Volcanic rock

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wishfull

Peter Johnson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all just wondering if it would be worthwhile detecting on volcanic rock area's. I know of a couple of area's that come out from the sea and go up into sandhills and limestone cliffs that are volcanic rock.

Hey Wishfull... Im pretty sure the active Volcanic area in ViC was from 7000 thousands years to 3 million years ago, so most of the gold bearing areas were before that time, so im guessing its underneath the basalt areas. I don't know how deep it was but they did find gold in Richmond back in the 1800s and Melbourne was supposed to be a volcanic plain and im guessing it was the same in SA.
The last volcanic ares AUS were Mt Gamier and MT Napier so you never know mate.

My understanding is that Victorian Gold largely formed around 440 to 480 million years back, so recent volcanic activity likely overflowed that. I have heard though that where igneous meets the metamorphic are good regions to detect in the GT for larger gold. Anyone care to comment?

To much limestone down here in Mt Gambier to get through for detectable gold. Drill testing around kingston/Beachport area found gold on the bedrock at 70m. a couple of years ago. Dunno if it was payable though.

Don't know mate but who knows what the volcanoes spewed up? There might be the world biggest nugget waiting to be discovered sitting right on top of the basalt. :D just give it a go Wishfull. ;)

VLF's & Minelab PI detectors love basalt. They will range from a signal every sweep in some areas to just picking up the odd bit here & there in others. Gold wise the basalt usually tends to cap or overlay the gold. The areas I've detected that contain gold & basalt are where the basalt has weathered or degraded over time into rocks of varying sizes & the gold appears to be intermingled with it not contained within it.

Wishfull said:
Yeah will give it ago soon. I'll let you all know if I get any targets worth mentioning. Where is GT ? being from S.A. I'm supposing it's in the Grampians Table lands ?
GT is the Golden Triangle in Victoria.Draw a triangle between Wedderburn,Avoca and Castlemaine and there it is.

Thanks Eldorado that figures.

Also thanks to mbasko that is interesting. The rocks in the area I'm refering to are very weathered so could be interesting. Trouble is the rocks are large as in tons to marble in size just getting in between them to detect is going to be awkward.

Cheers

I subscribe to the volcano theory and gold detecting.
Go for your life and hope it's productive.
Let us know if you find a 1 ton nugget! :)

Latest posts