Walhalla roadside camping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If mr. Michael Leaney or one of his cronies comes over to tell you in "fairly strong terms" that you should make a contribution towards the shire council if you want to camp on the roadside reserves, you can tell him to "go take a hike" in whichever terms you see fit at that moment.

I suggest you take it a bit more easy when one of the the rangers/shire compliance officers hands you a letter stating that camping is illegal, so as to to stay out of trouble, but you can always show them this article:
http://www.latrobevalleyexpress.com.au/story/219155/camp-confusion-stirs-tourism/#slide=1

Crazy how they would try to bankrupt there own town, tourist are a vital cog in Gippslands wheel.

Well, I can understand Mr. Leaneys motive to try and scare people out of free camping, he owns the hotel and isn't making any money of campers. How and why this fake letter came about though, and why council officers (who supposedly should know better?) would hand them out...?

He should no better than to think if he stops them camping they will book into his hotel, Plus word of mouth that he is clearly a jerk wont help his business either.

I was last in Walhalla in 1968, I still have great memories of the place. I, like all "free campers" do, spend money in towns near where I camp.
I still need to eat, buy petrol, and because I don't spend money on accommodation, I can afford to eat out at places like hotels. I've said before that I can get a shower for no more than $3 and I know, even with a heater on at night, that my caravan uses about $3 in power. So, if I cost $6 a day, why would I want to pay $30+ for a caravan site per night. The $24 I save per day will fuel the car, buy a meal in a pub etc and spreads the money to a number of businesses like servos, milk bars, supermarkets and pubs.

The only thing I leave behind are footprints and a spread of the wealth and if I leave having enjoyed, I'll come back and spread the word.

Conversely, if I leave broke and have not enjoyed because of "attitudes" I won't come back, but I'll still spread the word.........

We 3 of us, stayed in an old tin shed on the left hand side just north of Walhalla in 1967/8. It was dark when we got there so we just lit a fire, had a beer or 2 and rolled out our sleeping bags then slept.
Woke up next morning, cold and shit ourselves. The shed had a million bullet holes int the roof, walls, woodwork etc.
Lucky the lads weren't out that night.
When we got up we had breakfast-baked beans on toast i think, and a beer. We investigated some old mine shafts, the cemetery and as we didn't have metal detectors we did a bit of panning. Great time, friends and memories.
Cheers

Sadly, that attitude is taking place right across Australia.

Places which used to be accessible for camping, fishing, prospecting are being locked by authorities such as NPWS (here in NSW) or free camping by local govt. at the behest of such interest groups as caravan park owners.

In NSW, landowner entitlement stops at the river bank so if one can gain access without crossing the privately owned property part, one can legally fish, prospect whatever.

A friend of mine who owns property with a river running through is aware of this, and anyone who asks will be given information on best places to fish etc.
Other property owners I have encountered will come out waving a stick ordering one off the place. Carrying a letter of entitlement from the Lands Department or a Parish map helps but not always!
mike