Winter

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinman98

John Kleinman
Reaction score
Dont know about you guys but getting older is a good thing for me especially in winter. I see prospecting in winter as something for the young and the brave and cant wait for warmer weather.

Hopefully soon I will have my Prado back on the road soon and everything ready for spring but until then its staying at home and rugged up for me.

Just put heaps of clothes on John , warm as toast EXCEPT when the hands go in the water

The vehicle and road conditions are more of a concern when it's MINUS digits outside LOL

John,
You should have been out with us yesterday @ Oallen, -6C when we arrived and with a clear sky there was some good colour.

It took me a long time to get over that first pan, even though I had gloves on it still got right through to my bones.

Peter :cool:

Winter is what I bought a metal detector for. What else can I do during the freezing Tasmanian winter?

great time of the year - the hot ground issues are almost down to zero. add a damp, not wet ground, and performance should be marginally better. issue? operators freezing their bollox off. great time of the year to hit the libraries, service gear and wait for a break in the weather. went for a stroll this morning -3. Brrr. nice bowl of home-made porridge and a hot chocky did the trick.

pjg100 said:
John,
You should have been out with us yesterday @ Oallen, -6C when we arrived and with a clear sky there was some good colour.

It took me a long time to get over that first pan, even though I had gloves on it still got right through to my bones.

Peter :cool:

And I saw water actually freeze in the pan at about 9.00am , also the cuff of my trackies got wet and a rock about the size of a hens egg got stuck (frozen) to the cuff - I wondered what was banging me on the ankle till I saw it. Weirdest thing I have seen in a while :eek:

Barry

if your cold your not moving fast enough or smashing ground hard enough....take advantage!

I'll take winter over summer for Detecting. Easy to add a few layers of warm clothes. Saves having to carry 3l of water and sweating your ass off. If you plod along detecting then summer may be okay but walking 20+ k's a day exploring and digging holes is a bitch in 40 degree heat. Was -2 in the adelaide hills this morning brrrrrr

You can put more layers on. Work hard warm up, freely available water, no mozzies or Flys or snakes, less people out like Greenies and bushwalkers. Best time of year, downsides getting bogged, shorter days, and a good soaking will leave you with the shivers, and have to stay away from the deep holes, always enough shade in winter chances are no banana benders left in the state either Vico winters sort the hard core from the wanderers. If I had one request it would be longer days.

1814.................Bendigo Winter.
The sound of axes and woodcutters in the bush background,
The scented smell of burning boxwood rising from the chimney's all accross the gullys,
The baker's oven fills the air with smell of fresh bread and rolls,
A blacksmith hammer falls onto the anvil hammering another miners pick and horse shoe, whilst the bellows follow tune,
Children play in the streets on their way to school, running and laughing whilst their mothers beckon to the them to stay out of the puddles of frozen water,
Horse and cart weave their way in and out of the content townsfolk on their way to the local goods store for supplies,
The sound of picks and shovels echo's accross the gullys almost keeping time,
A cry from Job's gully brings news of a great find that see's the whole community gather round and each share in the amazement of the lucky diggers new find,
"To the local one and all for this bitterly cold day shall see our bellies warmed with the taste of good liquor, i shout you all with the wealth from my gold find" says the lucky digger as he struts off leading the heard of cold weary diggers through the foggy winter air.

2014..................Bendigo Winter
The sound of chainsaws and sawbenches in the bush background,
The smell of boxwood burning mixed with firelighters and paper hang low accross the suberbia gullys,
The sound of the engine exhaust brake cracks through the morning air as the bread truck goes about his deliveries,
A boiley's grinder screams through the day, while he is busy making another ute or trucktray,
Children exit the cars at the front of the school, stepping past the frozen puddle's of water, while the mothers roar off, as if it was the first time they were going to be late for an appoitment.
Delivery trucks angrily blast their horns at shoppers as they duck into a park bay,
The sound of reversing alarms and heavy machinery now echo accross the gullys once filled with man and hand tool,
No cry can be heard from Jobs gully, just a whisper and a hum..............followed by a faint whooop........... as the digger recovers his small but satisfying little nugget, kept absolutely quiet as not to draw attention to himself, he slowly disappears into the foggy winter air in search of his next great find.

But winter stays the same. :mad: :D

dwt - very, very nice - almost poetic. your list is a keeper.

Bendigo winter 1850s - struggling with a repressive, over taxing Government, toiling under a foreign flag, answering to unrepresentative Spring Street flog-bags. Working men toil for very little gain in order to line the pockets of exploitive capitalists, and your kids will have no chance to attend Uni as it costs too much. You can't afford to heat your home -its too expensive and all the previously free timber is now owned and controlled by the same exploitive capitalists to 'prop' up their businesses. People are complaining about the damage done to creeks by diggers.

Bendigo winter 2014 - ditto.

Wow dwt, I was there. Excellent writing.Cant wait for your book. Freezing here in Adelaide as well. I must be a desperate,on my way to Mt Crawford for a swing.Just gotta watch out for sharks.More chance of being bit by a shark than me finding any gold there. Still one must continue the chase.

Quite a nice piece of authorage DWT. I grew up near Dandenong in the 50's and you could use a lot of those phrases to describe life at the time.
Wonderful word pictures. :)

Beautiful writeup. As much as I like the stability and security of the modern era it's the old days that are so much more appealing. Anyone who really loves the great outdoors will be able to imagine an empathic connection to your description with all 5 senses, a rare feat these days.

In the tablelands of NSW winter is the only time to detect some of my favourite places, whereas in summer the snakes are so thick on the ground it is impossible to detect. Not uncommon to see over 10 snakes in an hour detecting there in summer. The grass hides them and you run a risk on treading on them. I don't mind walking close to a snake but treading on them is the issue.
I had a big brown snake bite my gumboot. The fangs got caught in the rubber, the venom was running down the inside of the boot and down my leg and it took 2 big kicks to get the snake off the boot. Biggest adrenaline rush i have had in my life thus far.

As for mud wallowing and working in water during winter in the tablelands. You cant even pick up the sapphires with your fingers after 10 minutes in the water.
RDD

Latest posts