Victorian Miners Right information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northeast said:
Check your deleted folder in your emails. Should be kept in there for quite some time after you deleted it. Or search your emails for it. Or check your deleted deleted folder - such a thing does exist in many email programs. Which do you use - Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook??
I have checked it all. I usually delete my junk and deleted emails a few times a day so maybe thars where it is. Thanks Ne

$23 or so for 10 years mate, just put it down to experience and just buy another one.
Next time print it out and save the file on your desktop.

They didn't allow that because I'm already registered. Apparently can't register twice. Using the same details anyway.

Hi Victorians

Planning on a trip or two to GT October and November.
When i checked exactly how to apply for Miners right I found this
Copied from http://earthresources.vic.gov.au/earth-resources-regulation/recreational-prospecting-and-fossicking

Miner's rights

In Victoria, recreational prospectors must have a miner's right to search for minerals on Crown land or private land where the activity is allowed. In addition to holding a miner's right, recreational prospectors are expected to seek permission to access land as explained here. A miner's right can only be issued to an individual and not corporations.

Miner's rights are not to be confused with tourist fossicking authorities or prospecting licences which are separate authorities requiring consent to be granted (may be subject to conditions) or refused. Unlike miner's rights, these authorities require the application for the granting of the authority to identify the land to be accessed. Tourist fossicking authorities and prospecting licences can be issued to individuals or corporations.

Do i need to apply for a Miners right and prospecting license??

Any info appreciated.
Neil

Thank you for accepting me, Admin. I am a total newbie and trying to get my head around some issues. Have spent quite some time trying to read the fact sheets on the Dept Mines etc (WA) website and am totally confused.
a) With the Miner's Right: When do you have to upgrade from the $25 Miner's Right to the $325 or whatever it now, Prospector's licence / higher fee level?
b) If it happened to rain inland somewhere, a river started to flow and we wanted to have a go at panning for gold, do we still need to have a Miner's Right?
Thanks so much.

The $25 for life miners right is all you need to swing a metal detector or use pans, sieves etc (hand tools). No power tools of any kind are allowed. Make sure you read and follow the rules on where you can go. There's a lot of ground available to the amateur prospector. If it happened to rain somewhere inland you'd be hoping you were somewhere else. The water can come and go very quickly and your chances of panning for gold in Western Australia are very limited. Once it rains the best you can do is stay put on high ground until it clears. The ground quickly becomes boggy but usually drys out within a few days.

If you want to have a go at panning for gold your best chance is to research some of the historic gold occurrences near the coast where water flows for more than a few hours at a time. You are unlikely to find much gold in these areas but some still enjoy the hobby. The mining museum/tourist mine in Kalgoorlie has a running stream with fine gold that's great for a fun afternoon panning. It's the only place I know of that has an inland stream that runs.

Thanks, Money Box. Really appreciate you responding. Yep, have lived and worked on a number of stations out of Meeka, Newman, Marble Bar and Hedland, so do know what it's like when it rains. It probably was a dumb question in retrospect. Sorry.
However, could you please explain to me what a 'Special Prospecting Licence for Gold' on the dmp website. Sorry. I am unable to post the link but it's under their fees and charges section.
Cheers.

Hi mate and welcome
1514367810_25.jpg

zigzagps said:
Thanks, Money Box. Really appreciate you responding. Yep, have lived and worked on a number of stations out of Meeka, Newman, Marble Bar and Hedland, so do know what it's like when it rains. It probably was a dumb question in retrospect. Sorry.
However, could you please explain to me what a 'Special Prospecting Licence for Gold' on the dmp website. Sorry. I am unable to post the link but it's under their fees and charges section.
Cheers.
Welcome to the forum :)
A Special prospecting licence for gold (SPL) is where you peg a small (max. 10 hectare) lease within an existing lease to look for gold.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&..._Licence.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3TiRoDrf7fuOsPNKkei7-y

garridge said:
Hi, Can I use an electric dredge?

NO simply NO DREDGING ALLOWED full stop. Their are people who do and tell people it's ok :N:. Plain and simple it's not legal and as far as I'm concerned NOT ACCEPTABLE.

The decent people in the prospecting community end up victims of these illegal practices. Join a club and learn from the people within how, to prospect where and what is and isn't allowed. If you don't want to join a club contact earth resources and find out from them and be prepared to read plenty.

ok I am new to all of this but do I need the Miners Right permit
$25 for 10years ?.

and besides the metal detector what other gear will I need?

Thanks, all in advance

Latest posts