What's this coin?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushpig

Jed
Reaction score
1395451815_image.jpg

A nice old lady ask me to id this for her I'm not much of a coin hunter though I do find it interesting. Also does anyone know its rough value?

Gold Sovereign, My mother has one Minted during Queen Victorias reign. But they were also minted during King George V reign. That one is Queen Victoria

I've been told by some other site members it's a full sovereign worth about 500 bucks

Yeah sorry for the late reply an old local lady asked me to identify it for her thanks Casper. She had it handed down to her by her great grand mother and now she is looking to sell it. I didnt want her to get ripped off so was interested to see what it was valued at. She has since told me she has alot more old coins she would like me to see so I'll show you all soon. cheers

From looking at the photos 1890 Jubilee head bit hard to see the mint mark but it's a short tail wouldn't matter about the other details from the photos it only bullion quality worth gold value of 22crt gold.
Composition of 91.67% gold and 8.33% copper these coins are very common and don't fetch much. What have to be UNC or better. May be the other dates are in better condition. A clearer photo would help.
cheers deepblue Most dealers would only give you about $350 - $360 for the coin.

Thanks for your help all much appreciated. That's what I like about this forum everyone's always willing to help.

Just be aware there are dates that are worth more than bullion value. If she has a lot, it would pay to get a reference book for about $40 although most information is available through the web.

Save the $40.00 dollars and post the coins here I'm sure that you will get the information that you are looking for from the people that visit this forum.
If you can list the dates and a good photo of each coin a better valuation can be given.
cheers deepblue

There are only 2 mints that struck these sovereigns, Sydney and Melbourne. It looks to be in perfect condition but I would doubt it, at best probably aUNC, (About Uncirculated). Can't really tell from the photos.

aUnc = $525 for both S and M mints. Will have some wear on the coin.

Unc = $950 (Sydney) $925 (Melb). There will be no wear but will be some scratches on the coin.

ChUnc (Choice Uncirculated) = $2100 (S) $2200 (M) It would have to be in perfect condition with absolutely no scratches.

Gem = $4400 (S) $4500 (M) It would have to be in perfect condition with absolutely no scratches and have a very bright lustre to it, definitely not a dull coin.

Proof = $145,000.00 Only minted in Melbourne so will have an M under the head of Queen Victoria. This would have to be verified by a qualified numismatist like Downies or Spinks.

Just to clarify my previous post, all of the sovereigns will have the mint mark under the head of Queen Victoria, either S or M, not just the proof coin.

The proof coin should have a very bright lustre to it but may not be the case, it might look just like a ChUnc coin as well or even an Unc coin if it has been handled regularly. The modern proof coins are easy to discern from normal circulated and even uncirculated coins but the older proof coins, especially pre 1900s ones may look just like a normal coin.

If the sovereign has been sitting in a case and never handled then it will be easier to identify if it is a proof coin or not.

Jubilee Head Sovereigns have the mint mark between the feet of the Horse and Dragon either a M or S for Melbourne, Sydney but if the is no mint mark then it's a London mint ie: Great Britain sovereign. not under the head of Queen Victoria

Latest posts