Visiting Family In Sydney in January Looking to do some prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
teesha said:
Hi everyone.
I have just joined and will be honest up front - I have no idea of how to prospect but my partner and I are keen to learn all there is to know about prospecting and its history as well...We are in Sydney and looking to head out in a couple of weeks. Not sure where to go but from what I can see on here, Bathurst region appears to be the go? would that be right. Is anyone able to give me any suggestions on what we will need etc. We have a "panning kit" but obviously need much more. Thanks. By the way. It has been really nice reading the threads - you all seem so welcoming and friendly - it is very pleasant to read.

Teesha

You should go to Tuena as well, id like to get out there but may be up at Windeyer for that weekend. Tuena is a top spot for seeing what its all about and the gold is there, wouldnt hurt to see where some "big activity" is an do a few pans near by. The gold is often in the top layer (1 foot) so be cautious about digging to china.....dig shallow for a better return in my experience. Watch a few vids on panning and then just jump in the deep end. Make sure you both have pans, a sieve helps classify the big stuff out of your pan....some gloves and a small shovel although I use my hands a lot...and most importantly a little gold sucker to get those bits of gold easily. The rest of it is about having a great night by a campfire and looking at the stars and just having a ball being out in the aussie outback. The store there sells everything so thats also a bonus. In the middle of nowhere and you can buy a nice bottle of wine, has showers and toilets, what more could you want!

CaliGoldDigger said:
Twapster and GaryO, from what you are telling and showing me i should find nothing smaller than small pickers and big ass nuggets.

Well its all official we will be at the Tuena caravan park from Jan 23rd to the 25th, even got my Aussie Family to come out camping for the weekend, i don't know if they ever been camping, they were on Facebook asking friends to borrow camping gear.
I hope a bunch of you can make it out that weekend, look forward to prospecting Aussie style there in a few weeks, which probably isn't a lot different than how we do it in the states, maybe on the other side of the river?

Thanks
Kevin
We might have to get there early and throw a few bits around to ensure we don't let u down .
Ps .. Not sure if u get called Kev much but that will be your official Aussie name while u are here :) .

I have been called MUCH worse! well i will be leaving Cali here in about 20 hours. also do i need to buy a permit? i am sure i can do that once i am there. ill update everyone on my contact info once i get in country. hope to see a lot of you then.
thanks
Kev

no permit required for the place where you will be going

In this state ( NSW ) a permit is only required if going in to a state forest

The rules are different in other states but you will be fine here

Ok well I have landed and recovered from a 30 hours in airports or on a plane thanks to delays. Getting excited for next weekend. My local number if anyone wants to contact me is xxxxxxxxx, text might be easier.

As per forum rules, no private tel no's on display.
Removed
Jaros :|

So what fossicking gear do you have to take away Kev ?
I can help u out with pans stuff , and still hope I can throw some hoses and things together to get the sluice going to take with me.

Hi Kevin,
I reckon, that if your looking for the best Australia Day experience, its best to get out into the rural areas. Most small country towns have Australia Day BBQ's and celebrations and speeches put on by the local councils.
It's a great way to meet some Aussies and be swamped by warmth and hospitality.
Best wishes
TD

I brought a bazooka gold trap (mini) pan and scoop and sucker tube for all my gold. Yeah hope to borrow/use someones high banker or powere sluice. Or even Hire one if I can but I havnt seen anyplace that hires prospecting equipment.

Thanks TD we are staying in Darling Harbour over Australia Day. But I know what you are talking about I have spent the first 5 days of my trip meeting dozens of fantastic people and rural areas are where I feel most at home, that's why I love prospecting.

Kevin , did you end up getting in touch with goldrocs before leaving to make sure his offer was still on the table ?

If he doesn't get back to you shoot me a text and I will come down

Best wishes

Hey Headsup , id say Kev would be on the road by now so may not see your post. Last contact with him he hadnt heard from anyone re equipment use.
I was taking my small sluice down for him to use 2mora when I get there , so today he was going to sus out some spots . It would still be good if u come down if u have the time . Im a bit of a noob at locating flood gold runs so any help is appreciated :)

GaryO said:
Hey Headsup , id say Kev would be on the road by now so may not see your post. Last contact with him he hadnt heard from anyone re equipment use.
I was taking my small sluice down for him to use 2mora when I get there , so today he was going to sus out some spots . It would still be good if u come down if u have the time . Im a bit of a noob at locating flood gold runs so any help is appreciated :)

I am recovering from a couple of nice bouts of heatstroke I was gifted working down a hole on Tuesday and Thursday but if he has no reply from goldrocs I may shoot down there .

I texted to his phone but if he is already there he won't get it until he drives 30 minutes out of tuena

Goldrocs said:
Hi,if you are passing TUENA GOLDFIELD on your way to hillend drop in to the caravan park,
There are heaps of spots to have a look for some nice flood gold,and you also have a detect
you are quite welcome to use my highbanker pans and detector for your stay...
CHeers Goldrocs
Dave...

Has anyone seen Goldrocs ?

He didnt fall in to the creek or anything ?

seems he couldnt be found on the weekend when our guest arrived at Tuena and i was stuck with problems at home so didnt go either.

Sorry Kevin :(

Had a Blast. thanks to Gary again for coming out and taking the time to dig some dirt with this American gold digger. just got home to California and already have the video half done should have finished tomorrow.
thanks again
Kevin

Latest posts