What to build out of a washing machine DIY Lap

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivarat

Brad Grant
Reaction score
Insipired by Atomrat's washing machine lap.
I've had a old washing machine in the yard for some time, waiting for me to pull out the motor after looking at it for awhile I had a light bulb moment (my wife has doubts) DIY lap big plastic bowl with a shaft in the bottom motor and gearbox and a builtin drain.
Just wanting to polish a few slabs and maybe some cabs.
The plywood disc is 13" dia. don't think that I want to go any bigger maybe about 12" still gives plenty of room around it and the plastic bowl but could fit up to about 17". The output from the gearbox is about 120rpm might be a bit slow but I figure a bit slow is better than too fast.

Still a long way from being finished
Jobs to do
make a frame and mount.
wiring and switch.
plumbing
weld the shaft as the washing machine gearbox has a clutch, a inner shaft rotates but a lap which would be attached to an out shaft could be stalled with a little pressure
Make a master lap, probably make a few wood prototypes on the wood lathe before I get the father in law to machine one.
Cut down the outer plastic bowl not sure of the final height yet and fit some edging to the top.

1441006881_photo0208.jpg

1441006881_photo0209.jpg

Well ill be buggered! Cheers mate and ill be closely watching the progress!

Though i was talking of using the vibrations rather than the whole machine..I like you tweak a lot ;)

All I can say so far is keep safety in consideration as I'm sure you already have. Very happy to know my ideas are thought of and put to a used:)

Yes the wiring and keeping it out of the way of any water is the biggest area of concern. As can be seen from the photos its only was set up to test the motor speed. I know all too well not to get carried away and not to think about the safety. I almost lost a finger to a table saw doing something I told my wife I wasn't going to do not 5 minutes earlier, I'll never live that one down.

Latest posts