Wild Life

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On the road south of Hall's Creek I was flagged down by another motorist. He excitedly told me he had just seen a pure white kangaroo.Remarkably, he then saw it returning to cross the road about 10 metres from where we stood.There was a blue doe accompanied by a half grown pure white joey. The camera was in the car. I grabbed the camera and moved cautiously round the side of the ridge behind which the roos had disappeared hoping that they would have stopped for a feed but they were nowhere in sight' Back at Old Town Lodge I told one of the locals what I had seen, Reaching for his rifle he asked me where I had seen the albino joey.Being a confirmed spoilsport I declined to tell him. I would rather the skin stayed on the roo that on the floor in his annex even though it would have made a wonderful trophy.

Basically same same, came across two whites on a track one either side and looked liked sentries guarding a gate. By the time I pulled quad up and got out camera GONE Bugger. Have spotted tham a few times since but they are always travelling. Wish I could get hold of a vehicle that crossed rough terrain with the speed and ease of a Roo 🙄 👍

I wonder if you could breed white version of them or if they are just albino ? Often see wild rabbits throw a white one. Have to be careful about breeding things though. Imagine breeding a kangaroo with an elephant for instance. We could end up with big holes all over Australia.

I wonder if you could breed white version of them or if they are just albino ? Often see wild rabbits throw a white one. Have to be careful about breeding things though. Imagine breeding a kangaroo with an elephant for instance. We could end up with big holes all over Australia.
I think the breeding of pure white kangaroos would be feasible.
When Charles Darwin was formulating his theory on evolution he consulted pigeon fanciers and then collecting a number of common or garden variety pigeons. He proceeded to breed pure white ones, pure black ones and a variety of other shades. It was all part of his selective breeding theory.
If it worked for pigeons it would probably work for kangaroos.

It is a genetic disorder so I guess if it was passed on down the off spring would be white ? As said have seen two together so one would think they were from the same mob 🤔

It is a genetic disorder so I guess if it was passed on down the off spring would be white ? As said have seen two together so one would think they were from the same mob 🤔
Can be if both parents are albino or even if both just carry that gene. I have seen a number of them (e.g. I think there are 4 in the Grampians zoo in western Victoria). Not my photo.

1677482394769.png

Latest posts