what am I getting in my pan

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeshybear_x

Alicia
Reaction score
Panning in river stream out near gordonvale in rainforest. I keep getting 1-2ml black hexagonal stones that are perfectly shape like two pyramids put together threw black sand and cant crush them. Tinge of silver threw them aswell. Any idea of what they are?
Cheers Alicia. Im new to this fossicking but I am totally addicted. :)

Thanks for reply. Umm similar colour, but there so tiny and more of a black colour. Haven't found any gold yet its all fools gold. Fools me everytime.

In due time you will become an expert just keep going!. Take pics so its easier for forum members to help. Someone will know!

Hopefully ! Okay thanks for your help. Il keep trying got to find something eventually. Where im panning its a running creek. Should I focus on the banks or the actual creek itself? Bedrock is only one foot deep. Any tips for me

If its magnetic then you could have manganese (iron)
Could also be black spinal

leeshybear_x said:
Hopefully ! Okay thanks for your help. Il keep trying got to find something eventually. Where im panning its a running creek. Should I focus on the banks or the actual creek itself? Bedrock is only one foot deep. Any tips for me
If bedrock is shallow try and find some cracking in the bedrock, or where it crops up, creating a natural riffle

A few of us where out that way yesterday
We tried a few places but lucked out on the gold
We have a coffee meet once a month at the fnq miners den
Then go for a dig after that
Keep an eye out for cairns coffee morning meet

Hi there Alicia, sounds like Magnetite. Are you sure they are Hexagonal? When you said 2 Pyramids together (Octagonal) Magnetite was the first thing that came to mind. Magnetite is in the Spinel class of minerals and is extremely hard. It's also an indicator that other gemstones could be nearby. If they are attracted to a magnet it is most likely Magnetite.

Could also be Cassiterite, but that's a lot softer and not magnetic, I think from memory.

Welcome aboard, great hobby to get into.

Hi
I went out that way today and managed to get 10 colours from a hole in a rock a few small green gems and a few red ones. I am not sure what the gems are but it was a fun day. It was only my second day out so if I can find some gold anyone can.

Pappy

Hi Alicia,
sounds like magnetite, it sometimes forms little crystals and occasionally big double terminated crystals like this..
1408938552_images.jpeg

Im not surprised that these are turning up around gordonvale, the pyramid is the extinct core of a volcano so over time and weathering these crystals will fall or get shaken from the surrounding rock and make their way to the rivers.
Good luck with the fossicking adventures!

Yep looking at that pic Im pretty sure that's them. Thanks for your help, so do you know much about the volcanic erosion that happened years ago. Was reading a little bit about it. You would think there would be plenty of minerals around the creeks surrounding the pyramid. Haven't found any yet, keep trying tho. Thanks

Welcome to the forum Alicia. :D

Focus on the creek itself. Look for bends in the creek, the inner bend is your best bet for gold. The gold will occur in pockets in the creek along a pay streak. To find the pay streak if the creek is running try throwing a stick into the creek and watch where the water takes it. You will find it will move to the centre and then be carried to one of the banks. It will then move back to the centre and onto another bank. Wherever it lands on the banks take a sample pan.

Also look for rocks that sit up in the creek and take a sample from behind it where the water flows past it. There will be a small eddy current just behind the rock and that allows the gold to drop down to the bottom.

Where you have a fast flow of water look just beyond it to where the water starts to slow down. You will see small eddy currents. Again the gold will drop down to the bottom where these exist.

Like Kane said look for bedrock that is going across the width of the creek, these act like the riffles in a sluice box and trap the gold. Where you find bedrock like this look for crevices in the bedrock and clean these crevices out. The gold will drop to the bottom of the crevice so you really need to clean these out thoroughly. The best thing about these is they will fill back up again quickly hopefully trapping new flood gold as it comes down the creek for you to gather up at a later date. Always go back to a good crevice and check it every few months.

