Well darn it and who knew

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From memory it's 100k when towing a trailer in the west, there's a huge sign at the border.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Wishfull said:
80 kph towing a trailer isn't it over there ?

It use to be that in QLD I think ? Truck drivers use to hate it and try and force you to go faster, that just made me stick to the rules even more,

But despite what anyone says there is no need to be doing over 100ks when towing, personally I think 80ks is a safer option specially when towing a car trailer with something like a tractor on it, I see someone towing a car trailer with a VW combi camper on it and they were towing it with a Subaru wagon which is highly illegal because the empty trailer would have been close to what the Scooby could legally Tow and to put a combi on it was asking for trouble,

One thing to be aware of is that 99% of trailer hire places whether it's a horsebox or a car trailer "NEVER" have the breaks set up right, I normally have them set so they just start to work on the over run as you take ya boot off the Gas so you can just feel them pulling back a touch on the hitch But Only Just. and have all 4 wheels/breaks set equal, :Y:

I learnt the hard way I guess. Mad tuna it's good to hear from you. Sounds like you are one lucky man. Also I'm loving out here in your neck of the woods. I should get to my destination tomorrow then it's of the grid for a week or so.

i was on the cunningham hwy a few years ago never forget it i was between warwick and gundy and i was speeding but only just a bit ( few ks over )and a woman driver in a bmw car went past me and i mean flew past me and she was towing a double horse float with 2 horses in it , within a couple of ks she was out of sight . i rekon she was doing easy better than 130 and the trailer would of been twice as heavy as the car.
johno

It's a bit hard to judge all the same. Some vehicles are a lot better at towing than others and some trailers tow a lot better than others. The load balance can have a huge effect on how any trailer follows and then so much comes down to the driver's ability and experience. Some of us have had a trailer hanging off the back since we were kids and others haven't hooked up until beyond retirement age.

Lower speeds are surely safer regardless of the vehicle you're in but I don't think a good towing setup needs to be speed restricted as much as heavily loaded vehicles. There are plenty of tall narrow 4WD vehicles out there speeding up the highway with top heavy loads that I see as a much higher risk.

Yes it's a maximum 100 km/h with a trailer. We travel in a vehicle with a tare weight of 4700 kg an 6000 kg GVM and tow a trailer that comes in at <500 kg loaded yet we have the same restrictions as a small 4WD towing 4500 kg's.

texta said:
i was on the cunningham hwy a few years ago never forget it i was between warwick and gundy and i was speeding but only just a bit ( few ks over )and a woman driver in a bmw car went past me and i mean flew past me and she was towing a double horse float with 2 horses in it , within a couple of ks she was out of sight . i rekon she was doing easy better than 130 and the trailer would of been twice as heavy as the car.
johno

A mate of mine used to tow his double horse float with a genuine Ford GTHO, he often sat on 100mph (160kph). I suppose it gave the horses something to talk about.

I always find that 90 to 95 is the sweet spot no matter if towing or not. On a trip across the Nullarbor a few years back I had a nice little tail wind, was cruising at 95 and had about 5 or 6 other rigs tucked in behind me, all happy enough to let me set the pace when a Ford F250 towing a big Bushtracker van flew past at warp speed and within less than 3 minutes was almost out of sight. I had a real chuckle when I saw him pulled over by the WA Police a couple of hours later and I learned later on that they had made him pull everything out of the F250 and van so that they could do a drugs and firearm search.

I'm going to be so happy when most highway driving is done by the new artificial intelligence systems being developed. We have all seen idiots doing stupid stuff, but the biggest killers out on the big long stretches is fatigue and loss of attention.

130 kph in the NT is OK.
I never leave before 2:30 pm, or you get stuck behind caravaners doing 80 in 130 zone.....pita.
After 2:30, they tend to find a free camp site, and the road is clear.

Latest posts