WHO IS SELLING THEIR MINELAB DETECTOR?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

G'day, I'm looking to buy a descent second hand Minelab detector. Being new to the dirt fishing game, I'd like to kick off with a used one and see how I go with that before taking the plunge and buying a new one.

Cheers

First may I ask what type of detecting? For example parks/beaches/gold fields? By answering that it will give people a better idea and will be able to offer you the right type of detector for the type of detecting

First cab off the rank, what is your max budget, that will narrow down the choices considerably.

I gather you are after a coin/relic detector going by your past posts. :)

you can practice without a detector.
just pack all your camping gear in the car, fridge, batteries, genny et etc.
spend $500 on supplies, fuel etc.

drive for a few hours then pull the car up, setup the gear.

load up the backpack.

walk for miles and miles, dig holes, get bitten by bull-ants etc, and you will begin to get the feel for prospecting.

if you find you like it buy the detector.

bit of gold generally helps numb the pain ;)

a bit of obsessive compulsive character will also assist :p

good luck ;)

You can practice without a detector.
just pack all your camping gear in the car, fridge, dual battery.
Take some food out of the fridge/freezer at home and fuel up.

No need for a backpack as you have done your research and have camped on a promising area.
Collect firewood, maybe throw some yabby nets into a dam if nearby.

Go for a wander around you campsite and look around, recognizing what you have researched,
maybe do a bit of loaming, maybe dry pan some after digging into a mullock heap.

Enjoy the peace and quiet.

Sit next to a ripper fire enjoying a drop or 2 whilst eating your camp oven roast.

Repeat the next day, or two

Then decide if you would like a machine to walk over that ground and ping a nugget or two.

Good luck.
[no disrespect meant Big Nugget, I look at the positive side always]

Redfin said:
You can practice without a detector.
just pack all your camping gear in the car, fridge, dual battery.
Take some food out of the fridge/freezer at home and fuel up.

No need for a backpack as you have done your research and have camped on a promising area.
Collect firewood, maybe throw some yabby nets into a dam if nearby.

Go for a wander around you campsite and look around, recognizing what you have researched,
maybe do a bit of loaming, maybe dry pan some after digging into a mullock heap.

Enjoy the peace and quiet.

Sit next to a ripper fire enjoying a drop or 2 whilst eating your camp oven roast.

Repeat the next day, or two

Then decide if you would like a machine to walk over that ground and ping a nugget or two.

Good luck.
[no disrespect meant Big Nugget, I look at the positive side always]

no disrespect taken redfin.
Your points are all valid and who doesnt like a good feed and a few beers around a good fire. ;)

It s the trials & tribulations that get most. Whilst we might love it, others soon realise its not for them and the "for sale section", has another one up.
i suppose there is only one way to find out right.

imo the fishing is best when off the beaten track.

cheers ;)

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

My budget is $500 and I'm a coin/relic guy and not into gold etc. I'm looking to detect parks and old habitated sites. I live in Minchinbury in Sydney's western suburbs and have already identified a number of potential sites I'd like to check out. I'm leaning towards a Minelab as I'm told they are better suited to the ozzie conditions (correct me if I'm wrong).

Cheers and good hunting!

Goldpick said:
First cab off the rank, what is your max budget, that will narrow down the choices considerably.

I gather you are after a coin/relic detector going by your past posts. :)

G'day Goldpick,

Yep, I'm a newby but I already know I'm a coin and relic guy. I'm into this for the history, not so much the money. Mind you, I won't be re-burying any goldies I find...

old hand said:
Get the best you can afford there are some good second hand detectors for sale at the moment regards john :)

Thanks John,

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. All advice is gladly welcomed by this old dog.

Cheers

Sa_bogan said:
First may I ask what type of detecting? For example parks/beaches/gold fields? By answering that it will give people a better idea and will be able to offer you the right type of detector for the type of detecting

G'day SA,

I'll be steering clear of beaches as I'm not chasing current coins, gold, jewellery etc. I'm more interested in historical relics and old coins. Any suggestions as to the best detector suited to my style of detecting would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Treasuredown said:
...I'm a coin/relic guy and not into gold etc. I'm looking to detect parks and old habitated sites. I live in Minchinbury in Sydney's western suburbs and have already identified a number of potential sites I'd like to check out. I'm leaning towards a Minelab as I'm told they are better suited to the ozzie conditions (correct me if I'm wrong).

For your purposes, Minelab detectors are not really better suited to the likely conditions than the non-Australian designed brands. Especially given your limited budget, there will be a variety of used Whites, Garrett, Fisher and a few other brands that should suit you equally well.

Hi Tresuredown.
I have been detecting around the area where you live for few years. I detect mostly for current coins. The parks and sports ovals are littered with lot of metal junk and soil is in most of places only 2 to 4 inches deep. Unless you have access to some old buildings, there is not many pre decimal coins to be found. Most of area around here was farms not so long ago. I use Minelab X-Terra 705 and to me it is very good detector for conditions around here.
Karl

MrCornford said:
Hi mate, I've just put my X-Terra 705 up for sale on eBay.

http://r.ebay.com/Dlyh9f

Cheers for the heads up buddy!

I just found the new price ($850) at the Miners Den. I see you're asking $750 for yours on eBay. No disrespect to you intended, if I was going to spend that much I'd rather pay the extra $100 and get it brand new along with the RPG headphones they're currently offering.

But thanks a bunch anyways and good hunting!

KarlS said:
Hi Tresuredown.
I have been detecting around the area where you live for few years. I detect mostly for current coins. The parks and sports ovals are littered with lot of metal junk and soil is in most of places only 2 to 4 inches deep. Unless you have access to some old buildings, there is not many pre decimal coins to be found. Most of area around here was farms not so long ago. I use Minelab X-Terra 705 and to me it is very good detector for conditions around here.
Karl

Thanks Karl!

Then it's a X-Terra 705 I'm looking for. Coming from a local to my area, this kind of info is invaluable as it relates directly to my surroundings and needs. Thanks buddy!

Latest posts