What are your Big 5 Coin targets in Oz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread on the big 5 coin targets , what members big 5 coin targets are and have you found any or planned trips to look for them.

. As I understand in OZ the big 5 coin shooting targets are as follows ( correct me if needed)

1. NSW Dump
2. Adelaide pound
3. 1930 Penny
4. 1925 Half penny
5. Gold sov - full/half

my big 5 targets are are little less ambitious, thripence , sixpence , shilling , Florin , gothic Florin .

What are your big five and what are the stories attached to those coins found .

Kind regards

Dan

Mine are 1c & 2c followed by 1d & 1/2d they've shown up most of the time over the yesrs then anything silver lol :p

Oldie-Goldie said:
Anybody had much luck finding Chinese coins?

Heaps of them are found because Chinese miners were prevalent on the gold fields

I picked one up a couple of months ago in Parramatta and found one sitting on the ground in the Buckland valley many years ago

Also, dont forget to keep your eyes peeled for the elusive Australian coin-slot
1593596728_1aaa2b7c-9856-4ad2-9c5e-99cde74bca0d.jpg

Wally69 said:
Also, dont forget to keep your eyes peeled for the elusive Australian coin-slot
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...6728_1aaa2b7c-9856-4ad2-9c5e-99cde74bca0d.jpg

Hahaha. Hmmm I was retrieving a target one day and someone drove past and yelled out "nice crack", I was shocked.... :argh:

Then it happened again at that spot where we were finding the old military bits and pieces, 2 ladies rode past on their pushbikes and one said "wow what a view of the moon", heard them both giggling off into the distance. I'm quite aware and self conscious now and do my belt up one notch more..... :cool:

Found one!! Unfortunately this one I've found been subject to bronze disease. The other side is just a scabby mess, most copper and bronze coins here in this part of the uk suffer from this. I believe its possible due to the fertiliser used on the fields that have a corrosive effect on them.

1593718415_img_20200702_203148.jpg

Latest posts