What To Look For On The Goldfields (New To Prospecting)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VALLEYBOY said:
Nothing to hide m8 im new at detecting just wanted a few ideas i have a couple of photos of property i have got onto, and just wanted to get his opinion on where he thinks would be the best spot to start etc. i dont no how to upload photos etc

For uploading photo's please see the following topic https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5495, just note that you won't be able to link to externally hosted images (photobucket etc) until you've reached 10 posts.

Cheers,
Nugget

Hey guys i been having a go in the snake valley area up around the old quarry. No luck yet just heap of old bullets and nails, theres mineshafts everywhere just cant seem to find any nuggets yet :( :( Is it mainly small alluvial gold found around these areas? And also i got onto mates property up near skipton it backs on to old woady creek there is like erosion all up the hills it looks like a creek has opened up in the ground on the hill mall the way down tom it runs into the creek, Is this the sort of area would be good to detect through? I no his uncle gets alot of small stuff out of creek panning, Just wanted to no wether it worth while detecting or panning? Any info would be greatly appreciated cheers!!!

VALLEYBOY said:
Hey guys i been having a go in the snake valley area up around the old quarry. No luck yet just heap of old bullets and nails, theres mineshafts everywhere just cant seem to find any nuggets yet :( :( Is it mainly small alluvial gold found around these areas? And also i got onto mates property up near skipton it backs on to old woady creek there is like erosion all up the hills it looks like a creek has opened up in the ground on the hill mall the way down tom it runs into the creek, Is this the sort of area would be good to detect through? I no his uncle gets alot of small stuff out of creek panning, Just wanted to no wether it worth while detecting or panning? Any info would be greatly appreciated cheers!!!

Some good gold has been found around snake valley in the past. I was detecting there a few weeks ago and got a few tiddlers. Where abouts is the old quarry?
Might be better of starting a separate thread, more chance of getting a response that way and get your posts up. I only seen it here by chance.

DD

Hey Diggerdude umm of Kellys rd the old quarry is we used to ride our motorbikes there as kids. Do u detect around that area? ive got the bug now i think :p So im reading an gathering as much info as possible so i have an idea of what im doing out there i suppose its like anything u are new at it takes time to perfect.

The earliest deep lead shafts sunk by the miners were circular or oval in shape. When bedrock was reached the washdirt was removed from the bottom of the shaft and from immediately around it. As the depth of the operations increased, the occurrence of drifts (drifts being very wet sandy or loose friable material) necessitated square or rectangular shafts timbered on the sides. Miners also began to tunnel out from the bottoms of their shafts, to follow the streambeds. The drives also had to be timbered. At first saplings were used, but they were later succeeded by split timber laths. Methods of timbering were altered to meet different contingencies. 6 Harrie Wood's Notes on the Ballarat Goldfield' in The Goldfields and Mineral Districts of Victoria describe how the miners sealed off drifts encountered when sinking shafts, using puddle clay rammed between a double set of timber slabs.

crazyk said:
Great bit of info Dean. Those shafts almost look bored!

Yes I was wondering that because they look so neat. These are taken at Slaty Creek Creswick.

Was about to say this looks like creswick. Amazing how they are so perfectly round. Have dug quite a few pits throught the cemented quartz its bloody hard stuff. Suppose it didnt look like that originally and has been worn by water for the last 150 years :)

hi i will say i have been reading all the post and like to say a big thanks for all the help.and will keep reading. :D

Excellent information in this thread for a newbie, thanks for taking the time to post.

Magilla said:
Excellent information in this thread for a newbie, thanks for taking the time to post.

The workings around Mount Doran date back to 1858 and were most active throughout the 1860s. Photos of disused mine about 1.5km south of Bungal Dam and the crumbling remains of a chimney, whose original purpose I have not be able to determine, but which I assume belonged to an early settler.

hi loamer great info but i have a question 1 if your finding gold on old diggings on a rige line over an square area of about 400meters wide by about 100merers long that only went to bed rock and theres loads of quartz and iron stone quartz and slate and shale and its about 2kms away from a major outcrop of grante and the bedrock is only 1 to 2ft thick in some places and your finding gold about half way up this rige line then all of a sudden the possitive gold loaming samples stops only half way up this hill and then you decide to dig a trench to the bed rock and about 10 or so meters long as a l shape on the hill how come the souce it isant in the trench ? that ive doug ive found heaps of quartz reefs crossing my trench but none wore gold bareing i think the source is a ironstone reef but im yet to find it there is a nice anticline fold up the top of the hill about 250m way from where im finding rough gold nuggets below with shear zones and quartz minerised cracks in the fold but ive again sampled this fold but only the hump or top of the fold and have found yet again not gold but i havent sampled the limbs of the fold yet but allso i dont think rough gold would be rough if it traveled 250meters down a hill

really need help on his one lol ive spent at least 4 to 6 weeks trying to find it and can't seem to find the reef ill send you pics by message on facebook when i get out there next if that helps

Hey HTY, where's ya full stops mate? I'm running out of breath just from reading it :lol:

P.S. I'm only messing with you.

yeah i know i get excited and dont put any in lol. is this better. :) ill add a few more to make up for the ones above. ... .... ..... .... .... .... .... . .. . . . . . . . .. . . . . . .. .

there ya go. lol. :p :lol: :p

Yeah that's alright but you might have left one or two out, no biggy lol :p

Latest posts