Which direction around Australia?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmeroz

Aaron
Reaction score
Late one night shift a mate and I were trying to work out which direction you should travel if you were going to do a trip around Australia.

E.g if you travel clockwise around and us driving on the left hand side of the road, how much further would it be compared to counter clockwise ? (Taking the inside line)

would you save more petrol one way more than the other ? how many k's difference ?

I guess the diameter of the trip would be about 4-5 meters bigger (on a large size around australia) the circumfrence would change a fair bit wouldn't it ?
Then it depends on how much of the trip is dual carriage way with a greater distance between the centers of the two roads....

I too have had many late shift chats like this one, There are so many factors that have to be taken into account, Seasonal changes, headwinds, tailwinds, Road camber, Uphills, downhill sections. So to get and more accurate reading you would have to drive 2 identical cars in the right and wrong lane the same way both directions, to make sure you where taking all environmental factors into accounts. Also you would have to travel the same speed as the faster one travels the slower time goes by and that would add at least a few Nano seconds onto the trip haha.

Anti clockwise because we drive on the left & the inside of a 2 lane road has to be shorter

omg you guys have way too much spare time to wonder about such things ....lol Cheers Debra

Farmer oz

The distance is quoted as you point out but is it clockwise or anti clockwise which is the gist of the question

Hey man, you's must be on some good drugs :D. I'm a "QUEENSLANDER" and yes I own 2 landrovers and proud of it. I mention this with the hope that it'll give you's some insight into my thinking or lack of it. To travel oz, I'm not worried about distance, the time of year would dictate which way I would go. If coming into winter I'd head north which would be going anti clock wise and if it was late winter- spring I'd head south which would be of course heading clock wise. As for distance, that doesn't worry me, I'd find more then enough gold, sapphires, opal, ect to cover the cost of my cheap life style :D
:) (mad) mick

Hey Mick,

Another Landrover Man....I have had 29 of these over my driving career and still have a few lying around in various stages of disrepair.......I will get around to them on day

Recently there have been a few of the 6 X 6 military Landrovers on flebay that really did look like the ducks nuts for outback travel but I didn't have a spare $34,000 to spend at the time

regards

Allan

Latest posts