Who makes the most money out of beef cattle.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digger Danny said:
Folks I am adding my bit to a post as i read it in order, I know after this is done it may be covered further down the thread. I am please about the amount of responses so far. I will just add this little bit at the moment from my experience, in some cases the worker on the station is not the highest paid, but it is not the type of job you are in for the money it is the life style, the mate ship and animal skills that you form. I can say I myself have worked in heat/dust and rain/mud very hard for no where near what a brickies labour gets (no offense to the brickies labour) and enjoyed it 99% of the time, the best time of the day was beer o'clock and I have never enjoyed a beer as much.

Cheers, DD
Here here???

It don't mater how do iyou turn the subject around and examine it's various parts, basic problem with meat industry and actually everything else is that there is more and more chiefs and less and less of indians. By the nature of things chiefs get pay considerably more then indians. By having so many chiefs there is not enough of money for them. So to justify their existence and their salaries they have to invent new laws, regulations, penalties and taxes. So ever decreasing population of indians who actually do something useful, get poorer and the chiefs get richer.
In near future almost everyone will have a university degree and burning ambition to sit on their ass and do nothing. God help to few remaining indians.
Karl

aussiefarmer said:
Moved from the investment thread,

Food = the investment will go ahead once we are fairly paid , e.g. Meat, we raise the mothers to 2 or 3 years old then they give birth and we raise the of spring for upto 12 months then we get $2 /$5 dressed weight a kilo and its $28 per kilo in the shop , now theres the problem I understand overheads but its a joke when we do the hard yards .
Rant over

As for meat its a hard one ,outlets are not good old family butchers that used to source it locally and process it themselves buying direct from farms cutting out at least three middle men that all tack a bit on .
big corporate monopolies have sold at losses just to shut small business and the attraction and convenience of the range of goods that used to take 8 different family shops to sell wins out, if they took all the items that aren't food out of the supermarkets there would actually be room for our trolley's wink

fruit and veg they need to tax imports , it is sad when you can buy imported bananas cheaper ,when we have a struggling industry here that would expand if the sales were there. Only have to look how many small growers of fruit are left about these days.

better mention gold here some where :lol: GOLD :lol:

new rant
The biggest kick in the nuts is when prices do rise the green groups usually release some footage they have been saving for such an occasion, thinking they are being humane and all they achieve is taking much needed profits out of the industry therefore stopping producers from being able to upgrade caveman infrastructure to more modern and humane technologies .
Most farmers depend on once in ten year windfalls to replace large assets the other 9 years just pays the bills . Taking market confidence away from farmers just makes it even harder for them to consider pouring more money in to a weak investment.
I do believe the green groups do play an important role in exposing rouge people in the industry but the way they go about it is only disadvantaging the animals they are supposed to be helping.
:)

Aussiefarmer, by coincidence today I was browsing the Research Papers on NSW Parliament website. One that I read was the Farm trespass, surveillance
and the Biosecurity Bill 2015
https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/p...urveillance+and+the+Biosecurity+Bill+2015.pdf

Interesting read.

I also read a few more on Crown Land use and a few others that are relevant to our fraternity. Worth a look.

The Peacekeeper

Who makes the most? Supermarkets. Straight up. The bloke selling the cow doesn't even get close per kilo on the mark up. OK so butchers wage, disposal, electricity etc is involved but I I am deadly serious anyone below them by the kilo is getting shamefully screwed in comparison. I'm not anti supermarket, it is a true and verifiable fact. Any aussie meat eater would cry if they came clean. Rack of lamb, before retail might make my table once a week instead of a couple times a year if the "real" price was on the sticker. It's a cruel joke.

Ivo said:
Digger Danny said:
busted knuckle mining said:
traceability thats what the ear tags are for.....meat can be traced from butcher to paddock.

Thats why we use brands, can not be removed/adjusted(easy). I know what you are saying as some graziers have adopted into their herd management but it is another cost.
I don't know about where you are digger but my local sale yard refused to take my cows because they were branded saying"it didnt look good for the buyer" so that was 8 cows i had to pay twice for transport and the mongr#ls slugged me holding fees as well

A new one on me I know they were concerned about the placement of the brand's because of hide quality but I was unaware of no requirement to brand. I have not worked in the industry for 7 years because of the body just don't like it (back, hips,neck),but have a son still involved in a way. When is the gov going to nlis roo's they must need traceability if they being harvested for human consumption :lol: :lol: . I just like to follow it in case I have one big lotto win I could put a good deposit down for my son to work for himself. I am not saying it would be the best value for money but he does not like town. I live in Brisbane on the south side.

Cheers, DD

Digger Danny said:
Ivo said:
Digger Danny said:
busted knuckle mining said:
traceability thats what the ear tags are for.....meat can be traced from butcher to paddock.

Thats why we use brands, can not be removed/adjusted(easy). I know what you are saying as some graziers have adopted into their herd management but it is another cost.
I don't know about where you are digger but my local sale yard refused to take my cows because they were branded saying"it didnt look good for the buyer" so that was 8 cows i had to pay twice for transport and the mongr#ls slugged me holding fees as well

A new one on me I know they were concerned about the placement of the brand's because of hide quality but I was unaware of no requirement to brand. I have not worked in the industry for 7 years because of the body just don't like it (back, hips,neck),but have a son still involved in a way. When is the gov going to nlis roo's they must need traceability if they being harvested for human consumption :lol: :lol: . I just like to follow it in case I have one big lotto win I could put a good deposit down for my son to work for himself. I am not saying it would be the best value for money but he does not like town. I live in Brisbane on the south side.

