Wind turbines

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thomo said:
Cut them up and bury them after20 years..?

I call bs on that.

They are just a turbine like they use in the Kiewa and Snowy hydro scheme only above ground

Those turbines were installed back in the 1950s and sit there underground producing power.
Wind turbines will be the same only above ground
They build the structure and with maintenance will produce power for many years to come.

Only when the wind blows but.

Maybe there should be a petrol engine in each tower to turn the turbine when the wind is not blowing. :D :playful: :playful:

All I know is if that is the size of the propellers I'd hate to see the size of the Outboard and Tinny they go On. :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thomo said:
Cut them up and bury them after20 years..?

I call bs on that.

They are just a turbine like they use in the Kiewa and Snowy hydro scheme only above ground

Those turbines were installed back in the 1950s and sit there underground producing power.
Wind turbines will be the same only above ground
They build the structure and with maintenance will produce power for many years to come.

Yeah you might want to rethink that, they are a toxic landfill problem just like solar panels are yet we dont get to see the end result, and this is coming from someone who lives and has lived totally off the grid for 10 year plus.

All well and good for green ideals but reality is somewhat different.

Nuclear power will never happen , too ,too many greenies sitting in their air con. offices in the cities . My vote is for geo thermal power 24/7 . The power can be transported by high voltage D.C. transmission at low cost and low loss . I know of 2 D.C . transmission lines in Australia . One is from the main land to Tasmania , the other is on the east coast from Q'land to NSW . Check it out .

Just need somebody like Elon Musk with the guts to put the money up ....

I reckon Molten Salt reactors are the way to go when
they perfect the technology.
Safe as and if something goes pear shaped,
They just simply shut down.

Mike678 said:
Nuclear power will never happen , too ,too many greenies sitting in their air con. offices in the cities . My vote is for geo thermal power 24/7 . The power can be transported by high voltage D.C. transmission at low cost and low loss . I know of 2 D.C . transmission lines in Australia . One is from the main land to Tasmania , the other is on the east coast from Q'land to NSW . Check it out .

Just need somebody like Elon Musk with the guts to put the money up ....

The hard part is base load power. Not for residential or small scale commercial, for industrial loads like aluminium and steel manufacturing. If we give up coal and dont adopt nuclear then I see a shaky future. The caveat is better tech like advanced batteries, stored hydro, hydrogen, natural gas etc, doable but probably uneconomical at this point in time.

Still not convinced about the direction being pushed, for such a smart species we still make a lot of poor choices.

Tathradj said:
I reckon Molten Salt reactors are the way to go when
they perfect the technology.
Safe as and if something goes pear shaped,
They just simply shut down.

Homogeneous nucleation can occur if moisture/water is introduced to molten salt, basically instantaneous vaporisation. Two maintenance workers were seriously injured in a circular saw blade manufacturing plant in NZ when they spilt water in a molten salt, heat treatment chamber. Safer than nuclear but not without its risks.

Mike678 said:
I think I read that the RAAF buried F - 1 11's to get rid of them . Is that correct ???

Yes 23 buried out at Swanbank, Ipswich QLD... I think they only kept 6 or so for Display...

https://www.qt.com.au/news/famous-fighters-dumped-in-hole/1185891/

As for wind farms, you just need to see them at White Rock Wind farm, At Swan Vale west of Glen Innes there are 70 of them in full operation and now stage 2 has started construction with another 40 to be installed.....

Then there is Sapphire Wind farm about 25km away will have another 40 + under construction now... Its the biggest wind farm in NSW and soon to the biggest in Amustralia... There are plans in place for 100's to be installed... All owned by Nexif Energy.. Farmers are making big bucks from them after the worst drought on record...

QLD has the biggest ATM at Coopers Gap.... ;) And they have between 2.5t - 6.5t of Copper wire in each one.... So lots of jobs created by these things...

Megga Truckers show on Foxtel has featured their trip from Newcastle to The Farm...

LW...

OzzieAu said:
I think these batteries will be a way of the future. They could be set up as a community storage unit to accept all the unused grid input from everyones household solar systems, then drawn upon when needed.
The tech behind these batteries is brilliant. :trophy:
https://ambri.com/technology/
https://ambri.com/

This looks like a very interesting development. We've all seen how badly a lithium iron battery degrades within a few years. You're lucky to end up with 60% of the rated capacity when it reaches it's half life. If the liquid metal battery is what it's claimed to be then it will maintain almost full capacity throughout its lifespan and do it at a reduced cost.

Most of the aluminum smelters have been closed down in Australia because of high electricity costs . Geo thermal power will give you base load power 24/7 .

You might be right Mike, not even going to pretend I understand the cost or availability of geothermal here in Aus or its viability. I dont mind coal myself, but thats another topic entirely.

Latest posts