Look for quartz the rustier looking the better. Look for rocks that have quartz veins in them. Look for blue clay layers, the clay will trap the gold. Look for black sand, its heavier material than normal sand and often a magnet will pick it up. These are all good indicators you are in the right area for gold.

The fact you are getting the little magnetite crystals shows your panning technique isn't too bad already but try practicing with some lead shot or small lead sinkers in your pan as they are a good substitute for gold to practice on. If you can keep the led shot in your pan than you will be able to keep gold in your pan when you get it.

Look up a process known as Loaming on the forum search and on google. It is basically a sampling technique designed to find the pockets of gold and hopefully the reef where the gold is shedding off.

Like Kane said you are welcome to join us at the coffee catchup and go for a dig afterwards.

Also go and have a chat to George at the NQ Miners Den in Anderson Street. He's got a tonne of experience finding gold and is a wealth of information.

Anyway hope this helps and best of luck with it. :D

There is plenty of minerals to be found, mostly the formations of the pyramid and surrounding mountains are made of granites with areas of basalt. Most common in the mulgrave are quartz of all colours, pyrite, red jasper, mica, magnetite and feldspar. Occasionally you will get other minerals and metals turning up like gold, lead and tin.

The cairns region was actually the sea floor a few hundred million years ago until a continental shift caused the coast to be forced upward to create the tablelands of today and small ridges and islands rose with the crust to form the bellenden ker range and surrounds.
Over time the rivers that once flowed from the tablelands to the sea have poured over the edge of the range and worn their way through the now exposed rocks from deep in the earths crust. Water will always take the path of least
resistance and carrys with it tiny bits of whatever type of rock it has come through.

Gcause has listed the best ways to search for gold if thats what your after, minerals and gems are usually lighter and require less skill but just as much time to find, panning will find the heaviest of minerals hence the reason why you have been picking up magnetite as it is mostly iron. To find lighter minerals and gems like quartz or jasper a good set of sieves is the tool and patience plus alot of shovelling.
That you are finding crystals of magnetite is a good sign the rocks around there cooled slowly from their molten state and had time to crystallise so its a good place to start.
Get familiar with the gravel you find and try to identify as many minerals from it as possible, google can be great for that. Then look at what minerals are commonly found together.
Once you know what your searcuing for you can sieve your gravel down to different sizes making it easier to see what youve found, searching in a river is twice as easy as your gravels are pre washed. Digging for minerals and gems inland requires finding or taking water to wash the soil away from your finds.

Hope this gives you a bit more of an idea what and where to look.
Cheers TGW

Hi leeshybear_x

Im a just arrived FNQ'er

Great info from gcause and The Green Wanderer

Sure sounds like magnetite, that means you are searching in the right spots, magnetite is heavy so if your getting that in the stream means you are in the area that gold should accumulate as well. also shot gun pellets are a good sign means your getting to the lowest parts of the stream.

when trying to get stream gold, inside bends are good and truly gold can be anywhere, but the good gold is always in the lowest spot in river, ie where the heaviest items would accumulate

when i used to dredge, magnetite was always with the gold as well as rabbit shot

99% sure that these lil crystals that I'm finding in my pan are magnetite from the look of the pics. Thankyou for sharing your info and helping me out. I went for a pan this arv, ended up with no gold. But a lot of black sand and them crystals again. Think im getting closer and closer, :)

If you are only getting black sands.
Try heading upstream a bit.
A lot of the time creek gold won't travle a great distance, compared to the rivers that can carry the gold a long distance.
Also are you getting down to bedrock?
If you are hitting bedrock try finding those cracks and clean them out, you may need a paint brush and screw driver to get right into them to clean them out properly

I'm sure it won't take you long to find some gold.
Let us know when you do.
Good luck with your prospecting.
Cheers Kane

Hi Leeshybear

I am interested to hear the ending of this fossiking journey. Did you ever manage to find any specs? Did you ever make a meeting and meet this great helpers?

M

Latest posts