Cheers, DD
Don't know about now i was talking over 20 years ago

madworld said:
I love the fact that my weekly shop costs me more so my food can be certified to a religion i dont follow
Its like paying the marfia for protection...
Its not just meat, 95% of chicken Australia wide is certified, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, bread, milk products, plastic containers, even Shoes ! 40-50% of all food sold in woolies or coles is certified even Vegemite !
making money for nothing and we are paying.
:mad:

I will say this in favor of the cocky/graizer, as far as I know he/she has the most expense per beast and takes the most risk. How would most of us feel about working not knowing what we are going to be paid at the end. Some of the things the graizer/cocky has to deal with are, flood, fire, drought,outside organisations, rising prices of all items needed to grow cattle such as fuel, elec, spare parts, fencing, replacement vehicle's, animal health items, feed/supplements,staff wages, staff food, tyres, accounting, education, staff training and of course OH&S and the list goes on. I think it is still the most dangerous industry to work in but that is only my opinion others will say different. I will give one example of a danger that you have no control over - full gallop on a horse chasing a breakaway mickey and a big goanna gets a fright, I am sure you know the result. Then the first aid, some times medical evacuation, then the reporting, the compo and so on. I could go on for ever but I must do other things but I think we could bring the problem the attention of the consumer if the cost break up was on the package. Most meat comes pre packed these days. I will say more latter.

Must attend to other things, DD

Yep, and i hate to think how little cockys would actually be getting if you broke it down into a hourly wage. I spent a short time working on a sheep farm and it was up before daybreak and generally coming in after dark and no day off if there was work that needed doing, which there always was/is. i dips me hat to the blokes and ladies that work on the land, they do it tough most of the time. But the funny thing is (and i understand it totally) most of them couldn't imagine doing anything else, it's in their blood and they love the land.

Australia.. dust bowl for 10 years and mud bath the next 30 seconds.. I really feel for our farmers..(not many left now).. unpacked my wifes shopping.. 2 slabs of steak.. $9 and $8.. you guys need to sell direct.. plenty of us out there to buy your excellent produce guys.. at least the dollar has changed a bit and it may be possible to sell overseas as well at a nice profit :) ..

No use to any of you mexicans, but this is who i use locally, flat rate of $12.10 a kilo and you have to buy a 1/4 beast but it works for us. Im sure you will find someone local to you almost anywhere in australia with a quick search. Nice knowing that your moneys going straight to the farmer and your meats fresh.

http://www.paddocktoplates.com.au/

Looks like not too much has changed. I worked in the industry for 7 years & the cockies used to get a raw deal then too. The processing companies, the big ones with international contracts, can make money but it's pretty cut throat with lots of regulation & licensing. The processing workers were on ok money but nothing flash & its hard, sometimes smelly & not something everyone could do. Spoke to an old workmate a few years ago & he was on about the same money then as we were bringing home 20 odd years ago in the tally sheds. Not sure but I think tally sheds are all but gone now. We'd knock out up to 2000 head a day trying to keep floor numbers down & the speed of the chain up. The quicker you could do them with the least amount of people meant more money/hour for us & home early. Stop the chain & the abuse flies :lol:
One thing that surprised me back then working in 2 different states was the amount of prime beef that gets sent out of country. In one abattoir I worked at the small town butcher shops had to try & bid against exporters + big retailers if they didn't have their own finished cattle. I feel for them too - I think we had 8 butcher shops before the Coles/Woolies revolution now we have 3 no doubt still struggling to compete even though they have better meat & snags with real meat in them. In one larger centre I worked where we processed the high numbers it went overseas & I was pretty shocked to see NZ whole rumps for sale at the supermarket.
I think the big processors can do alright especially where they own their own pastoral companies/feedlots etc. The government regulators get their fair share of the slice & the big retailers survive by screwing the primary producer & jacking the price on their end - not only with beef! If they can't buy it cheap enough here they import.

its the greatest job on earth :) walk out the door and your at work knock off, walk inside crack a tinny and watch the traffic report of all the city people stuck in traffic :D
Just got to love gambling that's the key , win some lose some , the office has views in every direction ahhhhh how's the serenity .
Worst thing these days is the amount of paper work , need to be half rocket scientist just to keep up.

G'day all, I do not think as a consumer we are paying to much for meat, I do think the graizer/cocky is under paid. It appears that we are paying 600% more than the producer is getting paid. Can this be corrected ? I would like to see the producer paid more but the consumer price stay the same. It is easy to place blame at one sector however while supporting this sector nothing will change also if you dont support this sector where does the producer send cattle as it reduces the market. I am not sure how we could turn this around, price mark up on the packaging would be hard to implement and manage. What are your ideas to fix this problem as we are going down the road of less small graziers/cockys, transport operators, agents,sale yards, meat works, supper markets, we will only have be players soon. In the end it wont just be the producer missing out we will also be paying more for less with not much choice.

Cheers, DD

I recon let the tax man find the scoundrels in their Ferrari lifestyle mansions and screw them big time. :D

Latest posts