Who's Got An E Bike ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seeing as how I can't walk very far I'm looking for ways of transporting this old body around, and I thought to my self, self you could try an electric assist bike, but then self saw the prices of them and self said to self farcanal that's a bit of dough. :eek:
There are cheapies on ebay and "Aldi" have 1 this week for $799-00. Are they worth it ?
Might even be able to set up some training wheels and detect while I'm riding :lol:

My fossicking partner uses one cause he is old with clapped out knees. Can now go prospect deeper where cars and tired legs don't go (10 _15kms each way in mountains). I just ride my normal MTB. Just be sure you have battery power for return journey, I didn't like having to push the heavy thing the last couple of kms.

Hello, in south Australia electric bicycles are restricted to 200 watts which frankly is pretty useless. Overseas they are often well over 1000 watts which makes them a useful and viable item to get around on. Might be worth looking at electric scooters ? Rules may vary state to state. This electric scooter has a range of 70km and can go up to 70kph. It has a 3200watt motor so my guess is its probably illegal in Australia.
1552198706_nanrobot-ls7-electric-scooter-1.jpg

Goldfreak said:
Hello, in south Australia electric bicycles are restricted to 200 watts which frankly is pretty useless. Overseas they are often well over 1000 watts which makes them a useful and viable item to get around on. Might be worth looking at electric scooters ? Rules may vary state to state. This electric scooter has a range of 70km and can go up to 70kph. It has a 3200watt motor so my guess is its probably illegal in Australia.
they wouldn't be outright illegal. maybe not legal for road use but you could use it elsewhere... maybe need bigger wheels on it tho, & you wouldn't want to be doing 70kph on hiking trails etc coz then you probably would get in the :poop:

hey don't ride one but got an idea how to charge the battery on the run carry 2 bike battery's and a solar panel with you that plugs into your charger that way if you ever run outa juice in one battery you can charge your battery via solar while the other is running the bike.

hi xcvator the only thing you must always have in the back of your mind with these things is that it is only assist you still need to peddle having said that they are great to help you get up inclines and they do help to get the old legs moving was thinking about the aldi one for myself to help get rid of the fluid in my legs til i eventually cave in and get the knee replacement. great idea though and im sure there could be a bit of tinkering to improve performance as with the chainsaw assisted bikes awhile ago. the local licence loosers would get their hands on the 65 cc chainsaws off of ebay and have no trouble evading the local plod.again if it gets you out doing the good things go for it
Pagan P

Goldfreak said:
Found something even better for ewe from our kiwi friends. Even has a 12v aux plug to run your bilge pump high banker. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BWDl-TzPsHI https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...6533_fa4fa735-c180-4421-a2e1-27ab74191296.jpg
hey Goldfreak thats the UBCO Bike I put a link to in my post above, but I was having trouble extracting a pic to upload. :Y:
They are a pretty neat unit, but still a bit high in proce, at around $7,500 for the 'off-road' version. Beauty of them is the 2WD system (electric hub motor front & rear)

I bought 2 electric bikes about 4 years ago from Lyal Eagles store in Marybourgh, they are really good , if you pedal you can get up to 40 km , but if you don,t pedal about 20 km , cost just under $1000 . They are Volvo , I think they still sell them.

Would that UBCO bike need recreation rego if it was ridden in the state forest? For $3,000 id seriously look at buying one, $8000 too rich for me.

1st ride on the new "Aldi" bike today :D

1st ride on bicycle for 40+ years :8

No skin removed, yay :Y:

Geeze 20 kph is fast on a bike, and only in 3rd gear :poop: 4 more gears and 3 levels of power help to go :(

Tour de France here I come :lol: :lol:

xcvator said:
1st ride on the new "Aldi" bike today :D

1st ride on bicycle for 40+ years :8

No skin removed, yay :Y:

Geeze 20 kph is fast on a bike, and only in 3rd gear :poop: 4 more gears and 3 levels of power help to go :(

Tour de France here I come :lol: :lol:

You'll have to change your user name to Speedy :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been down the E bike trail ages ago ' performance was so weak & limited then , sure the battery systems are a heap better these days ' But the cost !

Solution : Get a old mountain bike & fit a cheap 70cc 2stroke kit , you will need to replace the standard supplied 44 tooth rear sprocket with a 56 tooth for off road .
Fill the tyres with slime to stop punctures .

For a few hundred bucks you can set up a good off road prospecting unit that can take you so much further . ;)

You can carry one off these on a bike rack off your tow bar .

Pics of some of my bikes .

1553079945_motoredbikes2.jpg

Latest posts