Why dig up target and rebury it

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Numb_Thumb said:
mbasko said:
See it all the time - reburied rubbish; hole left open & rubbish left next to hole or thrown a few feet away.
I always picture those cartoon dudes with the blanked expressions or crossed out eyes when I see it for some reason :lol:

Hang on, how do you know for sure that they have left trash next to the hole? and even more so, is that trash you find a few feet from it, thrown from the hole they dig?

I have found gold in other peoples dig holes, im fairly sure they didnt leave it there on purpose!

Yes, there are horribly bad operators out there but if your a hardened operator you should know that these things you spruke are entirely possible.

Your all clutching at straws here......simply no proof in what you all claim!

Yes we have proof. A good friend of ours admitted to doing just that and I couldn't talk any sense into her either. A year ago while at the DWAG Muster another woman said to me "We are naughty, we just toss our rubbish back". Some people are just not that smart.

I just left a newly found gold patch in Karratha where no rubbish was found. The oldtimers never found gold in the area so there's no rusty steel, no cans, no bullets, boot tacks or aluminium foil. Well now there is. They throw their cans in the fire, sit back with a beer and remove the pulltabs flicking them towards the fire then they unscrew the cap from the stubby and leave it behind. They are are new breed of Australians who have absolutely no respect for beautiful country. They are lacking the common sense that might tell you that the next time you or one of your offspring return you'll be trying to detect in a rubbish pit.

In one particular goldfield I don't know how many Ferrero Rocher wrappers I've found twisted up and inserted into the ground, they give a perfect mellow small nug sound and when you dig them up they look golden coloured. Hope whoever has been doing falls into a barbed wire fence. :)

You guys think the goldfields are bad, try detecting parks in my area, you need the best of the best discriminating detector available, some spots have 10 junk targets per swing. :( Makes it hard some days.

It is not always possible to remove junk from the hole you have dug. Couple years ago I was detecting in new place and got very faint signal. As I dig the hole signal got louder and louder. At about two feet detector was screaming, but no target to be seen. At this stage I started to have a doubt that it is gold. But, anyhow I went back to my car to get crowbar and some water, it was in mid of summer. I continue to dig and finals I hit solid steel. It looked like plow blade, from the bit of curved steel surface I could see. For all I know there could be whole plow or bulldozer buried there. I was pretty pissed off, but have to laugh when I imagined next poor bastard that will dig out that bloody thing again.
Star posts are an other example of unrecoverable junk.
Karl

Hey Karl, have to agree there, some places around here I detect you can't just rip the big targets out as you'll make a mess of the grass in a sensitive area such as a park, I'll just leave targets like that where they are once I can feel the metal with my fingers and feel what they. Every junk target I remove though comes home with me to be binned.

Maybe someone here has an explanation?
Many times while detecting on remote WA goldfields (not old townsites) I have detected galvanised roofing nails driven into the ground, sometimes more than one in a metre area.
Do know Geo's drive 12mm round bar into ground at lease corner pegs, but random nails?

Heatho said:
Hey Karl, have to agree there, some places around here I detect you can't just rip the big targets out as you'll make a mess of the grass in a sensitive area such as a park, I'll just leave targets like that where they are once I can feel the metal with my fingers and feel what they. Every junk target I remove though comes home with me to be binned.

Same with me. I do no remove squashed cans as it would do too mutch damage to the ground. And I want to be on good terms with council staff.
Karl

PabloP said:
Maybe the same sort of person who left more than a dozen bent nails within a short distance, on a track in the Waanyarra forest. Good thing I was walking up it with the detector rather than driving along it.

Rob

Not in these case Rob, the roofing nails are in perfect condition and have found them from Meekatharra to Kalgoorlie. Always driven into the ground with the head flush with surface?

There is a U Tube clip, can,t recall video clip name?
It has a older guy with a foreign accent digging a deep target at Wedderburn, looks like an old claim site, he eventually gets an old piece of rusty steel, after the disappointment he throws it back in the hole and reburies it? :(

He is using a Minelab not sure if its a GPX, or GP, has after market coil and machine has mods done by Woody?

If anyone knows the clip put the link up to this thread. ;)

Nightjar said:
Many times while detecting on remote WA goldfields (not old townsites) I have detected galvanised roofing nails driven into the ground, sometimes more than one in a metre area.
Do know Geo's drive 12mm round bar into ground at lease corner pegs, but random nails?

Could be conservationists string-lining areas for flora/fauna surveys?

Nightjar said:

I've found those spring head nails as well. When they are fresh they have an aluminium tag attached that is stamped with information. I've accidentally torn the tag off with the pick on a couple of occasions so I've just placed it back under a rock on the nail. Some sort of survey marker I guess but you find them way out there sometimes.

Phil, Have never found a tag attached to any of the nails.
But have found the geo aluminium tags, a look around and occasionally there is a termite eaten geo peg laying nearby.
A search around the immediate area usually results finding two staples.

It might just be an alternate way of pegging it. They'd certainly need a metal detector to find them again in some places I've seen them.

I've never actually come across buried rubbish (purposely), but I think some of you are over-analysing this in thinking people bury rubbish out of malice or because they aren't finding gold. I'd say the few people that do this do it as a practical joke and have a laugh to themselves about the poor bugger who ends up digging up the rubbish. They shouldn't do it, it is what it is.

All of the rubbish I've found is old, so it's not newcomers to the hobby that have dumped this stuff but old timers.

cazalla said:
I've never actually come across buried rubbish (purposely), but I think some of you are over-analysing this in thinking people bury rubbish out of malice or because they aren't finding gold. I'd say the few people that do this do it as a practical joke and have a laugh to themselves about the poor bugger who ends up digging up the rubbish. They shouldn't do it, it is what it is.

All of the rubbish I've found is old, so it's not newcomers to the hobby that have dumped this stuff but old timers.

Relics ! old tobacco tins, bottles etc :)
I don't agree anyone should throw trash !
I've seen trailer loads dumped off the side of the road recently and the odd mine shaft camp rubbish dump. Really upsetting that was 8.(
That sort of dumping would blow around and may look as though it was left to throw people off from detecting there.

Agree people would not normally go digging holes just to leave some nails in it for the next person

mbasko said:
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/n3zkMbChh7c[/video]
They might be mucking around?

I love the method that he uses to measure the depth of the hole near the end: by running his hand from the surface at the edge of the hole, across to the pick handle... Very accurate!

Using that method, I'm well over 6 ft tall :lol:

1475538331_img_20161004_104438.jpg

Latest posts