war era meat works and homestead need advice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
have found a abandoned meat works and homestead from the war era have poked around and uncovered a water well about 15m deep and is made of bricks (walls) when i got a tourch there is a tunnel running the opposite direction of the creek is this normal or do you reckon it is a decoy am going to go down it but thought i would ask before i bother this is a awsome find talk to locals and no one knows anything about the area

Have a mate with you and one up the top that you can trust as well rory,.... have all the right equipment to get down and up safely,.... make sure there is no bad gas down there before you decend,.... people go down holes in the ground and colapse with no way to save themselves,... don't want to put you off for a minute though, sounds like a good adventure coming up for you,.... take lots of photos and post them for us all,.... good luck down there. :D

silver said:
Have a mate with you and one up the top that you can trust as well rory,.... have all the right equipment to get down and up safely,.... make sure there is no bad gas down there before you decend,.... people go down holes in the ground and colapse with no way to save themselves,... don't want to put you off for a minute though, sounds like a good adventure coming up for you,.... take lots of photos and post them for us all,.... good luck down there. :D

Thats great advice silver..and good luck rory :p

yeah will do guys have vast training in this stuff does anyone now anything about wells is a tunnel off to the side normal

yeah catch 22 i cant atop wondering wat is there have put a gas monitor down there already coming up good have got harness ropes tripod solid anchor points and a mate stupid as i am c'mon the weekend

Grain or supplies storage silos were sometimes dug into the ground and constructed the same way as a well. If there is a deliberate additional cavern, I think it would have a purpose, possibly additional storage which is not consistant with a wet well which draws water from the groundwater.

In the old days if the grain got wet and fermented, it would produce toxic gas and there were known deaths arising.

May family pumped and dug out an old well on our property when I was a lad and there were some great relics recovered.

Be safe and have fun. :cool:

hope you get some good photo;s and find a hoard of forgotten relics.lol.have fun

AtomRat said:
What do you mean by tunnel. Do you mean like a mine tunnel in rock... or a tunnel by they waterwheel like a trench?

yeah a proper tunnel say 5 foot high

rory said:
AtomRat said:
What do you mean by tunnel. Do you mean like a mine tunnel in rock... or a tunnel by they waterwheel like a trench?

And how deep down does it strike out to the side rory(from ground level to the top of the tunnel(roughly) ? :D

We need photos N O W rory :p ,.... the build up and suspence is killing us,.....(well me anyway) :lol: :D

Just checked back again,...... still no photos,.... I can wait !(ha) :D

Hi Rory, You will most likely find it runs to the old meat works, they were used to drain off the blood and water that wood run into the well and soak into the water table,The old timers not tied down with red tape like today, Be very careful in the tunnel, It most likely brick in a dome top if so it will be safe these tunnels were used in most countries in the world for sewerage. Ron.

silver said:
rory said:
AtomRat said:

And how deep down does it strike out to the side rory(from ground level to the top of the tunnel(roughly) ? :D
13 to14 m mate

bluejeansronald said:
Hi Rory, You will most likely find it runs to the old meat works, they were used to drain off the blood and water that wood run into the well and soak into the water table,The old timers not tied down with red tape like today, Be very careful in the tunnel, It most likely brick in a dome top if so it will be safe these tunnels were used in most countries in the world for sewerage. Ron.
meat works is down stream the tunnel is up stream if that is any help

yeah silver wont be any till sat arvo or sun sorry mate finish work to late for a mid week mission haha

Latest posts