Wine bargains to be had

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzzieAu

I’m a bloke
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a sms from one of my wholesalers for a three hour sale on some red wine for $99 a doz. Normally $420.
I jumped on board and grabbed a couple of cases of a gold medal Limestone Coast shiraz.
It was a cancelled shipment to China.... just goes to show how those export orders jack up the price for us local consumers.
All you imbibers out there..... support the local growers and enjoy some good wine while its plentiful.
Cheers and Merry Xmas. :beer:

Hard Luck said:
There has always been bargains around. They are called goon bags :p

In all seriousness, just shows you how much we were/are getting ripped.

The term Goon Bag makes me shudder :argh: I remember not that long ago (10/12 years) having to deal with teenagers (a couple of our girls and some of their girlfriends) who had had too much. It was the 1st time I'd ever heard the term thankfully now their mature adults and drink responsibly.

This is like goon.... but in glass ]:D

1608162896_screenshot_2020-11-23-16-16-35.jpg

very cheap... but. bites hard :p

Hard Luck said:
There has always been bargains around. They are called goon bags :p

In all seriousness, just shows you how much we were/are getting ripped.

Having family in the business, I know that is not accurate (particularly at the producer end). It is dependent on supply, oversupply, recovering costs (at least), and getting a commodity off the shelves that does not last forever (only a percentage have a long life). And if China cancels you will cut prices to cost recovery before everyone else tries the same.

Far too much is produced by small producers for them to be able to artificially boost prices most of the time. It is very competitive nowadays.

Try Gray's On Line wine auctions . Some have no reserve price , delivered to your door for a fee .

Retired wine maker down the road bought quite a large amount of shiraz in bulk from a winery that was going to bottle it and send it to china. As he knows the game he's had it bottled and we took some off his hands to help him out $60 doz. A very nice drop & will get better he said if put down for a few years. Not sure if it will last that long though :)

For a white wine from Grays on line , try Salisbury Pinot Grigio 2018 . I paid $76 for a doz. delivered to the door . Chill in the fridge .

Speaking of wine... I went to a wine tasting at the St Anne's Winery Cellar Door in Echuca last month, and they had some really nice wines!

I'm not really a wine drinker, but I bought a couple of bottles after the tasting, I liked them that much.

If you're ever in Echuca (Vic), it's definitely worth a visit. Nice hosts, and an interesting place with lots of items on sale besides the wines.

Cheers,
Megsy

I know of a guy who bought a penfolds Grange at a wine shop for $430 and 6 - 8 years later sold it at auction , a chinese lady ended up paying $65,000 for it , apparently her and a hat full of her real estate agent friends were known for partying hard at Gold Coast restaurants , I am sure they enjoyed themselves.

Around 15 years ago I used to hang out with some futures traders in Sydney , some of their Friday drinks would feature $40,000 to $100,000 spent on wine just in one night at a table of 6 - 8 blokes .

:cool:

Outback said:
Mike678 said:
For a white wine from Grays on line , try Salisbury Pinot Grigio 2018 . I paid $76 for a doz. delivered to the door . Chill in the fridge .

Mike ' I can tell your a good drinker bye your pic :beer:

Cheers & Beers
Jack .

That red nose is from his days doing FIFO at the North Pole working as a standby reindeer in case Rudolph got sick.

That was my winter photo , a friend was trying to give me a hard time . New year resolution , refrain from buying from Grays on line . Too much temptation to sample to see that they have not gone off !!

Been to the Doc's today and he says my blood pressure is good . Sent me off for a blood test , including PSA .

As a fitter I did look at working at Olympic Dam in S.A . At that time I was far better off working in Sydney . Never did FIFO .

PsychWard said:
Outback said:
Mike678 said:

Mike ' I can tell your a good drinker bye your pic :beer:

Cheers & Beers
Jack .

That red nose is from his days doing FIFO at the North Pole working as a standby reindeer in case Rudolph got sick.

Now where have I come across that sense of humour before.... hmm. ;)

Latest posts