What do you do with your finds?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRW

Reaction score
I'd love to know what everybody does with their finds afterwards. As I don't have a detector yet, all of my finds have been sighted by eye & picked up from the grounds surface around my 1800s ruin. I have several containers of bits & pieces that are just sitting in a cupboard. Most of the items have no $ value but are a treasure to me. Each little find has it's own story to tell and I'd love to display my favourite pieces somehow.
What do you do with 'your' buckles, buttons, badges, coins, cars, or other finds?

1476432644_pennyring_001.jpg

1476432644_pennyring_002.jpg

1476432644_pennyring_003.jpg

These were mower specimens, I've got something I'm almost finished now
Coins that are toasted
But not silver
My GF's new key ring :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great idea B5MECH. :) I've seen some silver coins turned into rings too, not sure if this can be done with pennies?

I turn my silver coins into cash by melting them down and taking them to the scrapper - also the gold rings end up there too

A bit of extra pocket money is always good :)
I've not been lucky enough to come come across gold yet...I'll cross my fingers, you never know.
Can I ask what the scrap value of your average 9k or 18k gold band would be?

CRW said:
A bit of extra pocket money is always good :)
I've not been lucky enough to come come across gold yet...I'll cross my fingers, you never know.
Can I ask what the scrap value of your average 9k or 18k gold band would be?

All comes down to the carat and the weight of the ring and the price of gold at the time.

At the time 9K was $16 a gram and 18K was $35 a gram but gold price is higher now.

I think we cashed in approx. 30 rings for $2500 - son bought a new fangled fridge and I bought more detectors :)

Maltisau said:
I keep every piece of junk, gold, whatever. The memories that each item evoke are priceless. No gold as yet with the SDC but the cutthroat razor and victorian era button I recently found are absolute gems IMO.

Yup I can understand that but photos also can keep the memory too - otherwise you turn into Sheldon on Big Bang who kept every item in his life and had to rent a storage shed to keep it all in (if you've seen that episode) ... Worn silver coins and bent up gold rings aren't worth anything more than scrap so I am recycling ... Into cash to buy more detecting stuff or whatever I wish ... Sort of like a lotto win that I had to walk a few marathons to win! :)

Paulmarr, I'm just a rank newbie and a bit of a Luddite but I'll get the hang of this internets thingo eventually and share my joy on the forum. My wife is already grumbling about my quartz collection :)

Weird. I thought Sheldon had an eidetic memory that would negate the need for hoarding items. I haven't seen the episode as I don't watch TV. Haven't done so for years...I get the gist of it from general convos with normal people ;)

Why would I watch TV when there's gold and relics to be found and hours of cleaning finds during nocturnal hours?

Latest posts