Walbanker vs Banjo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smithy42 said:
I've even had the thought of making a simple bucket puddler that has a crank handle and blades too mince up the clay and sticky stuff? Then could possibly make it too be an attachment for your equipment, so their will be an exit out of the bucket that only let's material too a certain size out and falls into the hopper!

Just my thought? But could be a good bright idea, I need too get on the drawing board :D

Cody
I think there is a guy who sells a similar concept on EBay. It might be under a search of clay breaker or puddler?

I did find this from a Google search, something similar in a bucket so a decent amount of material can be put in and worked down would be great..

1450787074_screenshot_2015-12-22-12-09-39.jpg

Interesting find smithy! My problem I've always come across when trying to use a puddler like that, is the rocks that get caught under the rotating blade / stirrer. My clays sometimes have rocks stuck all through it and it would need to be classified somehow b4 making to a clay only puddler.

Did anyone find out if a ram pump can be used or have a look at them. You may be suprised.
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFZYD05I29s[/video]

Yeah Smithy that's a potato masher, What I have found is that I took some cons home, soaked them over night and next day the clay had dissolved, But that doesn't help up at the creek.

What Steve and I are going to do next time as Yobs suggested, is take some extra buckets, fill them with water and fill with paydirt, and rotate them, let them soak for a while so keep digging, the dirt is soaking, take some more dirt down put it in the most recent bucket, and when you're done, you can start with the first bucket you did that's been there the longest. Might have to give it a bit of a going over with your hands.

Just cannot think of anything else. Next time i'm taking my stainless sieve, (flour one) and my stainless scoop, and put that over my pan, put some dirt in, and rub the dirt in the sieve with steel scoop, seems to work ok.

The Hand Water feed Banjo with ladle is now ready to go all I have to do now is put the plans tougher while in camp at night. There is not too much difference in the modern day Banjo and the First run of Banjos we made. But the differences which do exist are important to get right due to the water surge extra get it wrong and you will lose gold. The little unit is very easy to use without back bending and is worked in the same way as stated in post # 27 under Bush Banjo. The addition of the ladle takes care of that problem. This unit is more in line with the Q.L.D Wet Jigger than a Banjo and as such cannot work clay unless it is broken down beforehand.

1%20Copy_zpsp9r5oc0z.jpg

2%20Copy_zpsyytktww6.jpg

3%20Copy_zpszcoweuja.jpg

Ohhhh Jemba I'm excited, just what we need in QLD. I like it, can't wait, have to get some video mate of this beast in action. Good on ya.

Your descripton of its workings sound similar to how i built my rocker mate ...

Wash falls threw the punch plate onto a slick plate, then down onto the first run of carpet, down the carpet onto a finer punch plate/slick plate which is sitting 1/2" above the bottom of the sluice, then down the main carpet. Was suprised how fine the gold was it did catch. I use it for sampling buckets all the time.
Same deal on heavy clay but, gotta puddle it... I just classify to half inch and a stirer attachment for the cordless drill, like to mix render/base coat does the rest. Works well.
The height on yours would be much more preferable to mine. Clearing tailings blows..
Nice camo to :)

1451300541_craddle.jpg

Nice little unit there ballaratgold, where did u get that carpet, it looks good?

ballarat_gold said:
Your descripton of its workings sound similar to how i built my rocker mate ...

Wash falls threw the punch plate onto a slick plate, then down onto the first run of carpet, down the carpet onto a finer punch plate/slick plate which is sitting 1/2" above the bottom of the sluice, then down the main carpet. Was suprised how fine the gold was it did catch. I use it for sampling buckets all the time.
Same deal on heavy clay but, gotta puddle it... I just classify to half inch and a stirer attachment for the cordless drill, like to mix render/base coat does the rest. Works well.
The height on yours would be much more preferable to mine. Clearing tailings blows..
Nice camo to :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4880/1451300541_craddle.jpg

So with this rocker,you throw classified material into the box,then do you throw a bucket of water in and rock it until the material clears?Also I assume that the top box is removable to clear the tailings.Any chance of a photo to see under the top box.The carpet looks like marine carpet,like they put on the floors of boats.Thanks.

AtomRat said:
Interesting find smithy! My problem I've always come across when trying to use a puddler like that, is the rocks that get caught under the rotating blade / stirrer. My clays sometimes have rocks stuck all through it and it would need to be classified somehow b4 making to a clay only puddler.

