wanted layflat 38 mm

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aussiefarmer

Thinks he is funny
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8) I am looking for 38mm layflat up to 50 meters , Have been on eBay etc. Just thought someone on here may want to sell some used hose or maybe the sponsors might want to give me a quote before I get it else where.

Also after stortz couplings if there's any laying about .

:)

aussiefarmer said:
8) I am looking for 38mm layflat up to 50 meters , Have been on eBay etc. Just thought someone on here may want to sell some used hose or maybe the sponsors might want to give me a quote before I get it else where.

I've got some hose in the factory, I will check what size and length tomorrow.

DirtyBob said:
I just emailed this guy on ebay (about 1/2 hour ago). http://stores.ebay.com.au/hosewarehouse/

I bought a cheap 38mm pump that arrived today and I'm a little confused about what fittings I need where so gave them a description and hope they can point me in the right direction.

Found them through an older PA post: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1198 from 2013 - seems they've been around a while.

Oh - and they have lengths of different layflat.

DirtyBob
I would go cam locks as they are easier but we have three pumps set up for farm use and they are all stortz so that's what I will put on lay flat :)

Ryan27 said:
aussiefarmer said:

I've got some hose in the factory, I will check what size and length tomorrow.

8) How did ya go ryan27 find any ?

I've not used camlocks before but seems there are all different types a,b,c,d,e etc. then what do you need for male/female. Got too hard so just asked what I need.

... Haven't had reply yet but got other things to worry about... Like finishing the banker :)

Hi DirtyBob

Some picts of 1 1/2 in (38 mm) pump with camlocks, also bunning (pool hose) suction hose and some invaluable camlock converters for when you go highbanking with someone and their camlocks on their pump are opposite to your setup. (my pump can convert to his highbanker and visa versa).

Like aussie farmer said - camlocks are the way to go.

1441286684_pump.jpg

1441286702_suction.jpg

1441286715_hose.jpg

I have purchased layflat from Total Eden (West Gosford) and when I brought 15 metres they charged me $3.50 a metre which I thought was pretty reasonable.

Forgot to say...I have a male and female fitting on each length of layflat. The highbanker has a male fitting (the pump outlet is female).

The suction hose is female which mates to the male fitting on the pump inlet.

The converters allow me to use my friends pump on my highbanker and my pump on his highbanker.

Clear as mud..hope that helps.

Aluminium camlocks are a bit cheaper than the plastic.

Thanks Johnh001

Those pictures really make it clear as I haven't really seen other peoples pump setups are other than what's on youtube.

I was thinking of making a range of shorter hoses (5m, 10m, 20m etc.) and join them together if I need a long length.

The converters are a good idea.

Did have a few more queries:

The pump inlet is 1 1/2 inch (38mm). Would there be any advantage to putting a 2" suction hose (with an adapter) on the suction side to make it pump more easily or would this have no effect due to the pump inlet size.

The PVC layflat isn't all that expensive - but is it durable (enough)? I know you can get cloth type hoses but I'm looking for something light and only for intermittent use, but don't want to be let down the first time I scrape the hose against a rock.

Thanks

Hi Dirtybob

Stuffed up my own description ... should read female on pump and male on Highbanker.

I don't think putting a 2" suction hose will achieve a great deal because as you say the pump inlet is still small.

You will have no problems supplying enough water to a 8" to 10" highbanker with a 1 1/2" 4 stroke pump, I have a PVC ball value which I use to adjust the flow into the banker, I have never run the pump a full throttle, usually just above idle.

The flow to the highbanker is affected more by the height above water level, particularly when the pump is elevated more so than the highbanker.

I drag my hoses around a fair bit and haven't had a problem with them yet, never used the cloth type so cannot comment. I have a one 10 metre and two 15 metre hoses, furthest I have pumped is about 50 metres and fairly flat.

You probably want a minimum of 10 metres to get the pump away from where your working (hate the monotonous background noise).

When you build the spray bars, the number and size of holes or slots has a big affect on the pressure being delivered to the hopper. I use irrigation fittings and risers which screw together so can be pulled apart and cleaned fairly easily. I step down to 25mm (1") spray bars from the 1 1/2" feed.

Thanks
John

Good info John

Looks like I'll be hitting eBay and Bunnings :)

I have 1" irrigation riser for the spray bay. They're pretty cheap and interchangeable so figure I could mess up a few to get it right.

Haven''t fired up my pump yet but imagine (being a cheapy) it won't be on the quiet side.

I have all the other bits I need for the banker but need to get the aluminium folded up.

Was hoping to get this all together for the Tuena meet but forgot about my wife's Birthday that week. Some people have Birthday's - my wife has a "Birthday Week" so looks like Tuena is out... but have some relatives down Albury way and the El Dorado meet could be a go. Will be a good opportunity to work out how to use it.

Really appreciate your advice.

Rob

Just got an email back from Ben at Connect_Industrial.

He seems to confirm to keep to 1 1/2" on the suction hose and has all the hoses and camlock fittings on his site.

Yay! More presents for Father's Day but these won't fit in the sock draw :)

Rob

Just an update - I've ordered from them:

2x 25m premade hoses with fittings (I'll cut one 10m/15m) - so 50m hose and 4 camlock fittings
6 x camlock fittings of various types
4 pack of T clamps to suit

They did an awesome deal on freight - $20 for the lot (was looking to be about $90 if you add up all the ebay post prices)

They were really good to deal with so assuming all the right things turn up in a week or so - I'm really happy.

DirtyBob

Aussiefarmer, Sorry for the delay mate i got admitted into hospital the afternoon i posted and have just gotten a little better but i will dig it out and have a look this afternoon if you are still after some

jamie said:
Aussiefarmer, Sorry for the delay mate i got admitted into hospital the afternoon i posted and have just gotten a little better but i will dig it out and have a look this afternoon if you are still after some

Yep still haven't bought any , hope you are all healed and thanks for getting back to me. :D

Hope its ok to interupt and ask a similar question on hoses fittings.

I have a mate thats works for the RFS and he is giving me 30m x 38mm canvas lay flat hose. i have to change the fittings and bought cam locks to do that.
My question.
I went to bunnings today to look at the pool hose to use for the intake hose, 9m x 38mm. I took along a 38mm male hose < female cam lock ( male inserts in hose with female cam lock) to see it it fits inside the pool hose but the hose is slightly smaller due to the end piece and wont fit over the end.
Im wondering, do I cut off the end of the pool hose and fit the male strait into the expandable section and use hose clamps , or can I heat the end of the pool hose and force it over the male section of the cam lock and then clamp it with hose clamps ?
9m. Pool hose in bunnings is pretty expensive about $40 for 9 m ..So I dont want to buy it and then stuff it up.
Thanks for any info suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts