What's in a name? Diggings names that may hold the key

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gold research will throw up a lot of names of diggings. For example, in James Flett's 'The History of Gold Discovery in Victoria' the names place index has 23 pages alone cross-referencing locations. Some of the sites can give an explanation of what was there. Some are historical names given for events that occurred during the gold rushes - famous battles, people. Balaclava, Imperial etc.
Some are named after who found the sites. Some are named after the wild-life that was sighted in the area. Some are a play on words - 'Lucknow' as we are in luck now. But some give a clue to the type of gold that was found there. Examples worth noting are: These can be gullies, reefs, flats etc.

Nuggetty (numerous) - self explanatory.
Tucker. Research may show it was found by a 'Tucker' but it can also mean that the gold was small or patchy and just enough was found to buy 'tucker'.
Poverty - this can mean what it says but in the case of Tarnagulla's (Vic) Poverty Reef, it was named after Poverty Bay in NZ, and was very rich.
Specimen - speci gold in matrix was common - quartz, ironstone etc.
Hard Hills - hard digging as the old timers were usually breaking through conglomerate.
Ironstone - gold in ironstone.
Chinamans - Chinese were in the area.
Schicer - translates as German for shxt.
Fly Speck - small gold.
Wet (usually lead) - self explanatory.
Deep (usually lead) - self explanatory.

There are some examples of single leads with meaning - Slip Up Lead is an example - in this case the lead was lost as it had done a sharpish turn.

There are numerous other examples but the point is, when researching look carefully at the name - it may hold a meaning that could decide if its worth a crack. Nuggetty anything is always a good start for learning. Why? Yes, they have generally been well detected but it will give a good intro on what the ground was like. If your research says it was shallow and nuggetty chances are there is still small pockets left behind. An example is Nuggetty Gully near Tarnagulla Vic - it amazes me what is still coming off and around this gully - there is also a lot of rubbish - but that's the breaks. Good luck.

Great info mate.
In saying that Terrible lead just south of Ballarat turned out to
be one of the better ones.
Might have been named that to keep the hordes away :)

Chuckle. And what's with 'Old Woman's Lead'? How come there is never a "Hot Chicks Here Lead" ? Not to mention the gully named after my ex Mother-in-law - "Battleaxe Gully"

A few of the funnier named local ones:
Gigantic Struggle - sounds pretty hard going.
Fighting Gully - fighting for the gold or fighting each other?
Dog & Cat - see above?
Brown Snake - might give it a miss come summer. :lol:
Hit or Miss - aren't most?

I found one named after my ex mother in-law
Dragon gully
As she was the biggest dragon lady of them all
Even my kids call he dragon lady.

G'Day

there are lots of them for sure. What about all the sailors gullys - named after a gully full of sailors that jumped ship to go to the gold fields. "Who is in that gully mate?" - "just a bunch of sailors just up from Melbourne". Apparently hundreds of ships were stuck in Melbourne for want of sailors to man them. At one stage the ship's owners were offering better that what the blokes could get in Ballarat just to man the ships back to England. A whole lot dead horse, dead dog and dead cat gullies which are pretty self explanatory. Brandy and whiskey gullies also.

One story I like was the story about Growlers Gully near Bright in Victoria. Apparently there was this old prospector up this gully and when anyone asked how he was doing he always growled and said "gettin noffingk". Apparently he also always paid his bills and was there for over five years, so it could not have all that bad.

Araluen

crystal brook in Melbourne is a good place to look for gold nuggets plus you will find agate and other gems their too guys hope that helps

I know that there is a mine at Nerrigundah that was called the After Dark Mine. Allegedly it was called this because the miners use to go and steal gold from other mines during the night. Fact or Fiction, who knows but an amusing tail.

SWright said:
G'Day

there are lots of them for sure. What about all the sailors gullys - named after a gully full of sailors that jumped ship to go to the gold fields. "Who is in that gully mate?" - "just a bunch of sailors just up from Melbourne". Apparently hundreds of ships were stuck in Melbourne for want of sailors to man them. At one stage the ship's owners were offering better that what the blokes could get in Ballarat just to man the ships back to England. A whole lot dead horse, dead dog and dead cat gullies which are pretty self explanatory. Brandy and whiskey gullies also.

One story I like was the story about Growlers Gully near Bright in Victoria. Apparently there was this old prospector up this gully and when anyone asked how he was doing he always growled and said "gettin noffingk". Apparently he also always paid his bills and was there for over five years, so it could not have all that bad.

Araluen

that bloke got around 'cos there's a Growler's Gully near Merton and another in the Strathbogie Ranges :D

casper

Has anyone mentioned the name petticoat., such as pettycoat flat . It was said some areas were named this because there was a lot of surface gold which miners wifes found it easy digging and would flock to these spots to help earn a quid. Perfect metal detecting areas if noticed on any old maps .

loamer said:
Some are a play on words - 'Lucknow' as we are in luck now

Lucknow in India was the location of an at the time famous seige and battle between British Empire forces and Indians (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Lucknow). Miners' use of the name is likely to have referenced this event, just as other epic military feats (eg. Sebastopol [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Sevastopol_(1854–55)] and Balaclava [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Balaclava]) were similarly commemorated in the names of diggings and streets in the towns that sprang up on the goldfields.

Lucknow - seige or play on words - we shall never know.

James Flett - Dunolly - Story of an old gold diggings.

page 147. Lucknow Rush was a small, rather rich rush, and many went from Dunolly. Peter Grant and his partner were the prospectors. The coach used to pass the rush, it was said, and in answer to the question as to how the diggers were getting on they used to shout out, 'We're in luck now."

I know of a few mine names 1 happy land co. maybe because they found gold on the land ? 2 go hard go lucky maybe because they wore so excited they went hard at it digging up the ground ? 3 the bastard mine maybe because it was hard to work ? 4 old mans hope mine maybe there was a old man working the mine at the time and hoping to find gold ? 5 captains reef maybe because a sea captain found it ? 6 after math mine maybe because it was mined some time after the gold rush ? 7 spring chicken mine maybe because they saw a chicken in spring while they wore mining it so they named it that ? 8 Sheppard's mine maybe a Sheppard found the reef ? red rover maybe named after there dog rover ? hopeful mine maybe because they wore hoping to find something

anyway there's just a few that I know of

How's this for one - The Cat and Dog lead in the Central West NSW :D
I know that the old timers found a lot of gold there but how it got its name???

hows this for coastal gold ....miners beach near port maquarie ..diggers beach near coffs harbour ..also diggers point and a diggers headland then theres new zealand beach and chinamans beach further up evans head ballina way and more i could mention

i rememeber being at maroondah city council office on mine road in melbourne suburbs ...you guessed it built on top of an old gold mine ....name are history

Latest posts