Did anyone find out if a ram pump can be used or have a look at them. You may be suprised.
Love that AR !
You could make the same with an old pressure dome off a pump(or a piece of PVC) and 2 non-return valves.(Or 2 poly foot valves, one with spring removed and slightly weighted-bolt protruding upwards through cage on picture below))
If you're on a flowing steam just add a funnel and submerse and fasten the lot!
When I was in the Kimberley I looked into a "Dingo" pump for house water without running a Kubota/mono-pump, but never worked out how they work-now I know!!
Basically it's the same/reverse of what happens when you get a pressure lock in a pipeline when you try and run it over a couple of rises-you need air bleeders at the high points- same pressure forces at work!~

Now that IS gold!
Also, if his outlet went directly to the(correctly sized) highbanker jets, instead of up 500 feet of poly, it would supply an intermittent pressure jetting!! A bit slower supply than a pump, but maybe with enough(intermittent) force to break up the clods??? :D
1451310656_dingo_pump.jpg

Eldorado - ... Yup, basically just like that. But i normally bring the buckets home to sample n just use the hose.

Punch plate classifier removed in this pic. It just slips in an out... The rockers covered in leaves n crap sry, but hopefully this pic makes sense for ya mate.

1451315213_rocker_exploded.jpg

B-G Yes indeed the workings are very simular only the little unit dose not rock. Once it is set you put a few shovel full of dirt in the top hopper then flick water on to the wash as described in post #27. The processing of the material is very quick and as you would have found you can become quick in processing the material. As with the rocker they operate very quiet with no noise. I made that little unit for a guy here in Canberra but before I hand it over I will test it first. I have one more unit to make when I get back for a guy in Q.L.D who will do a video of it working this should happen around the end of February Early March. The reason I camo my gear is at times I work a rather long distance from camp, I only take my gear in once and stash it on site till my task is completed.
The puddler you use sounds very interesting mate any chance of a photo and a description on how it works. Cheers.

I have talked about the Q.L.D Wet Jigger this is what they look like.

wet%20jigger_zpstbqojx2i.jpg

1451336383_1476364148.gif

For sure ay, you can smash the material threw them surprisingly quick.

Yeh mate, one of these .. http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/paint-mixer ..

I just fill a 15l bucket bout quarter full of paydirt, then just add water while mixing. When its full of water, let it sit for a sec to let heavies sink then just carefully pour out the silty crap.
If you have a decent cordless drill it really makes a meal of the clay quick as :)

Top little unit Ballarat. Taking that and Jembais' designs into account, I reckon I can modify my A-frame dry blower to work the wet stuff as well by changing the screen to a grizzly and fitting a wet sluice with a screen in underneath.
1451355540_camera_384.jpg

Yeah bloke. I picked up a couple of sheets of thin galv and an old heavy duty steel shelf at the dump the other day-may come in handy. Probably should've picked up the enamelled fridge/oven trays as well, but I had a full load-a wet/dry vax (potential wet/dry gold vacuum), needed a filter bag (washable one $16), a near new 4 stroke mower, which I already have going (water in fuel) and the blade plate removed, to mount a 3/4 pulley driving a car alternator on it for auxillary 12 volt. (my inverter is 3000w/6000w).
So a 12v/660w generator on wheels. Or 2 alternators= 1320w.....
Basically the battery system can operate like a rubber band to run intermittent heavy loads like air compressor/welder/motor start-ups. I will also make a gas producer to run it on wood.
Alternatively a combustion heater/stove could be configured to drive the 12v generator. :)
Also picked up a near new 800w microwave, and a tool box full of large ring spanners and Sidchrome sockets. The things people throw away is a travesty. Too many dollars and not enough sense.
Last week I got a gas/electric fridge(good goer-freezes 4l water overnight). It needs a 240v element-$99 at the caravan shop- I got a different unit (150w vs 160w) off Ebay for $5.01- just gonna take 3-4 weeks to get here. If it doesn't work good enough, well I'm only $5 down. Got a 300w inverter coming($28) to mount on the back of it, so I can run it off one of my 200w panels and a battery(or mini-maximiser circuit) during the day.
The old element was throwing the house lag switch- 180 volts going through the fridge body-lucky I was careful. :eek:

Also, I have a self-piercing fridge valve coming to have a crack at topping up the big Engel with LPG before I resort to a $600+ changeover unit.

Eventually I want to be able to tell the power company to shove it.

Latest posts