When & where not to travel?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guru Members,

As a newbie to the WA land hoping advice can be given on when and when not to travel in the different parts of the State.

The general rule of thumb is Springtime is best, but I have no idea if this applies to all of the Sate or just parts.

So when is it best for the NW, Central & SW etc.

Pretty basic to most of you but I need to be educated by those who know.

I may have sorted my comms out but not wanting to use the emergency channel through my stupidity for not asking.

regards

John

Just about any where in Australia in Summer is a no go.
Especially out your way.

Unless you are really well setup beyond what you could call better than
normal, It is not worth the risk.

Over here in the East, Temps can hit well over 35 early in the morning. :party: :fire:

Personally, It is just not worth the risk for so little gain.

I myself now shut down on any huge expeditions until at least March
as one stuff up could cost me very dearly.

Current temps in The Pilbara

1572082664_eb11fb14-c905-45f5-958e-52c8c7b16d2d.jpg

That's quite mild considering it can rise into the 50's! Hottest I've ever worked in is 52C, 4 of us on site each downing 6 litres of water per person per day including electrolytes and our bodies still cramped up and we never has a leak all day!... it's dangerous, damn dangerous and I couldn't do it now!! 40s I'm fine with but you've got to be well prepared with the right stuff, if you're a city slicker, don't do it!!

Dihusky said:
That's quite mild considering it can rise into the 50's! Hottest I've ever worked in is 52C, 4 of us on site each downing 6 litres of water per person per day including electrolytes and our bodies still cramped up and we never has a leak all day!... it's dangerous, damn dangerous and I couldn't do it now!! 40s I'm fine with but you've got to be well prepared with the right stuff, if you're a city slicker, don't do it!!

Yeah that temp is the worst :N: you can have it. Surprised you only say 6lts plus electrolytes a day. I swung a 10lb sledge hammer for 10 hours a day for a 10 day shift. In summer and winter and I'll guarantee I would drink a minimum of 10 litres plus electrolytes in summer in Vic. Not as hot as the Pilbara temps and another guarantee is I wouldn't want to work in those temps unless I was paid handsomely.

Be careful in high temps where huge amount of water are needed. If you drink more than 13liters of water per day you will most likely I die . The water dilutes the salt from your body so detecting in 40+ odd degrees is not fun. (For most of us) I guess you have to understand where your comfort level of heat sits. Me I won't detect in temps over 30 unless in tree protected shade cover. Not my idea fun digging holes in high temps. (Rather go to the beach!)

Also your car needs to be up to scratch too!

RM Outback said:
Dihusky said:

Yeah that temp is the worst :N: you can have it. Surprised you only say 6lts plus electrolytes a day. I swung a 10lb sledge hammer for 10 hours a day for a 10 day shift. In summer and winter and I'll guarantee I would drink a minimum of 10 litres plus electrolytes in summer in Vic. Not as hot as the Pilbara temps and another guarantee is I wouldn't want to work in those temps unless I was paid handsomely.

I don't think people understand electolytes and how critical they are in keeping the body balanced, without them you drink more because the body is out of balance, with electrolytes you maintain a balance (provided they are not too strong) and one actually drinks less, but hydration is better.

The other important items are a hat you can saturate plus a Shemagh. Big difference to comfort in heat.

Yes the temps are mild as it is early Spring when Summer gets here temps can reach 56
I drink about 10 or 12 litres of water a day
Basic rule up this way is If you are drinking water and not pissen you are not drinking enough water

I spend a bit of time wandering around the tanami in January/February most years. Its a great time to fossick because all the softies are in there southern citys not finding gold ;)

Just need to know how to operate in those conditions and like all remote work never do anything that is slightly risky

Latest posts