Waterproof coil depth spp

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey was wondering if anyone knows how deep the coils go on an spp underwater??
I know the control box isnt waterproof but wanting to know the coil depth
And does anyone know of someone that can make my spp waterproof upto at least 30mtrs even if the box has to be changed etc any help would be appreciated :8

Pelican

EDIT:

I meant Pelican cases - sealed, frilly waterproof cases with breathers.
Steve Herscbach converted one of his detectors to full waterproof using one of those cases - I think it may have been a TDI

You have to get a case of the size you need & customise it to suit, Pelican cases will cost twice as much or more than the same type of case from Super Cheap which are virtually identical.

Yeah but i dont know how to do that mate im new n the plan was an infinium ls n the spp gor land but the infinium is shite on hot ground so i thought the coils for the spp are waterproff so why not see if i can get it done even if the control box needs changing who cares i reckon itl be an awesome machine

I'm not sure about the coils etc but the bloke who made the waterproof TDI put the internals of the TDI control box into a waterproof case, pretty much just changed the metal box to a plastic waterproof one, had the dials/knobs etc all sticking through & somehow waterproofed them as well.
There was some pics I seen on another forum somewhere but not sure where, someone else here might know though.

I cant post links but if you have a look at http://w w w.findmall.com/list.php?22

You will find a heap of people have done this kind of thing.

http://w w w.findmall.com/read.php?22,2165484 is a waterproof TDI.

Nuggetbuster said:
Steve Herscbach converted one of his detectors to full waterproof using one of those cases - I think it may have been a TDI

Seems I may be wrong - I can't seem to find the posts on it now

Alls good yeah steve did a tdi but i can only find posts talking about it bo actual pics or plans etc
Im seriously considering just getting some tech wizard to make me a detector using all types of machines so itl be better than whats out id rather spend a few grand that way rather than being limited due to corporate greed this shite of buying 2-3 machines just incase you missed any gold is plain stupid thered be a group of blokes out there that know the machines better than the company that makes them you never know it might actually make a few companies wake up

I started on enclosing mine in a Pelican case but never finished it. The ATX came along and removed the need. I gave up on White's ever doing a waterproof TDI. They came oh so very close it seems and then it just never happened. Unfortunate.

Well thanx for your input mate would you have some plans or equip i need as i want to do this to an spp

And atx no good as i want mine to goto 30-40 mtrs was going to get an infinium but heard they are shit on land especially on hot ground !!!!

I think you will find most Whites land based coils labelled as "waterproof" are only intended for use under a couple of feet of water, and are not rated nor pressure tested for 30-40m depths, and that in itself will be a limiting factor with the SPP. If you were just shallow water hunting then you probably could devise a reasonably waterproof setup, although still with no 100% guarantees the unit won't leak (a bit of a risk on a $1500 detector). Most owners of detectors converted into a sealed housing, either use them in shallow water, or to be made as a "splash proof" unit. I have also seen a few FBS detectors converted as such, though none were ever built with 30-40m water pressures in mind, nor tested in such environments.

Here's a Whites TDi SL mounted in a waterproof casing, though only splashproof, and not waterproof to any great depths.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/whitesgoldmaster/index.php?showtopic=701

There was also mention that the Tdi SL circuit board will fit directly into the Beach Hunter housing, so the SPP will more than likely fit as well, though once again only for use at shallow depths.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?73,1556887

Most Pelican cases are only rated as splash proof as a minimum, whilst at their highest waterproof rating is limited to only 10m on specific cases, so you can probably discount the idea of utilising them pretty quickly for the deep stuff.

Either way, you don't have to spend ATX/Infinium type money on a waterproof detector either, a bottom rung Tesoro Sand Shark PI is waterproof to 200 feet, and only comes in at around $1000, and a Garrett Sea Hunter MK2 is only $300 dearer, also rated at 200 feet, and is considered a very good underwater detector. You could then save the SPP mainly for goldfields duties. Personally I think this would be a more financial sense over the custom build, but once again, just my opinion. :)

Yeah i agree as pelican said they only go underwater with there cases for 40 mins after that seepage but i just want something basic takes heaps of coils n good all rounder whence the spp i dont know much bout detectors but the infinium looked amazing till ppl said it was shit on hot ground n i live on a volcanic fault yet i need to get down in the deep pockets to get the stuff the old timers had no chance of getting due to logistics

Latest posts