Who said there's no detectable gold in Tasmania?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gday gents,i love tas, did a month there towing the van about 3 years ago, top place to holiday.Was lucky to get an invite from a forum member at Launceston to go north east for a detect, place was back creek, we went to a spot where he had recently found a 5g, it was January and very hot, 38 deg. and the locals were dropping in the streets, and we'd recently been warned by a ranger in national park that the tiger snakes were mating and very aggressive at the time.When we arrived at spot my mate got out and put a large pair of gum boots on, I just had the usual work boots on, looking around spear grass and bracken thick and waste high , no way was I wading through that wthout gaiters I didn't have, he proceeded and I hung back to patrol the edges of the dirt road and after about 20 grader chips came up wth a 0.4g for the day.
One of the most spectacular things I saw there was a large gum tree sitting on a bed of large quartz rocks 3m high wth the tree on top and the roots xtending down around the rocks to the ground, obviously 10 feet of ground had been removed in this area and tree had been worked around. things you see when you don't have a camera.
This gents old dad in the past ran a sluice/trommel in central tasi wth the assistance of a couple of young fellows and every day at the cleanup, theyd get all the gold out and throw away the rest of the heavies that was full of blue stones, what!!! anyway I ve got the mud map and i'll be back.
Love tasi, its a great state full of nice people, hope theres still a few nugs left. phill

mbasko said:
I think I'm gonna have to get a map of Tassie & have a long, hard look at it. Be good to have a poke around down there :lol:

might be a bit tongue in cheek but well written :lol:

mbasko said:
I think I'm gonna have to get a map of Tassie & have a long, hard look at it. Be good to have a poke around down there :lol:

Yes, this current 'clearfelling' craze helps us find the right hole now that the 'brush' has been removed...

detecta2 said:
gday gents,i love tas, did a month there towing the van about 3 years ago, top place to holiday.Was lucky to get an invite from a forum member at Launceston to go north east for a detect, place was back creek, we went to a spot where he had recently found a 5g, it was January and very hot, 38 deg. and the locals were dropping in the streets, and we'd recently been warned by a ranger in national park that the tiger snakes were mating and very aggressive at the time.When we arrived at spot my mate got out and put a large pair of gum boots on, I just had the usual work boots on, looking around spear grass and bracken thick and waste high , no way was I wading through that wthout gaiters I didn't have, he proceeded and I hung back to patrol the edges of the dirt road and after about 20 grader chips came up wth a 0.4g for the day.
One of the most spectacular things I saw there was a large gum tree sitting on a bed of large quartz rocks 3m high wth the tree on top and the roots xtending down around the rocks to the ground, obviously 10 feet of ground had been removed in this area and tree had been worked around. things you see when you don't have a camera.
This gents old dad in the past ran a sluice/trommel in central tasi wth the assistance of a couple of young fellows and every day at the cleanup, theyd get all the gold out and throw away the rest of the heavies that was full of blue stones, what!!! anyway I ve got the mud map and i'll be back.
Love tasi, its a great state full of nice people, hope theres still a few nugs left. phill

Would love to go and check that area out for you ! I would even send you some pretty blue stones in exchange for the mudmap . It must be around Rossarden or Story's Creek area, you need to know how to play a banjo to go up there ! LOL

alwayslooking said:
Would love to go and check that area out for you ! I would even send you some pretty blue stones in exchange for the mudmap . It must be around Rossarden or Story's Creek area, you need to know how to play a banjo to go up there ! LOL

I haven't heard of sapphires or much gold in the Rossarden / Storeys Creek area, so I doubt it was there. That was a tin/wolfram area with a bit of uranium. The majority of sapphires are in the northeast, and there's not much of anything at all in the middle... unless he's talking Adamsfield. The last leaseholder there, Rusty Morley, had the osmiridium licence, and he also used to get a bit of gold. He would often get sapphires in his sluices and used to toss them in the creek with the rest of the chromite, zircons, topaz, and other assorted heavies. You can still find sapphires there, but the whole area has now been exempted from mining, and prospecting is no longer permitted.

Sapphires also occurred with tin on the west coast, at Stanley River, with tin, gold and osmiridium at the Wilson River, and in some of the north-draining rivers on the north-west coast. These also carry a bit of gold. Perhaps it's a possibility. Another possibility is the Moina/Middlesex area.

Was the only place I could think of with tin and gold in central Tas. I know a fellow that used to work in the Storeys Creek mine and said they used to get stones and crystals of all shapes and colours and they used to ship them off to universities and such. There should be some sapphires up that way but I was always too busy looking for gold over the hill to check. I have read Detecta2 's post someplace before, it always had me wondering. Hope he gives up a bit of info, maybe we could shout him a beer when he gets down here .

not as central as I thought, its sought of between tulla and waratah, we actually found the track in but we had the van on and was close to our return and still had a few things we wanted to see. Was just a track ,pretty tight and had to keep it for the future, only landmark we really had about 5 ks before the track were some old power line towers,hope there still there, maybe September next year well drop down there again if we can get a good deal on the ferry, regrds phill

Thanks detecta2, at least that clears that up, not much in the midlands except sheep droppings and a bit of bauxite. lol Good pies at the Ross Bakery though ! Hope you get down here and have a scratch around . Take care.

Latest posts