i use it more than any of my others for coins .and deadly accurate when pinpointing and you dont need to use the pin point button.
i just bought a 6" dd hf cant realy comment on it yet cosd i have not used it much .

johno

Hi Dave, I have a Coiltek 15" ALL TERRAIN X-TERRA 3kHz that is used in prospecting mode for coins and treasure. The coil works good away from power lines and anything metal, I found a very small signet ring the other day at about 8" in a park that had been detected many times before. Go to the Coiltek site there is lots of information on coil for the X-Terra 705 here one. http://www.coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/2012-xterra-test-results.html
Blue55
1363550092_img_0255.jpg

On my 705 I have the 10x5 oliptical DD coil....would this be ok for the beach?

What would be the ideal beach coil?

Gidday Everyone,

Hoping someone with X-Terra experience can help.
My wife has an X-Terra 70 and the plastic fins so to speak that connect to the shaft from the coil, have broken leaving us to hunt for a new coil.
The coil that is broken is the round one the detector came with.
Do I buy the same coil for her or is there a better one available that we should go for.
She is definitely a coin and relic hunter.
Thanks in advance for any advice

GT :)

Make up a brace for the fins and just epoxy them back into place. May not look pretty but much cheaper than buying a new coil. My fav all-round coil for the Xterras is the 10.5" round in 18.75 kHz.

Thanks guys. I'll give the glue a go but I fear its a bit too far gone.
Cheers

GT :)

Hi guys, I have the 7.5Khz concentric standard coil at the moment and I was thinking of upgrading to a better coil. So here is my question, what coil for beach, coin and relic hunting should i go for? and is the lower Khz better than the higher Khz? Thanks.

I used to run a 705 with that coil and the DD in the gold pack.

After a few months I bought the coiltek 15 inch in 18khz and then in 7.5khz, I added the small digger 6Inch at 3 khz as well.

The 7.5 was and still is, the bloke i sold it to nailed a half sov 2 weeks ago, a coin killer, the lower frequencies love the high conductors and the coins stood out like DB's in audio. The 18 Khz big coil was awesome on the beach But the 7.5 kicked it to the curb on dry land.

Little 3khz coil was the best for up against the trees and through built up bush. It pings hard on the high conductors and separates well. Pin Pointing is stupid easy with the little fella too.

Unfortunately the best coil for the beach and the best for the land are different. Beach 18khz to find the smaller stuff and hit gold better, 7.5 for the parks and the coin cleanup.

Maybe the NEL or MarsMD dual/multi frequency coils could be the go to give you the best of both worlds.

Can highly recommend the coilteks but If you can get just one coil I would go the 7.5khz in my opinion. It is just a superb coil and I loved using it.

Just be aware though it adds massive weight and may take a few weeks to get used to.

Hope that helps mate

Clegy

Hi

the wife has a Xterra 705 i have a gold monster 1000 we basically just search for gold would it be worth purchasing a
Minelab 6 inch 18.75 kHz DD Metal Detector Coil for the X-terra 705 to help find small gold around ballarat/creswick areas.
we are not in the position to purchase a better detector for gold at the moment.
she is currently using the 10"x5" 18.75kHz DD Coil when we go out does anyone think this would be an advantage or not
also has anyone used this coil for success with gold?

here is a link to the coil in question

http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-6-inch-18-75-khz-dd-metal-detector-coil

got a 705 I bought a few different coils don't waste your money have the 6 inch dd not a lot of difference at all still will hit ever hot rock I tried the 15 inch coil works great on the beach and after many trips to the gold fields only thing I came up with is It don't work in those areas on the other hand terrific machine on the field chasing coins and relics and spot on on the beach if gold is what you are chasing the chances are slim to none hope this helps

Thanks
she is finding plenty of targets (and hot rocks)but that also includes lead shots so it is useable in the goldfields.

I gotta ask, Are you digging those hot rocks or is the machine "Just" ID'ing them ?

The reason I ask is because with my VLF I have never dug any hot or cold rocks because when I go over them their signal is night and day, there is no mistaking them.

Ok thanks, Well there are a few folks here and on other forums that have done quite well on gold using the X-70/705, VLF's are not the Ideal machine in Aus but at one time that's all we had, yes there are better options nower days "But" yes it will find Gold and finding Gold with any detector regardless of the brand and model is a real tough job, So don't be put off, You have only got to walk over where someone else hasn't and your in with a chance.

Finding Gold is only part of the enjoyment, being out there together is the real Gold.

That other coil might help and it might not but there again it might just stumble upon the "Foot of Faith" or the other Hand of Faith, Personally I would grab it and take it to the old tailing piles and creek beds and just enjoy ya selves and don't forget to check out up the walls of those narrow creeks ( Up the creek Banks ),

hope that helps,

J.

Steve, One thing I missed in one of your replies,,, Look If She "sorry don't know her name" Is finding Lead Shot She Is Going to Find Gold, If a person or a machine can find lead Shot then it is just a matter of time before She digs one target that is Gold.

Ridge Runner said:
Steve, One thing I missed in one of your replies,,, Look If She "sorry don't know her name" Is finding Lead Shot She Is Going to Find Gold, If a person or a machine can find lead Shot then it is just a matter of time before She digs one target that is Gold.

Thanks for the advice might grab the smaller coil to try and see if it helps

Latest posts